Xbox one can read pictures from external HD but not movies or music?

Discus and support Xbox one can read pictures from external HD but not movies or music? in XBoX Games and Apps to solve the problem; I just got an XBox one, the version that only reads digital games (no disc reader) I plugged in my external hard drive (NFTS format) into my console... Discussion in 'XBoX Games and Apps' started by pascalywood, Aug 8, 2019.

1. pascalywood
    pascalywood Guest

I just got an XBox one, the version that only reads digital games (no disc reader) I plugged in my external hard drive (NFTS format) into my console and it detects the HD and its sub-folders. When I get into
    my movie or music folder, it can't find any media. It can't even detect the sub-folders However, when I look into my pictures folder, it can see the sub-folders and read them fine. My movies and music are in different file formats so it should at least detect
    a few.

I plugged my HD in a buddy's XBox and it's the same story.

Any suggestions?

:)

pascalywood, Aug 8, 2019
  2. pascalywood Win User

I tried uploading a movie on another of my hard drive that is in NFTS format and it can detect it fine so I have a hard time with the FAT32 solution here
  3. XBF Brad A Win User

Hi Pascal,

Thanks for coming to the forums with your question. To have it as a media device, where it reads music and that. You would need to format it for that which is FAT32. Unfortunately, it will then not save games. It is also not advised to split the HD or create
    dual partitions, on the same external HD. To best utilize both, you would need two external one formatted for media, the other formatted for games.

https://support.xbox.com/xbox-one/console/manage-storage#aa10f1153fc841d1bcfc21eb2497da49

Set up external storage

To use external storage with Xbox One games and apps, your hard drive must:

• Hold 128 GB or more
    • Connect via USB 3.0

When you first connect, Xbox will prompt you to format your device. You can use it for Xbox games and apps, or for personal media such as pictures, music, and video. (Xbox will treat devices that don’t meet the above requirements as
    media storage.)

If your Xbox doesn’t recognize your external drive, see Troubleshoot external storage detection on Xbox
    One

Note Xbox will recognize only two external drives at one time.

If you cancel formatting when you connect a storage device, you can set it up later:

1. Press the Xbox button
      to open the guide and select System > Settings >
      System > Storage.
    2. Select your device, and then select Format for games & apps.

Thanks,

Brad
  4. FrankTabarez Win User

How many USB ports with the XBOX 1 X read? and how big a external HD can I use for movies on the XBOX1 X?

Thanks for the reply for the usb ports. I am however still having problems with the external HDs. I have one external 8TB for games and have an external 4TB(powered) for movies that the XBOX won't read. However if I use a 2TB(non-powered) HD it reads
    it fine.???? any thoughts\suggestions would be much appreciated. thanks
  5. FrankTabarez Win User

How many USB ports with the XBOX 1 X read? and how big a external HD can I use for movies on the XBOX1 X?

Hello Frank,

Please take the time to review this article. It goes over troubleshooting steps to help the console read the external storage as well as the requirements :

Troubleshoot external storage detection on Xbox One

Hope this helps!
    Thanks for the time and response. The xbox 1 x now sees the 5TB HD, however, it does not read the information on HD(movie files-MP4\NTFS). This only happens with a HD larger than 2TB. what am I missing? Thanks for the time. Frank
  6. Obsessive Power Win User

Playing Movies

No, the 360 doesn't have a Blu-ray drive. It will play standard DVD's and upscale them to produce a better picture, but it will not play BD discs. You can download HD movie rentals from the Xbox LIVE Marketplace though.
Thema:

1. Xbox one can read pictures from external HD but not movies or music? - Similar Threads - read pictures external

2. Cant read redemption code-XBOX Live

in XBoX on Consoles
    Cant read redemption code-XBOX Live: Hi there, hoping someone can help me. My son received a voucher for xbox live but where you scratch off the code it is damaged and you cant read it. Is there a way that we can get a new code?...
  3. Disk drive having trouble reading disk.(makes jet engine sound)-Xbox One X

in XBoX on Consoles
    Disk drive having trouble reading disk.(makes jet engine sound)-Xbox One X: I had an issue with my Xbox One X not being able to read the disk. When the disk was inserted, it made a jet engine sound, and the software did not see a disk. I troubleshooted this problem by...
  4. Xbox One X wont read smaller Game Disks.

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Xbox One X wont read smaller Game Disks.: A while ago I bought Xcom 2 Brand new I installed it on my Xbox one X and it played fine for a while then stopped, I recently bought a Brand new copy of Sudden Strike 4 and it refused to even...
  5. I Want to Make New Friends on Xbox...Keep Reading

in XBoX on Consoles
    I Want to Make New Friends on Xbox...Keep Reading: Hello everyone! I just wanted to thanks everyone who helped me solve issues I experienced on both Xbox and Windows 10. I never knew I would get responses on the questions i ask. I don't usually...
  6. XBox One X don't read original Bluray

in XBoX on Consoles
    XBox One X don't read original Bluray: Hello, My XBox One X don't read original Blurays from some months ago. I had proved using other Bluray, reset my XBox One X, delete and reinstalled the Bluray Reader application and it didn't...
  7. Reading error posts

in XBoX Accessibility
    Reading error posts: make is simple we xbox gold members have agreed to no refunds or compensations for outages long phone support and online chat support So we all agreed to pay annually for this. I get that...
  8. Online game keeps crashing, saying "Can't read game content, close and restart game"

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Online game keeps crashing, saying "Can't read game content, close and restart game": Destiny 2 is constantly crashing for me, saying "Can't read game content, close and restart game". I restarted my xbox, I uninstalled and reinstalled the game, and I moved the game to my external...
  9. Xbox one not reading my 360 games

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Xbox one not reading my 360 games: I've just recently (only a few days) bought an Xbox one, refurbished by GameStop, a big chunk of the reason is that I have a ton of 360 games that backward compatible. The trouble is almost none...
  10. Xbox One suddenly not able to read original Xbox and Xbox 360 discs! Help!

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Xbox One suddenly not able to read original Xbox and Xbox 360 discs! Help!: Turned on my Xbox One today to play some original Xbox and Xbox 360 disc games and all of a sudden it's unable to read ANY of them. I have about 15 backwards compatible games I had previously...