Xbox cuts off and dies after 10-20 mins - apparent hdd failure. Help?

Discus and support Xbox cuts off and dies after 10-20 mins - apparent hdd failure. Help? in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; I've had my Xbox 360 for around 18 months. It is a slim 250gb. It has always worked perfectly, but around an hour ago I was playing a game when it... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by Mr LRDJ, Oct 31, 2014.

1. Mr LRDJ
    Mr LRDJ Guest

I've had my Xbox 360 for around 18 months. It is a slim 250gb. It has always worked perfectly, but around an hour ago I was playing a game when it suddenly cut out and wouldn't reboot until it was unplugged at the mains. I tried again and it did it once
    more, so I tested it a third time and once again it died. I contacted Microsoft who took me through some steps. The console seemed to work OK with no HDD but would die very fast with the HDD in. They told me to look through it and see if there were any corrupted
    files (which there were) and delete them. I did this but it still did not work and keeps cutting out. I've been advised to test the HDD in another system but cannot do that for a week, so has anybody got any advice on possible causes and fixes?

:)

Mr LRDJ, Oct 31, 2014
  2. Instant on mode with and Ext HDD.

i just did a "test". first i left the box labled "When xbox is off, turn off storage" and for about 5 mins the both my xbox and HDD wasquiet then the LED on the HDD turned on. ok fine. then after about 10 -15seconds it turned off. then again 10 seconds later
    it turned on. so i listened and every 10 seconds it would spin up and then turn off. i waited for about 20 mins seeing if it would stp but it never did. then i went and unchecked the box and the same thing. would spin my HDD up for 10 secs then turn off for
    10 secs. it doesnt take a genius to tell that somthing is wrong with that. thereis no reason it should make the HDD turn on and off every 10 seconds.

Untill this stupid instant on mode is fixed ill be stuck with the ever worse energy saver mode. and yes i ubderstand if it weredownloading something it would do that. but i shouldnt. if it wereto be downloading something it shouldnt turn the HDD on and off
    every 10 seconds!!

ChewableTube48, Oct 31, 2014
  3. Destiny only plays for 10 minutes before losing connection

Nope still doesn't work Xbox cuts off and dies after 10-20 mins - apparent hdd failure. Help? :( Still cuts out after 10 mins of play. Any other suggestions?

STEELWaRRioR 9, Oct 31, 2014
  4. onyxishere
    onyxishere Guest

Unfortunately it looks as though there may be an issue with the hard drive. However, another option to try is to see if the console works with a different hard drive as well. If you have any friends who can bring theirs over that would be a good test too.

If the console does the same thing with someone else's drive then the console should be repaired.

onyxishere, Oct 31, 2014
  5. Mr LRDJ
    Mr LRDJ Guest
    Thanks onyx62is, I'll try that.

Mr LRDJ, Oct 31, 2014
  6. Mr LRDJ
    Mr LRDJ Guest
    Update:

I have left the console overnight and it seems to be working perfectly fine. It has not shut off once in over and hour, so all things look good.

Mr LRDJ, Nov 1, 2014
  7. Mr LRDJ
    Mr LRDJ Guest
    Re-update:

It seems to me that the Xbox only crashes when a certain game (MW3) is being played, as I have played numerous other games without it crashing. However, when I began to play MW3 it crashed after 10 minutes. The files re-corrupted also, and like I said the
    Xbox seems to be OK on any other game. Could the disk be faulty? I'll try my theory again later to see if it is indeed MW3 or just a coincidence.

Mr LRDJ, Nov 2, 2014
  8. Mr LRDJ
    Mr LRDJ Guest

It's broken. Every time it turns on it takes 20 minutes, then BAM. Off it goes. It's definitely not the hdd as it shuts off when it's not in the console, so it is either the hardware or the battery. In my opinion, it is the battery, so should I test it on
    another console? If it's the system, is it worth getting it repaired, getting a new console or just leaving it as I have an Xbox One?

Mr LRDJ, Nov 20, 2014
  9. onyxishere
    onyxishere Guest
    If the console is crashing without the drive then it could be a hardware issue which would need to be repaired/replaced.

If you want to have another 360 to use then you can do either of those things. If it's no big deal to you and you just want to play on the One then there's that option as well.

onyxishere, Nov 20, 2014
  10. Mr LRDJ
    Mr LRDJ Guest
    Thanks for that, I have a friend testing the battery right now. If it is the hardware then I'll probably try and get it repaired seeing as the 360 was my favourite console for multiplayer and I would still play it. Do you have any idea why it would've become
    faulty? I've never tampered with it and have only used it for its sole purpose - to play on it. Has it just reached the end?

Mr LRDJ, Oct 31, 2018
  11. onyxishere Win User

If the console is crashing without the drive then it could be a hardware issue which would need to be repaired/replaced.

If you want to have another 360 to use then you can do either of those things. If it's no big deal to you and you just want to play on the One then there's that option as well.
  12. Mr LRDJ Win User

It's broken. Every time it turns on it takes 20 minutes, then BAM. Off it goes. It's definitely not the hdd as it shuts off when it's not in the console, so it is either the hardware or the battery. In my opinion, it is the battery, so should I test it on
    another console? If it's the system, is it worth getting it repaired, getting a new console or just leaving it as I have an Xbox One?
  13. Mr LRDJ Win User

Update:

I have left the console overnight and it seems to be working perfectly fine. It has not shut off once in over and hour, so all things look good.
  14. Mr LRDJ Win User

Re-update:

It seems to me that the Xbox only crashes when a certain game (MW3) is being played, as I have played numerous other games without it crashing. However, when I began to play MW3 it crashed after 10 minutes. The files re-corrupted also, and like I said the
    Xbox seems to be OK on any other game. Could the disk be faulty? I'll try my theory again later to see if it is indeed MW3 or just a coincidence.
  15. onyxishere Win User

Unfortunately it looks as though there may be an issue with the hard drive. However, another option to try is to see if the console works with a different hard drive as well. If you have any friends who can bring theirs over that would be a good test too.

If the console does the same thing with someone else's drive then the console should be repaired.
Thema:

1. Xbox cuts off and dies after 10-20 mins - apparent hdd failure. Help? - Similar Threads - cuts off dies

2. wireless headset constantly cuts off from xbox

in XBoX on Consoles
    wireless headset constantly cuts off from xbox: I am running both gen 1 and gen 2 turtle beach wireless headsets. They consistently disconnect from the Xbox. However they will stay connected to my phone. I have done both a soft reset of the...
  3. Xbox series X cut off and want cut back on.

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox series X cut off and want cut back on.: I hardly ever play my xbox series X since I am in the Army and hardly have the time to play it. I went to turn it on today and it would not turn on. There is no physical damage to the unit. It has...
  4. Power cut off during a download PC, File disappeared but still taking up the space

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Power cut off during a download PC, File disappeared but still taking up the space: I started downloading the game ARK: Survival Evolved and the power cut out. Before the download I had about 300gb of space free. After starting the download, I had 74gb free. When I turned my PC...
  5. Minecraft: W10 Edition sound effects cutting off

in XBoX on Windows
    Minecraft: W10 Edition sound effects cutting off: I play Minecraft Windows 10 Edition on an HP Laptop 15s that is running on Windows 11 Insider Preview I noticed that the sound effects cut off when I'm swimming in water, etc When I look up...
  6. Sounds keep cutting off

in XBoX on Consoles
    Sounds keep cutting off: Whenever I play any game on my xbox, my TV sound output keeps cutting off for every 2 seconds after like 15 seconds but when I'm watching a movie or anything else the sounds doesn't cut off. I'm...
  7. I need help to solve a Flight Simulator problem. Right before take off I get engine cut off...

in XBoX Games and Apps
    I need help to solve a Flight Simulator problem. Right before take off I get engine cut off...: Please help me with a Flight Simulator problem. Just before take off the engine stops due to low oil pressure. What is the problem?? Knut b9af0475-b51f-46f9-a55b-1fd66d32acff
  8. Engine cut off Flight Simulator

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Engine cut off Flight Simulator: I've a problem with my flight simulator. Engine cut off before take off. Error message: "caution" "oil pressure" Can anyone help me solving this problem? Knut 5def768f-ec8b-478b-85a9-cc6fdd7da650
  9. My Headset and Controller constantly cut out and turn off while playing

in XBoX on Consoles
    My Headset and Controller constantly cut out and turn off while playing: Hello, I have a Xbox One S that is about 2-3 years old. When I play video games with my headset, the party chat is often very staticy on my end and people that I play with often say they cant...
  10. Xbox iPhone app cuts off the beginning of what people say in party’s. Please Help?

in XBoX on Mobile
    Xbox iPhone app cuts off the beginning of what people say in party’s. Please Help?: When in a party on the Xbox iphone (ios) app the beginning of peoples sentances are cut off. This makes it really difacult to understand what people are saying. When using the PC app everything...