Xbox gamertag linked to someone else's Microsoft account.

Discus and support Xbox gamertag linked to someone else's Microsoft account. in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; Here's the backstory to my problem. I created my Xbox account 10+ years ago on the Xbox 360 until the next gen consoles were released. When the Xbox... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by DWreck1995, Sep 21, 2019.

1. DWreck1995
    DWreck1995 Guest

Here's the backstory to my problem. I created my Xbox account 10+ years ago on the Xbox 360 until the next gen consoles were released. When the Xbox One was first announced I thought it was terrible console and opted for the PlayStation 4. So I've been using
    the PlayStation 4 since release up until now. I just bought an Xbox One X and upon trying to sign back into my Xbox Live account I discovered that my gamertag was linked to a Microsoft account I don't own.

Now after some internet searching I found that there apparently used to be a way to transfer a gamertag between Microsoft accounts. But, there isn't anymore as far as I know. The problem is I have a lot of purchased content on that gamertag that I'd be losing,
    on top of game progress, if I just use another gamertag.

I contacted Microsoft and Xbox support but they say there is nothing I can do. Even though my digital property was essentially handed over to someone else by Microsoft, whenever this automatic merger happened, they say that "certain steps" have to take place
    before you can file a fraud case and that those "steps" haven't been taken so they can't do that. They won't tell me what the steps are either.

It's worth noting that I happen to have access to the Microsoft account that my gamertag was linked to. Since I know the owner of the Microsoft account and reached out to them. They temporarily gave me access to verify and remedy the situation. But I won't
    be able to simply take over their Microsoft account and change it all to my information. That's their property and they have their own content that they need from it. On top of that, the Microsoft account is a hotmail email anyway, so it can't be removed without
    completely deleting the email address which means they'd lose access their email. But the Xbox account is mine and my property. Or was, I guess should say...

I cannot believe Microsoft doesn't have a solution to this problem anymore? How can Xbox accounts just be commandeered by someone else though an automated linking process and then not have a way to fix it?

If anyone else has any insight to help assist in this problem other than game sharing or deleting their email and me taking it over, I'd love the input.

Thanks,

Derek R.

:)

DWreck1995, Sep 21, 2019
Thema:

1. Xbox gamertag linked to someone else's Microsoft account. - Similar Threads - gamertag linked someone

2. Old gamertag not linked to a Microsoft account

in XBoX on Windows
    Old gamertag not linked to a Microsoft account: I have a gamertag, , that I registered many years ago. I wasn't using it for a while and never linked it to a Microsoft account. I chatted with Microsoft support and they told me that there is no...
  3. Link existing Gamertag to my account.

in XBoX on Consoles
    Link existing Gamertag to my account.: I reset my console and lost my gamertag link. The gamertag still exists. My account is now linked with a autogenerated gamertag. How do I reconnect my original gamertag with my account?...
  4. Two gamertags linked to one microsoft account

in XBoX on Consoles
    Two gamertags linked to one microsoft account: Recently, I downloaded a companion app for destiny 2 on my phone only to discover that my account that I have been playing on for close to 8 years has not been activated. I logged in onto my...
  5. GamerTag linked to another person EA Account

in XBoX Accessibility
    GamerTag linked to another person EA Account: I never had my EA account linked to my Xbox gamertag. I never played games that required that, so at some point 5 or 6 years ago my xbox account was compromised. At that time the person linked my...
  6. Microsoft Account and linked gamertag nightmares

in XBoX on Consoles
    Microsoft Account and linked gamertag nightmares: Hello, This is my first time posting and I come here in hopes that someone with a bit of know how can help with a long running issue I have been having. The issue is related to my gamertag which...
  7. XBOX Live - email linked to a GamerTag deleted

in XBoX Accessibility
    XBOX Live - email linked to a GamerTag deleted: Hi, I've deleted my email (no longer used) but I've forgottent that it was used by my XBOXLIVE account... now I cannot login on may XBOXOne. Any solution to modify my email & keep my gamertag ?...
  8. changing email linked to Xbox Gamertag

in XBoX on Consoles
    changing email linked to Xbox Gamertag: Hello, I have read through the posted walkthrough for this process but thought I would double check before I do something that cannot be undone. I tried to change a few years ago but was...
  9. Linking Epic and and family gamertags.

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Linking Epic and and family gamertags.: don't even really know how to ask this question. But here goes. I am the primary account on the xbox one. I have 3 other kid accounts under xbox family. My son plays under his own gamertag on the...
  10. changing email linked to Xbox Gamertag

in XBoX on Consoles
    changing email linked to Xbox Gamertag: Hello, I have read through the posted walkthrough for this process but thought I would double check before I do something that cannot be undone. I tried to change a few years ago but was...