Xbox App on PC does not recognize prior installations?

Discus and support Xbox App on PC does not recognize prior installations? in XBoX Games and Apps to solve the problem; I had to format my PC and reinstall windows. I have the 107GB Forza Horizon 5 installed on another disk. Why cant the Xbox App for PC recognize those... Discussion in 'XBoX Games and Apps' started by Capt_, Jul 5, 2022.

1. Capt_
    Capt_ Guest

I had to format my PC and reinstall windows. I have the 107GB Forza Horizon 5 installed on another disk.

Why cant the Xbox App for PC recognize those files instead of forcing me to download the entire 107gb game again?

The windows store and Xbox app for PC experience is so poor.

:)

Capt_, Jul 5, 2022
  2. Capt_ Win User

Yes! It really shouldn't matter which directory though, that's just bad implementation, more so when you can pick any location you want while installing.

Thanks anyways. 107gb is just far too much to dl all over again.
  3. Lucas Lauer Win User

Hello, Capt_. Thanks for reaching out. I'm Lucas, an Independent Advisor and a Microsoft user just like you. I'll be glad to help you out.

Usually when this happens, when you try to "install" the game again, it will download and install in just a few seconds because of the prior installation. When you actually click to install it the Xbox app will "find" the prior installation and the installation progress will go up very quickly. Have you tried to click on install to see how it goes?

Just make sure the game installation drive is the same on the Xbox app.

Let me know how it goes and feel free to ask back any question.
  4. Lucas Lauer Win User

Did you select the same drive and folder to install it?
  5. Lucas Lauer Win User

I believe that since you formatted your PC and reinstalled Windows, the game license could have been lost. The game license is not saved on the game folder. This is why you will need to download and install a game from the beginning even if you copy/paste the game folder from another computer to your own computer.

Initially I thought that since the game was installed on another HD/partition, the game license could also have been saved there. But now I think it was probably saved on the partition that Windows was installed (the one you formatted), since it is linked to Windows native apps (Microsoft store and the Xbox app). That's why you are having this behavior from the Xbox app.

I'm sorry about this my friend.
  6. Capt_ Win User

Does not work. Its downloading the entire game right now.
Thema:

1. Xbox App on PC does not recognize prior installations? - Similar Threads - App does recognize

2. What does triangle logo mean at the bottom corner of games and apps tiles on my Xbox Series X?

in XboX Insiders
    What does triangle logo mean at the bottom corner of games and apps tiles on my Xbox Series X?: All of the sudden all my games and apps that have installed on internal HD and External HD memory storages. I'm curious what it means. I noticed it when deciding to use my console last night....
  3. Xbox app in pc does not detect games after reinstall

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Xbox app in pc does not detect games after reinstall: For some reason I need to reinstall my xbox app for pc. After reinstall, it did not detect the games installed via xbox app before, except games from Ubisoft. You can see that it only shows far...
  4. Game Pass App does not recognize already installed games.

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Game Pass App does not recognize already installed games.: Have two hard drives. Primary drive took a dump and I had to replace and reinstall windows. Redownload Xbox Game Pass App and can't find a way for the app to recognize the games on the secondary...
  5. Xbox App does not recognize me as Admin

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Xbox App does not recognize me as Admin: Having an issue, games in the Xbox app that say "Administrator Approval Required" cannot be installed, instead it gives me an error that says "Something Unexpected happened" I've gotten on the...
  6. Xbox app on PC does not recognize that I'm online.

in XBoX on Windows
    Xbox app on PC does not recognize that I'm online.: I keep getting this error message when trying to play a game: "You need to be online to open this on this device. To open this on this device when offline, go to the ‘Offline Permissions’ setting...
  7. Xbox app on PC won't recognize that I own the game pass while the microsoft store does...

in XBoX on Windows
    Xbox app on PC won't recognize that I own the game pass while the microsoft store does...: I was looking to purchase the Game Pass for PC again when it said I had a payment overdue. I went to the Microsoft website to pay that off and after I did it it said my subscription ends on June...
  8. PC Xbox app does not recognize that I have Gamepass Ultimate.

in XBoX on Windows
    PC Xbox app does not recognize that I have Gamepass Ultimate.: I have game pass ultimate, I sign in on my PC, and it says I don’t have game pass. I can’t download or play anything without it telling me to buy game pass...which I already own. Seems like a...
  9. Games Pass for PC- Does not recognize Games Pass purchase in app

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Games Pass for PC- Does not recognize Games Pass purchase in app: Issue with getting games pass to work with PC app. Purchased games pass, but showing message in Settings>Subscriptions> "We encountered an error and your subscriptions failed to load." Attempted...
  10. Xbox one accessories app does not recognize elite controller

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Xbox one accessories app does not recognize elite controller: I try to connect the xbox one elite, but when i start the app an plug the Controller into my pc nothing happens. it does not recognize my Controller. Does anyone have a solution?...