XBox One Controller randomly stops working since update on 4/17

Discus and support XBox One Controller randomly stops working since update on 4/17 in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; Hi. I have seen a lot of posts online about controllers not working, but none that seem specific to the behavior I am experiencing, which seemed to... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by DanielRobbins3, May 11, 2019.

1. XBox One Controller randomly stops working since update on 4/17

Hi. I have seen a lot of posts online about controllers not working, but none that seem specific to the behavior I am experiencing, which seemed to begin after an update on 4/17.

About once a day, after the controller has gone to standby (so it was working fine, then the light went off as expected after not being used for a time), when I pick it back up to continue using it, it will not work. Just to clarify, it does not lose sync
    - the light comes on and stays lit - but none of the buttons have any effect. So, for instance, if I was using it while watching a movie on Netflix, then the controller shuts off after x minutes as expected, once the movie is over and I try to continue using
    the controller, it won't respond (I actually think it is more that the console isn't responding than the controller).

I have to disconnect the power to the console then reboot it in order to get controllers to work again. Even if I try to connect a controller via USB, it will not respond. This happens on multiple controllers, not just one. Given those two things, plus having
    worked tech support for many years, I'm convinced this is actually an Xbox One software issue, not a controller issue.

It never seems to happen mid-anything, only when the controller has "slept" off ... it also does not seem unique to a specific app, this happens with Netflix, HBO, Hulu, etc ...

Please tell me I'm not the only one experiencing this ... and even better, someone tell me how to fix this!

:)

DanielRobbins3, May 11, 2019
  2. Pr0ff3s0rM1tt3n Win User

Found a similar case and the fix they found that worked was "Nothing worked but the FOLLOWING: I removed my Xbox from the power supply (completely for like 20 secs) - afterwards my controller worked again!"

Hope this helps!
  3. DanielRobbins3 Win User

Thanks, yes so far that's the only thing that works. I'm just hoping to find a way to avoid that. I can't be the only person experiencing this ...
  4. DanielRobbins3 Win User

I have a theory it may somehow have to do with Xbox accounts being linked to controllers, I'm going to test that and try it again later. Ill update if it is fruitful.
  5. Pr0ff3s0rM1tt3n Win User

Have you checked if your controller is up to date? That is the only additional thing I can think of. Looking through xbox support I can't find much matching your description. I had a similar issue with connecting to my laptop via bluetooth but I can't imagine
    that would help in this case.

Here is a relevant link.

https://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-one/controllers/wireless-controller-solution

Sorry I can't be of more help at the moment. I will keep looking and let you know if I find anything.
  6. DanielRobbins3 Win User

Just to clarify, yes, the battery life is fine.
Thema:

1. XBox One Controller randomly stops working since update on 4/17 - Similar Threads - Controller randomly stops

2. Xbox one controller randomly disconnects, stops headset from working

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox one controller randomly disconnects, stops headset from working: I would be on the xbox and chatting with friends and my controller will disconnect and immediately reconnect at random points. This causes my headset that's plugged in to stop working. It takes me...
  3. Random A clicking that doesn't stop $nothing to do with controller$

in XBoX on Consoles
    Random A clicking that doesn't stop $nothing to do with controller$: My xbox is automatically pressing A button repeatedly with out me touching it (nothing to do with controllers problem still occurs with no batteries) this is preventing me from signing in because...
  4. Controller input randomly stops working

in XBoX on Consoles
    Controller input randomly stops working: I just bought my new Xbox One and I've been installing Borderlands & Halo MCC. Randomly when I'm playing a game while other games are installing, my Xbox one stops receiving input from the...
  5. headset randomly stopped working after changing batteries in controller

in XBoX on Consoles
    headset randomly stopped working after changing batteries in controller: the chat headset that came with my xbox one just randomly stopped working today when i changed the batteries in my controller. they don't even register as being plugged in and i'm hearing party...
  6. Xbox One controller randomly stops working mid-game

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox One controller randomly stops working mid-game: For the past 2 days my buddy and I will be in a party playing AW together and then mid match my controller stops responding. None of the buttons work, not even the home button. I tried taking the...
  7. Controller randomly stopped working PLEASE HELP ME

in XBoX on Consoles
    Controller randomly stopped working PLEASE HELP ME: I just received the advanced warfare xbox one on Christmas and my controller has worked perfectly fine all the way up to yesterday night when i was playing my controller was running out of...
  8. Console randomly stops detecting wifi and all controllers.

in XBoX on Consoles
    Console randomly stops detecting wifi and all controllers.: I've talked to support 3 times and have ran all trouble shooting that I was told to do, even factory reset and still having this issie. It started happening the 14th when Evil Within was released...
  9. Xbox 1 controller randomly stops working.

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox 1 controller randomly stops working.: Not to long ago I had to hard reset my Xbox 1. I played a few times since then but today it seems like my Xbox 1 controller will randomly stop working. Then i have too disconnect the wired...
  10. Controller & Kinect randomly stop working.

in XBoX on Consoles
    Controller & Kinect randomly stop working.: I've had times where my Xbox One controller randomly stops working. It continues to be on but the home button doesn't work, whenever you press it nothing happens and the only way to navigate...