Xbox One consoles do not properly upload game saves unless they are completely shut down

Discus and support Xbox One consoles do not properly upload game saves unless they are completely shut down in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; Just in case someone at Microsoft actually looks at these forums, because the supposed chat "support" is actively antagonistic to getting issues... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by eSonOfAnder, Aug 17, 2021.

1. eSonOfAnder
    eSonOfAnder Guest

Xbox One consoles do not properly upload game saves unless they are completely shut down

Just in case someone at Microsoft actually looks at these forums, because the supposed chat "support" is actively antagonistic to getting issues solved, I am posting this here. There is a bug in the current Xbox One system OS that causes cloud saves to not upload unless the system is completely shut down (i.e. not put into suspend/standby mode while in quick start mode).

Repro steps:

1. Set your Xbox One (any iteration, Xbox One, Xbox One S. Xbox One X) to quick start mode, if it isn't already
    2. Play any game that performs cloud save of its local save game data (I am using No Man's Sky as my example, but this will happen no matter the game)
    3. Save the game; you have options at this step - it does not matter which of the below steps you choose
      1. Go back to the Xbox home screen
      2. Go back to the Xbox home screen and force close the app
      3. Start up a different game
      4. Perform a system shut down to put it into standby mode
    4. Go to another Xbox One console, or PC if using a compatible title (No Man's Sky as my example supports PC / Xbox cross-save), and launch the title
    5. Attempt to load the save, and see that the save date is at least one iteration old, often it is significantly older than that
    The only way to currently work around this issue is after step 3 to either leave your system in energy save mode so that it performs a full shut down every time, or go into settings and manually perform a full system shutdown. During the shutdown process, it will finally actually perform the upload to the Xbox Live cloud. At this point you can go to a different console or PC and see that the save data is current.

After doing some research online, this issue has been around for a long time now (on the order of years) with zero response or effort to address it from Microsoft. Whether this is due to their support staff actively blocking the information from getting where it needs to go, or some other reason, it is laughable that such a fundamental function is still broken. I cannot tell you at what point this functionality stopped working, nor do I care. After fighting tooth and nail to finally get the share feature in the Xbox Console Companion app fixed (just prior to its retirement, of course), I don't have the patience to do this fight again. Maybe someone else can take this up and actually push on their support team to do the actual due diligence to get this problem fixed, but I already have one full time job, and I'm not being paid to act as Xbox QV.

:)

eSonOfAnder, Aug 17, 2021
  2. Christopher Revoredo Win User

Hi there welcome to the community forum! Christopher here, an Xbox fan and been on Xbox for years already. I would really love to make your day by helping you out. This is really helpful! I completely appreciate this, I've had this issue before! Can I suggest also posting this on the official Reddit page? https://www.reddit.com/r/xbox?utm_medium=androi...

This way more people will have this information and also a developer can look at it!
  3. Daft Badger Win User

How long should it take for xbox one to shut down

That's normal,it's just uploading your saves etc to the cloud before it shuts down completely.
  4. Mesecur Win User

Strange noise from Xbox One

3 small questions:

Where do you keep your console?

Is it properly ventilated?

Do you use 'power saving' (i.e. the xbox 'turns on' briefly before fully shutting down)?
  5. ArminatorX Win User

Cloud saves disappearing

Xbox 360 games run in an emulated environment, and don't have information about the "running" state of the virtual Xbox 360 console.

Unlike Xbox One games, they don't know if you switched to a different game or simply turned the console off, in either case the game "thinks" it's still running and doesn't need to save.

Xbox 360 games are only properly saved, if you actually "quit" the game after you finished playing.

So in order to make sure your Xbox 360 games are properly saved and uploaded to the cloud, make sure to end your Xbox 360 game play session by pressing the Guide button, moving to the currently running Xbox 360 game, and then pressing the Menu button (to
    the right of the Xbox button), then choose "Quit" from the Menu to shut down the virtual Xbox 360 emulator and to properly allow the Xbox One to save your progress.
  6. ArminatorX Win User

Backwards compatible cloud storage on Xbox One.

The Xbox 360 games on the Xbox One behave differently when saving a game than actual Xbox One games.

The emulated Xbox 360 games have no concept of being "in hybernation" or multitasked like Xbox One games. Therefore, if you just played a Xbox 360 game, and just switched to another game, or simply turned the console off, the console can't properly finish
    saving/syncing the game to the cloud storage.

Whenever you play a Xbox 360 game, and you finished saving and playing the game, make sure that you actually quit the emulated Xbox 360 game by going to the Home Screen of your Xbox One, press the menu button on the main game tile with the running Xbox 360
    game, and choose to Quit the game.

Then the console will properly save and sync the game. Also make sure your console has time to upload the cloud save. If your console is in "Instant On" mode, this will be done in a few minutes, if you turn the console off. If it's in "Power Saving" mode,
    the console will be completely turned off, and it might not have had time to sync the game to the cloud yet.

So give it a few minutes to let it sync, and then shut off your console.
Thema:

1. Xbox One consoles do not properly upload game saves unless they are completely shut down - Similar Threads - consoles properly upload

2. Inter-console game save data is not transferring/reading properly.

in XBoX on Consoles
    Inter-console game save data is not transferring/reading properly.: I cannot get my dying light game save data to transfer from One S, to Seagate (external hdr), and finally over to One X.... I've tried everything Google and YouTube have to offer and I'm becoming...
  3. HDR not working properly ever since the feb console update

in XboX Insiders
    HDR not working properly ever since the feb console update: The hdr on my xbox one x is not working properly when I launch the game, it's there when I startup the xbox, it's there on the dashboard, but it gets disabled when I launch a game, can anyone tell...
  4. Xbox 360 Controllers won't properly sync with console

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox 360 Controllers won't properly sync with console: So I have a xenon 360 with a few issues and the biggest one is controllers not properly syncing. I can turn on the console with any controller but thats it. If I try and sync it then it spins,...
  5. How to properly package Xbox console for return

in XBoX on Consoles
    How to properly package Xbox console for return: I requested a service order for my Xbox console last week and I got the shipping label to print in my email. The email states that I will receive another email with instructions to properly...
  6. Console stops responding Properly

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Console stops responding Properly: Games aren't responding properly. Have a game (Fables III) where I need to react to a NPC to continue, but game doesn't recognize its existance. And, due to autosave, can't go any further in the...
  7. Xbox Console Companion & Xbox App never seem to work properly.

in XBoX on Windows
    Xbox Console Companion & Xbox App never seem to work properly.: I'm on PC. Most of my friends have an Xbox One of some kind. When i want to join their party, it's mostly ok, apart from when one particular person wants me to join them, and that happens to be...
  8. xbox one console not turning on properly

in XBoX on Consoles
    xbox one console not turning on properly: I tried to turn on my xbox one s earlier and it would not power on. The light on the front of the display would turn on and have a solid color and the console was clearly attempting to boot up....
  9. Console not responding to controller properly

in XBoX on Consoles
    Console not responding to controller properly: Sunday 22nd July 18.... Hi, just updated console, now when navigating the highlighted sanctions keeps jumping multiple places instead of just one position. When selecting home to restart or...
  10. Console not starting up properly

in XBoX on Consoles
    Console not starting up properly: [img] So my console will load up and show the "Hi!" message, but the screen remains completely blank as if it is unable to actually load, when I hold down the home button the "turn of console and...