Xbox Controller Stopped Working

Discus and support Xbox Controller Stopped Working in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; Hi, all; I was in the middle of playing a game when out of nowhere all buttons stopped working despite the controller staying connected. I tried... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by AfraidCone10431, May 15, 2019.

1. Xbox Controller Stopped Working

Hi, all;

I was in the middle of playing a game when out of nowhere all buttons stopped working despite the controller staying connected. I tried installing new batteries to that controller, and the controller reconnected but still had no button input. I tried using
    my other controller which weirdly had the same exact problem. The keyboard I have connected to the console still worked, so I tried using a micro-USB cable to connect the controllers to the Xbox directly to no avail. I have power-cycled the Xbox with both
    the 10-second press-and-hold method and disconnecting the Xbox power supply entirely. It seems very odd to me that both controllers, without any prior warning or issue, magically stopped working.

If anyone knows how to fix this issue, please let me know as Xbox/Microsoft's current best solution has been, "Just buy a new controller," which I'd rather not do as they are expensive and I can't afford to "just buy a new one."

:)

AfraidCone10431, May 15, 2019
  2. XBF Ruben D Win User

Hey there!

Thank you for letting us know that the issue has been fixed. We'll be locking the thread as the issue has been resolved. If you ever require any help with any other issues please feel free to come back to the Xbox Forums for further assistance.
    For those reading this thread and if the troubleshooting steps listed above didn't help resolve the issue, please feel free to create a new thread asking for assistance.

Thank you again for posting on Xbox Forums and have a great day!
  3. TheHooniganTX Win User

Hi AfraidCone10431,

This is frustrating. It has happened to myself a few times over a few consoles. First step is seeing if there is an update for the controllers.

Update Xbox Controller steps: https://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-one/accessories/update-controller-for-stereo-headset-adapter

Another issue if the update doesn't work could be the button mapping: https://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-one/controllers/wireless-controller-solution

Hopefully it was just an update issue. If the problem persists please reach out to us again, there is plenty of help here!

Happy Gaming!
  4. gds1972 Win User

Xbox controller stopped working

5. gds1972 Win User

Hi

If the controller does not turn on when you connect it I would first suggest you try using an alternate USB cable and if possible also try connecting it to an Xbox One console to see if the same thing still occurs.
  6. Mister Quasar Win User

Hi GanglyGiant367!

To make sure, can you verify that your Windows 10 PC is
    fully up to date
    with the latest device drivers?

If the controller and the computer are both fully updated, then you would need to look into options for replacing that controller. There's more info in the

Xbox One repair guide
    under "Accessory replacement" that can help you get started if you need to.
Thema:

1. Xbox Controller Stopped Working - Similar Threads - Controller Stopped Working

2. Controller Randomly stops working

in XBoX on Consoles
    Controller Randomly stops working: I've found a couple posts on this issue, but all were locked without any actual answers posted. Starting a couple days ago my controller started randomly not responding for me. When it does this...
  3. Since the latest update my home button on the controller stopped working. Anyone else?

in XboX Insiders
    Since the latest update my home button on the controller stopped working. Anyone else?: So for example, if I click a game, the only way to go back to the main menu is to completely restart the console manually. submitted by /u/Snowstandards [link] [comments]
  4. Controller connections completely stop working

in XBoX on Consoles
    Controller connections completely stop working: Hi, I'm looking for some help. I have a first generation One console and experiencing a really annoying issue: the controller link randomly crash. I say "controller link" it's about wireless, usb...
  5. Multiple Xbox One wireless controller's headphone jack stopped working

in XBoX on Consoles
    Multiple Xbox One wireless controller's headphone jack stopped working: Hello, I have seen this question posted on many threads, but it won't answer my question. This happened on 2 controllers, along with many other people that have the same prob;em. The headphone...
  6. Both headphones and Controllers stopped working with the 3.5mm jack not detected on Xbox...

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Both headphones and Controllers stopped working with the 3.5mm jack not detected on Xbox...: Hi I am having the same problem at the moment, The game I was playing ''Apex Legends'' was all working perfectly with sound through the headphones then when I turned off the Xbox for a couple of...
  7. Audio Output on Xbox One Controller Stopped Working

in XBoX on Consoles
    Audio Output on Xbox One Controller Stopped Working: After about 9 months of use, the audio output to headphones on one on my xbox one controllers stopped working. The headphones work fine on my other controllers. The controller is up to date. Any...
  8. Controller randomly stops working

in XBoX on Consoles
    Controller randomly stops working: For the past 2 days my buddy and I will be in a party playing together and then mid match my controller stops responding. None of the buttons work, not even the home button. I tried taking the...
  9. My xbox one s controller sound suddenly stopped working.

in XBoX on Consoles
    My xbox one s controller sound suddenly stopped working.: Hello. Last night i was playing xbox with my new controller i bought a couple months ago. This morning i then woke up to discover that no sound will come from the controller when i plug my headset...
  10. Xbox One Controller stops working Windows 10

in XBoX on Windows
    Xbox One Controller stops working Windows 10: Hello, I am having an issue where my Xbox One S and original xbox one controllers stop working mid-game. If I alt-tab out and into the program is starts working again but quickly stops. I have...