Xbox one controller failures

Discus and support Xbox one controller failures in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; I have had the Xbox one since December 2013 and to this point I have now had 5 faulty controllers at 50+ dollars a piece. I am on my 6th controller and... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by MOLTOVE, Jan 11, 2016.

1. MOLTOVE
    MOLTOVE Guest

I have had the Xbox one since December 2013 and to this point I have now had 5 faulty controllers at 50+ dollars a piece. I am on my 6th controller and it just started to randomly drift today. The potentiometer in your joy sticks are HORRIBLE, they have
    literally failed on every controller I have had and of course they conveniently were out of warranty. This is a manufacturing issue that Microsoft should recognize and replace just like the red ring of death on the Xbox 360. My ORIGINAL Xbox 360 controllers
    still work fine to this day after many hours of gameplay but my first Xbox one controller lasted 3 months before the controller drift started. Fix your product !!

:)

MOLTOVE, Jan 11, 2016
  2. Xbox One Controller Failures

I have purchased two of these controllers in the past year to plug into my pc. For starters how is this not wireless? I got over the cord issues but both controllers had different failures within 6 months of light weekend gaming. First controller was a drift
    rendering stealth in games incredibly frustrating and unplayable. Now my second controller has the left bumper stuck. I've owned 4 xbox and 4 xbox 360 controllers and they all still work (worn out rubber on the thumb sticks). I was considering the xbox elite
    controller but I would turn red if I had spent 3x on a controller to find the same built in obsolescence. This is absolutely shameful build quality. I've been considering a new console and these issues have me shopping playstation for the first time. I hope
    money saved on build quality negates the business lost.

Possible prevention:

- remove controller from the room before sneezing

- after use place controller on red velvet pillow in a low light climate controlled room maintaining a constant 20 degrees Celsius and low humidity levels

- while in use wrap hands in bubble wrap and never fully depress buttons or move thumb sticks to their outer most positions

- only allow trained professionals to operate (2 weeks in class 1 week in the field training course)

- allow controller down time by turning off game every 15 minutes for a minimum of 30 minutes (maximum 4 hours of playtime for every month no more than 1 hour a day while following strict recuperation schedule)

BlearPort9668, Jan 11, 2016
  3. My SIXTH "Elite" controller broke this evening

Hello

Did you purchace the controller from the xbox store or from a physical location and how long have you had it? It souds like your controller has suffered mechanical failure. If your controller is still under warranty then you should
    be given a new one. Unfortunately some xbox controllers are notorious for mechanical failure but as I mentioned if it's still under warranty you should have no trouble getting a new one.

Hope you manage to resolve this.

Comrade Creepz, Jan 11, 2016
  4. smileskybird
    smileskybird Guest

Microsoft spent millions of dollars on designing the Xbox 1 controller. Could be that something went wrong during the manufacturing process. It's best to only get Xbox hardware new from authorized retailers or direct from Microsoft. I've had Xbox 1 since
    Day 1 (honest!), the Day 1 Edition console with Kinect, I went to the midnight launch, and my controller is still going fine.

I have an Xbox 360 slim console got it when I joined Xbox late 2010, and have never brought any additional controllers for it, and the left stick on the controller started to drift since late last year but it's not enough to really annoy me so far. Maybe
    the controller and hardware Microsoft assigns some manufacturer or some place like "Made in China" or something to build. Some companies make their own hardware. Others they get another company to make it for them. Some retailers offer extended warranty choices.
    If you get another controller, I hope it doesn't conk out as quickly. Controllers should last at least 1 or 2 years or more, before they start to conk out. Avoid being overly aggressive with the controller too like yanking and gittering the toggle sticks too
    hard heaps of times, during like intensive games, and avoid eating and gaming at the same time as that can make your controller ik-ee if you have greasy hands. Otherwise it could be a manufacturing fault. I know under Australian and New Zealand consumer laws,
    products must be durable and reasonable. Otherwise you could take it back for exchange or something, even if Microsoft states it only has a 90 day warranty or something.

smileskybird, Jan 11, 2016
  5. Goatsnatcher
    Goatsnatcher Guest
    We have 3 X1 controllers drift forward between me and my son, all left stick drift forward. Pretty sure it's from playing games where sprint is assigned to the left stick. The army camo controller only lasted about a month. Strange thing is, my day one 2013
    controller is still fine.

Anyway, I use to get through 360 controllers at a similar rate, only difference was the left sticks drifted left on those.

Goatsnatcher, Jan 11, 2016
  6. John Dowding
    John Dowding Guest
    Yea people don't realise that you only need to click and release the left stick not jam it forward hard to sprint, add the heat of MP COD frenzy and you have broken controllers.

John Dowding, Jan 11, 2016
  7. Goatsnatcher
    Goatsnatcher Guest
    Pretty much yeah, it's easy to get heavy handed in a sprinting situation. I don't play many shooters really, that sprint button is still in most games now though. My son really only plays fps's and both his analogue sticks feel so loose and worn out.

Playing Dragon Age again at the minute, the left stick is used to scan the area so I'm constantly clicking the thing.

Goatsnatcher, Jan 11, 2016
  8. Xbox one controller failures

Pot adjestments can be thrown off easily enough to cause drifts in a varity of ways.

However, clicking and holding the thumbstick has nothing to do with the pots themselves, but rather a completely different part of the thumbstick modual. Which rarely goes bad.

What causes drifts is.

1) Potentiometers, or 3d assembly build quality, or lack thereof.

2) Dirt, food, oil from your hands etc finding it's way onto the circuit boards, building up under the 3d mods just enough to cause the pot to get out of adjestment.

Pots are extra sensitive to even the slightest of tweaking and when dirt builds up around them, they can be effected enough to cause drift.

My Solution to 2): Ribbed rubber boots, simular to what you'll find on Flightsticks etc to prevent particulets from finding their way inside the controllers shell and onto the circuit boards.

However if the build quality 1) isn't there then why bother!

ElectroFlying, Jan 12, 2016
  9. Ahhh the dreaded stick drift, it was the right stick for me, it finally took my day 1 controller from me... Xbox one controller failures :(

Always disliked clicking in a stick for sprint, so one of my Elites paddles is always mapped to the left stick click.

Seriously Scott, Oct 31, 2018
  10. TransFatt Win User

Xbox One controller build quality

Here's a tutorial on Instructables on how to repair the left analogue stick failure.

www.instructables.com/.../Xbox-one-controller-Thumbstick-fix-without-replaci

Not that I think anyone should have to repair this. It's obviously a poor choice of materials that is causing the failure. Apparently the plastic piece that is failing in the XB1 controllers, was made of metal in the 360 controllers.
  11. Comrade Creepz Win User

My SIXTH "Elite" controller broke this evening

Hello

Did you purchace the controller from the xbox store or from a physical location and how long have you had it? It souds like your controller has suffered mechanical failure. If your controller is still under warranty then you should
    be given a new one. Unfortunately some xbox controllers are notorious for mechanical failure but as I mentioned if it's still under warranty you should have no trouble getting a new one.

Hope you manage to resolve this.
  12. ZatchTheTroll Win User

Xbox one x no signal help

HDMI failure is common on Xbox One X. This is probably your issue right now.

Microsoft has absolutely no quality control
  13. Goatsnatcher Win User

We have 3 X1 controllers drift forward between me and my son, all left stick drift forward. Pretty sure it's from playing games where sprint is assigned to the left stick. The army camo controller only lasted about a month. Strange thing is, my day one 2013
    controller is still fine.

Anyway, I use to get through 360 controllers at a similar rate, only difference was the left sticks drifted left on those.
  14. ElectroFlying Win User

Pot adjestments can be thrown off easily enough to cause drifts in a varity of ways.

However, clicking and holding the thumbstick has nothing to do with the pots themselves, but rather a completely different part of the thumbstick modual. Which rarely goes bad.

What causes drifts is.

1) Potentiometers, or 3d assembly build quality, or lack thereof.

2) Dirt, food, oil from your hands etc finding it's way onto the circuit boards, building up under the 3d mods just enough to cause the pot to get out of adjestment.

Pots are extra sensitive to even the slightest of tweaking and when dirt builds up around them, they can be effected enough to cause drift.

My Solution to 2): Ribbed rubber boots, simular to what you'll find on Flightsticks etc to prevent particulets from finding their way inside the controllers shell and onto the circuit boards.

However if the build quality 1) isn't there then why bother!
Thema:

1. Xbox one controller failures - Similar Threads - controller failures

2. Failure to downgrade a Series X controller upgrade

in XboX Insiders
    Failure to downgrade a Series X controller upgrade: I'm on Windows. After upgrading to the latest firmware, my controller has been losing wireless signal occasionally, and the analog stick's responsiveness became a little wonky When I run the...
  3. Series X Keeps Glitching And split second freezes + Remote Control Failure

in XBoX on Consoles
    Series X Keeps Glitching And split second freezes + Remote Control Failure: Hi, my series x has recently been messing up with things like in game freezes (split second long) with glitches and lag, it also randomly kicks me out of my account and games and finally my...
  4. XBOX Elite 2 controller failures. What is going on!

in XBoX on Consoles
    XBOX Elite 2 controller failures. What is going on!: Bought a three controllers; one of them being an XBOX Elite 2, off AMAZON store (Microsoft) in December as Xmas gift for my son. Right bumper button has failed after 4 months. At first thought it...
  5. Fort nite last update my control failure

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Fort nite last update my control failure: since fortnite update this week my control do not work properly 752712f4-33fa-4091-a11d-e933ae8c86ac
  6. Xbox One S Controller Arızası -[Translation - Xbox One S Controller Failure]

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox One S Controller Arızası -[Translation - Xbox One S Controller Failure]: Xbox One S Kolumun RB Butonu Bozuldu Servis Kaydı Oluşturdum UPS İle Kargoya Verecektim Adam Adres İstedi Benim Bu Kolu Hangi Adrese Göndermem Gerek Şimdiden Teşekkürler -[Translation - Xbox One...
  7. Control file IO failure

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Control file IO failure: When i try to start a new game or continue from where i left off i keep getting file IO failure for my physical copy of the game control 8a025cbc-7ec3-4a9d-a221-b08bddca4c5e
  8. Controller joystick and button failure

in XBoX Accessibility
    Controller joystick and button failure: I have two xbox controllers and i have queries with both. One has a joystick that always makes the cursor constantly go either up or down, but with the second one the RB button doesn’t work you...
  9. Xbox Controller Recognition Failure

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox Controller Recognition Failure: When I try to plug my Xbox Controller into my PC via USB cable, it does not connect, and the computer displays an error message in the settings, " Unknown USB Device (Device Descriptor Request...
  10. Microsoft Elite Controller - Stick failure

in XBoX on Consoles
    Microsoft Elite Controller - Stick failure: After much consideration I decided to acquire a Microsoft Elite Controller for my XBOXONE. No small thing, these items are over £130, but once it arrived I thought, yes, this is the controller to...