Xbox Elite Series 2 Controller: Why don't the face buttons work?

Discus and support Xbox Elite Series 2 Controller: Why don't the face buttons work? in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; What's going on with the $180 $160 ELITE series 2 xbox controller? I just bought one (for use on PC) from the microsoft store. First time I used it,... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by PeterPerez, Dec 4, 2021.

1. PeterPerez
    PeterPerez Guest

What's going on with the $180 $160 ELITE series 2 xbox controller? I just bought one (for use on PC) from the microsoft store. First time I used it, the A button was only intermittently responsive. After poking at it a bit more, I also found the Y button was similarly unreliable. I googled around (and to be fair to our hosts, here's bing results, too) and found that this is a common problem that has been reported and widely documented for the past 2 years (e.g. here*, here, here, here, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1fad4XmDGqI.)

I contacted MS/Xbox tech support and sales, and neither admitted to being familiar with the problem. They told me they could send a replacement, but they couldn't assure me that the replacement would work correctly. So I returned it for a refund.

Still, there are great reviews by people who have apparently not encountered this issue, so maybe it's common enough but not universal. I went to the local gamestop, the clerk denied that customers were mass returning defective controllers, so I bought one from there. Got it home and was disappointed--but not surprised--that I'd found a 2nd controller with the same unresponsive A button.

Is there any way to get an Elite Series 2 that actually works? Am I being too picky in expecting a premium, first party game controller should have inputs that work reliably? Or is having only one or two malfunctioning buttons on a brand new $160 controller considered better than average these days?

Is Microsoft making any progress finding a fix, or even just specifically recognizing this common problem? Are they able to recall and repair this particular fault on controllers that are new and still under warranty?

*1200+ users with the same question!

:)

PeterPerez, Dec 4, 2021
  2. Christopher Revoredo Win User

Hi there Peter welcome to the community forum! Christopher here, an Xbox fan just like you and has been on Xbox for years already. I would really love to make your day by helping you out. This has helped people with their controller issues! Give it a try!

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/xbox/forum/...
  3. Niko1664 Win User

Xbox elite series 2 with design flaw?

Had an Xbox Elite 1 for many years (but dead now...), don't own an Series 2 but never really see what reals benefits i have personnaly to find with the Series 2. Only things i want was "screenshot" dedicated button (on main Series X controller) or "Rapid
    Fire" button (not on Elite series)... so .
  4. The Deagnos Win User

Elite series 2 controller

My elite series 2 rb button doesnt work and i cant find a replacement button how do i fix this
    Microsoft knew the controllers were defective and still sold them as a good product. they wont do anything to fix your controller because its most like out of warranty thats why the warranty was so short. The whole elite series 2 was a scam

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/xbox/forum/all/defective-xbox-series-2-elite-controller-and-class/2b11a3b7-d094-4073-97b7-da1dafba71ce
  5. SatanicoDrCadillac Win User

Elite controller

Hi!

I don't think the elite control accessories are compatible with those in the series 2
  6. Kathy A. Win User

Xbox Elite Controller Series 2 - A button opens Xbox Game Bar

Hi all,

One of our Support team, mentioned a solution that is easy and fast to do. May we know if anyone from here have tried to do remapping their Controller's button? If this is the first time you have heard about this. Kindly check this quick video of how Xbox Elite Wireless Controller Series 2 works - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qflhejZNTGA

Now, this advance Controller offers exclusive option to create profile to customize button mapping that you can do using Xbox Accessories app. Here are steps on how to create a controller profile:

1. Using your Xbox Elite Wireless Controller Series 2, open the Xbox Accessories app.
    2. Scroll to the Xbox Elite Wireless Controller Series 2, then select Configure.
    3. Select New profile, give your profile a name, then configure your changes. For example, if you reassign D-pad down  on the face of the controller to the Y button , then the D-pad down  will act as the Y button  going forward.
    4. When you’re done, press the B button  for the changes to take effect.
    Create multiple profiles in the app and switch between them using the built-in Profile button.

1. Open the Xbox Accessories app, scroll to the Xbox Elite Wireless Controller Series 2, then select Configure.
    2. In Profiles, select a controller profile you’ve created or create a new one.
    3. Choose a slot.
    You can assign a slot for up to three profiles. Press the Profile button on the Xbox Elite Wireless Controller 2 to switch between them. When no bars appear lit below the Profile button, the controller is using the default button mapping.

Assign Shift key button:

Assign buttons to act as shortcuts for system actions like “Record that” and “Take screenshot.” When you select a button to remap, choose Primary or Shift, go to the Action tab, then choose an action from the list. When you’re done, press the B button  for the changes to take effect.

Note System actions are currently not available on Windows 10.

Resources:

Customize an Xbox Wireless Controller | Xbox Support

Get to know your Xbox Elite Wireless Controller Series 2 | Xbox Support

Customize your Xbox Elite Wireless Controller Series 2 | Xbox Support

Use Shift with your Xbox Elite Wireless Controller Series 2 | Xbox Support

Hope that helps! We look forward to your response. If you have other clarifications about this matter, you can get back to us by replying to this post.

Kind regards,

Thema:

1. Xbox Elite Series 2 Controller: Why don't the face buttons work? - Similar Threads - Elite Series Controller

2. Xbox Elite Series 2 controller connects to Samsung frame TV, but does not work to control...

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox Elite Series 2 controller connects to Samsung frame TV, but does not work to control...: I am trying to leverage the Samsung games hub and the Xbox app within here and am unable to use a Bluetooth controller. I can go into the pairing options and get the controller connected, but once...
  3. Xbox elite series 2 controller keeps disconnecting.

in XboX Insiders
    Xbox elite series 2 controller keeps disconnecting.: Noticed in the last 2 weeks or so my elite controller will randomly disconnect for about 5-10 seconds and then reconnect. Anyone know how to solve this issue? I believe there was an update that...
  4. Xbox Elite Controller Series 2 "Bricks"

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox Elite Controller Series 2 "Bricks": So my controller (Elite series 2) randomly bricks. Not being useable. It can't be turned off and unplugging it or plugging it back in won't help it. However once I unplug my headset it becomes...
  5. Elite Series 2 Controller shows as "Paired" with PC, but wont stay connected

in XBoX on Consoles
    Elite Series 2 Controller shows as "Paired" with PC, but wont stay connected: I just recently got an Elite series 2 controller to game with on my PC and the setup seemed easy enough. Make sure PC bluetooth is on, hold pair button and let them pair, PLAY! It didnt work out...
  6. Xbox Elite Series 2 Controller Paddles not Registering in the Default Profile

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox Elite Series 2 Controller Paddles not Registering in the Default Profile: My Windows 10 system will not register any input when I use the paddles. The controller is on the default profile (no lights on the bottom). It use to be able to be seen as a separate button and...
  7. Xbox Elite series 2 controller out of warranty

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox Elite series 2 controller out of warranty: My controller has been experiencing issues with the bumpers as it won't recognise the inputs and the same with one of the rear buttons on the additional buttons you can add on . As the controller...
  8. elite series 2 controller

in XBoX on Consoles
    elite series 2 controller: Why is it that i have seen multiple people complaining about the bumpers stopped working only a month after the warranty expired. mine did the same thing, but to send it for repairs its going to...
  9. Repair for my elite controller series 2 not needing to be returned.

in XBoX on Consoles
    Repair for my elite controller series 2 not needing to be returned.: I have put if for a repair for my elite controller series 2 as its suffering from extreme stick drift, but upon requesting a repair it now says I don't need to send the controller back and one is...
  10. Xbox Elite Series 2 Controller

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox Elite Series 2 Controller: I am on my 4th elite controller and I am having the same issue over and over again with the right bumper. It keeps going out and no matter what I do I can’t fix it, are there any suggestions on...