xbox app not recognizing external storage

Discus and support xbox app not recognizing external storage in XBoX Games and Apps to solve the problem; I've tried for an hour following all the steps in other guides Including; checking for the latest system update, restarting my pc and changing default... Discussion in 'XBoX Games and Apps' started by Louis_746, Nov 25, 2021.

1. Louis_746
    Louis_746 Guest

I've tried for an hour following all the steps in other guides Including; checking for the latest system update, restarting my pc and changing default install locations in settings and the Xbox app the last one is the most confusing part for me because the app allows me to set my external hard drive as the default installation location but when I try to install a game it auto selects my hhd drive and shows me this
    xbox app not recognizing external storage [​IMG]

:)

Louis_746, Nov 25, 2021
  2. Jesse E' Win User

Hello, My name is Jesse. I'm an Independent Advisor and a member of the Microsoft community and I'd love to assist you today.

- Open Windows 10 File Explorer (Windows + E), locate and right-click on the USB drive, select "Format".

- Set the NTFS as the target file system, tick "Quick Format" and click "Start" to start the formatting.

- When the process completes, click "OK" to confirm.

Afterwards try to use it again.
  3. M3tal Daz3 Win User

accessories

When you connect a compatible external storage drive, Xbox One will prompt you to format the drive and walk you through setting it up to store games and apps.

The basic requirements for storing games and apps on an external drive are:

Has capacity of 256 GB or more, and

Uses USB 3.0.

Devices that don’t meet these requirements will be treated as media storage, such as for music or video. If you have a storage device that does meet these requirements for game and app storage, you can cancel the format to use it as a media device.

If your console doesn’t recognize your external drive, see:

support.xbox.com/.../console-doesnt-detect-external-storage
  4. Dageto Kraft Win User

External hard drive xbox one

To use external storage with Xbox One games and apps, your hard drive must:

• Hold 128 GB or more
    • Connect via USB 3.0
    When you first connect, Xbox will prompt you to format your device. You can use it for Xbox games and apps, or for personal media such as pictures, music, and video. (Xbox will treat devices that don’t meet the above requirements as media storage.)

If your Xbox doesn’t recognize your external drive, see Troubleshoot external storage detection on Xbox One.

Note Xbox will recognize only two external drives at one time.

If you cancel formatting when you connect a storage device, you can set it up later:

1. Press the Xbox button to open the guide and select System > Settings > System > Storage.
    2. Select your device, and then select Format for games & apps.
  5. onyxishere Win User

External Hard Drive Help

6. XBF Crystal P Win User

Formatting external hard drive

Hi there EvanZook,

Thanks for reaching out here in Xbox Forums. I understand there is a question with formatting an external hard drive. Unfortunately, formatting an external hard drive will remove what is saved on the HD.

When you first connect, Xbox will prompt you to format your device. You can use it for Xbox games and apps, or for personal media such as pictures, music, and video. (Xbox will treat devices that don’t meet the above requirements as media storage.)

If your Xbox doesn’t recognize your external drive, see Troubleshoot external storage detection on Xbox One.

Note Xbox will recognize only two external drives at one time.

If you cancel formatting when you connect a storage device, you can set it up later:

1. Press the Xbox button to open the guide and select System >
      Settings > System > Storage.
    2. Select your device, and then select Format for games & apps.

Hope this helps.
Thema:

1. xbox app not recognizing external storage - Similar Threads - app recognizing external

2. xbox companion app has stopped recognizing my controller, all games on steam have no...

in XBoX Games and Apps
    xbox companion app has stopped recognizing my controller, all games on steam have no...: I started paying for Xbox app last week and loved playing halo and gears 5 on controller, and then yesterday my controller just stopped being recognized by the x box app. I can play halo on steam...
  3. Xbox app on PC not recognizing GamePass ultimate subscription

in XBoX Accessibility
    Xbox app on PC not recognizing GamePass ultimate subscription: [img] How do I fix this? f57306c5-8605-48e7-9799-69d42e0ce7c4
  4. xbox game pass ultimate not being recognized on the xbox app

in XBoX Games and Apps
    xbox game pass ultimate not being recognized on the xbox app: I got xbox game pass ultimate from a gift card but when i try to download or play a game that is on xbox game pass it says that i need to buy xbox game pass then when I try to buy it it says that...
  5. Xbox PC App Recognizes External Drive But Doesn't Let Games To Download On It

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Xbox PC App Recognizes External Drive But Doesn't Let Games To Download On It: In Xbox PC App's settings I can see both my drives. [img] However when I want to download games, the E drive only appears in some games, only a few actually. Here are examples from Forza...
  6. 8bitdo SN30 pro Xbox Controller Not Recognized by Xbox App

in XBoX on Consoles
    8bitdo SN30 pro Xbox Controller Not Recognized by Xbox App: Hello. I've playing with an 8bitdo Sn30 Pro Xbox Edition Controller in my pc for a while through Steam and GeForceNow. The interesting part is that Steam and the Windows OS recognize without any...
  7. Xbox App does not recognize me as Admin

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Xbox App does not recognize me as Admin: Having an issue, games in the Xbox app that say "Administrator Approval Required" cannot be installed, instead it gives me an error that says "Something Unexpected happened" I've gotten on the...
  8. Xbox app not recognizing my external hard drive

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Xbox app not recognizing my external hard drive: I have set new content to be saved right onto my external hard drive from the storage settings and on the Xbox app, yet the Xbox still doesn't recognize the hard drive when going to install, and...
  9. New external hard drive recognized for media - won't format for games and apps.

in XBoX Games and Apps
    New external hard drive recognized for media - won't format for games and apps.: I just bought a 3tb USB 3.0 Seagate expansion external hard drive and I'm having this same issue. I've tried everything you have and nothing works. The Setting>Power and Startup, and turn off the...
  10. New external hard drive recognized for media - won't format for games and apps.

in XBoX Games and Apps
    New external hard drive recognized for media - won't format for games and apps.: I've just purchased a 2tb USB 3.0 Seagate external hard drive for extra game storage. When I plugged it into the xbox one it was immediately recognized, but only for media. No menu came up for me...