Xbox Controller Stopped Working

Discus and support Xbox Controller Stopped Working in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; Hi, all; I was in the middle of playing a game when out of nowhere all buttons stopped working despite the controller staying connected. I tried... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by AfraidCone10431, May 15, 2019.

1. Xbox Controller Stopped Working

Hi, all;

I was in the middle of playing a game when out of nowhere all buttons stopped working despite the controller staying connected. I tried installing new batteries to that controller, and the controller reconnected but still had no button input. I tried using
    my other controller which weirdly had the same exact problem. The keyboard I have connected to the console still worked, so I tried using a micro-USB cable to connect the controllers to the Xbox directly to no avail. I have power-cycled the Xbox with both
    the 10-second press-and-hold method and disconnecting the Xbox power supply entirely. It seems very odd to me that both controllers, without any prior warning or issue, magically stopped working.

If anyone knows how to fix this issue, please let me know as Xbox/Microsoft's current best solution has been, "Just buy a new controller," which I'd rather not do as they are expensive and I can't afford to "just buy a new one."

:)

AfraidCone10431, May 15, 2019
  2. XBF Ruben D Win User

Hey there!

Thank you for letting us know that the issue has been fixed. We'll be locking the thread as the issue has been resolved. If you ever require any help with any other issues please feel free to come back to the Xbox Forums for further assistance.
    For those reading this thread and if the troubleshooting steps listed above didn't help resolve the issue, please feel free to create a new thread asking for assistance.

Thank you again for posting on Xbox Forums and have a great day!
  3. TheHooniganTX Win User

Hi AfraidCone10431,

This is frustrating. It has happened to myself a few times over a few consoles. First step is seeing if there is an update for the controllers.

Update Xbox Controller steps: https://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-one/accessories/update-controller-for-stereo-headset-adapter

Another issue if the update doesn't work could be the button mapping: https://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-one/controllers/wireless-controller-solution

Hopefully it was just an update issue. If the problem persists please reach out to us again, there is plenty of help here!

Happy Gaming!
  4. gds1972 Win User

Xbox controller stopped working

5. gds1972 Win User

Hi

If the controller does not turn on when you connect it I would first suggest you try using an alternate USB cable and if possible also try connecting it to an Xbox One console to see if the same thing still occurs.
  6. Mister Quasar Win User

Hi GanglyGiant367!

To make sure, can you verify that your Windows 10 PC is
    fully up to date
    with the latest device drivers?

If the controller and the computer are both fully updated, then you would need to look into options for replacing that controller. There's more info in the

Xbox One repair guide
    under "Accessory replacement" that can help you get started if you need to.
Thema:

1. Xbox Controller Stopped Working - Similar Threads - Controller Stopped Working

2. Xbox One Controller stops working Windows 10

in XBoX on Windows
    Xbox One Controller stops working Windows 10: Hello, I am having an issue where my Xbox One S and original xbox one controllers stop working mid-game. If I alt-tab out and into the program is starts working again but quickly stops. I have...
  3. XBox One Controller randomly stops working since update on 4/17

in XBoX on Consoles
    XBox One Controller randomly stops working since update on 4/17: Hi. I have seen a lot of posts online about controllers not working, but none that seem specific to the behavior I am experiencing, which seemed to begin after an update on 4/17. About once a...
  4. Headset stopped working with wireless controller

in XBoX Accessibility
    Headset stopped working with wireless controller: My son's headset has stopped working with his Xbox One wireless controller. He's only had it since Jan and was working fine to start with. Can't seem to find any way to contact Microsoft in NZ to...
  5. Xbox One controller stops responding on PC and requires a restart to work again.

in XBoX on Windows
    Xbox One controller stops responding on PC and requires a restart to work again.: Just as the title says. This problem has been happening for months now. If I have my controller connected to my PC regardless of if I'm actually using it or not, the controller will become...
  6. Controllers stop working after update

in XBoX on Consoles
    Controllers stop working after update: After the last update my controllers don't work anymore. Tried wireless no respons Tried with cable no respons tested it with 2 different controllers Only the xbox lighting button still works....
  7. Meu controle parou de funcionar. [Translation - My control has stopped working.]

in XBoX on Consoles
    Meu controle parou de funcionar. [Translation - My control has stopped working.]: Olá meu xbox one s estava funcionando perfeitamente. Ocorre que nos últimos dias o controle nao sincroniza mais. Ja fiz o procedimento de reset, nao há atualização pendente e ja testei em outros...
  8. When I connect my Xbox one S controller to my phone via Bluetooth the wifi stops working

in XBoX on Mobile
    When I connect my Xbox one S controller to my phone via Bluetooth the wifi stops working: My device's model number is PSP7501DUO I'm running Android 6.0. So basically when for example I want to use my Xbox One S controller for navigating the Google play store I can't because it shows...
  9. Xbox Scuf Controller- Left stick stopped working when pressed down

in XBoX Accessibility
    Xbox Scuf Controller- Left stick stopped working when pressed down: So I was playing Fortnite for a couple of hours today when I decide to take a break. 3-4 hours go by and I hop on Fortnite again to play the new season, what I come to find is that my left stick...
  10. Xbox one controller headphone jack stopped working?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox one controller headphone jack stopped working?: I use a SADES 807 gaming headset, yesterday my headphone jack stopped working, it’s not an old controller, I just got it for christmas new in the box, I’ve tried taking out the batteries,...