Xbox One controllers and the "A" button

Discus and support Xbox One controllers and the "A" button in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; I have a question regarding the Xbox One controllers. We own one Xbox One S that came with two controllers and one Xbox One X that came with one... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by EricJ235, Feb 13, 2020.

1. EricJ235
    EricJ235 Guest

I have a question regarding the Xbox One controllers. We own one Xbox One S that came with two controllers and one Xbox One X that came with one controller. Both consoles are new.

I noticed that all three controllers have sort of a problem that when pressing the "A" button in certain angles it doesn't register that it's pressed. This only seems to happen with the "A" button and the strange thing is all of the controllers have this
    problem. And they didn't even came with the same console. I updated the firmware on the controllers or checked how they functioned on a PC but that didn't change anything.

I can also find quite a lot of posts about this on Reddit and a few on other sites so I'm certainly not the only one having this problem. I also see posts about people returning their controllers for a replacement but getting one with the same problem in
    return.

My question is, is this normal behaviour for these controllers ? If it's not I find it quite odd that all our controllers that came with new consoles are deffective.

:)

EricJ235, Feb 13, 2020
  2. XBF Chris J Win User

Where is start button on Xbox one controller?

Hello Errant,

Thank you for posting here on the Xbox forums. Usually, you are able to press any button on those screens to continue to the game. The start button is called the "menu" button on our Xbox controllers. You can find a diagram of the controller here :

Get to know your Xbox One Wireless Controller

The start (menu) button is in the middle of your controller. It is a small button with 3 horizontal lines.

Hope this helps!
  3. alexburns Win User

Controller issues

Hi Tony, with your second controller try and manually sync it to your Xbox one, see if it works for you, doing this fixed this issue for me.

support.xbox.com/.../connect-a-wireless-controller

1. Turn on your Xbox One console.

2. Insert AA batteries (or rechargeable batteries from the Xbox One Play & Charge Kit) into the controller. See Using AA batteries in your Xbox One Wireless Controller.

3. Turn on your controller by pressing and holding the Xbox button until the controller turns on. (The Xbox button is the larger circular button located in the middle of the controller near the top.) The Xbox button will flash, indicating it's not yet connected
    to a console. If the Xbox button is lit solid, the controller is already connected.

(Note If the controller doesn't turn on, check the batteries. If you're using rechargeable batteries, make sure that they're charged.)

4. Press and release the connect button on the console. (The connect button is a small circular button located around the corner from the disc tray.)

5. Within 20 seconds, press and hold the black connect button on the back of the controller until the controller's Xbox button quickly flashes a few times, indicating that it's searching for the console. It switches to a solid light when it's connected.
    (The connect button is a small circular button located on the top of the controller as you hold it in your hands.)

Your controller is now connected to your console. Repeat this procedure for every extra controller that you want to add.
  4. XBF Ezra G Win User

Sooo loging into my XB1s and entering password ,.....

Hi Vic,

Thanks for your post. I understand you are looking to press enter using your Xbox One controller to enter your password. To do so, press the Menu Button on your controller, this button is located near the center of your Xbox One controller and is symbolized
    by three horizontal lines.

For a button map of your controller, check out:
    Xbox One Controller - Layout

I hope this helps.
  5. stevenicks Win User

Day 1 - get image on TV, but operating system does not finish loading?

Try connecting the controller to the xbox one via a usb cable see if that helps ?

also dont you have to pair the controller with the console (little black button on controller and button on the side of the xbox one)
  6. ItsJackTime Win User

XBox One Controller Hands-On Review!

Great question!

The original Xbox controller featured analog buttons. The XBox 360 controller switched to digital buttons. I haven't seen the specs for the new XBox One controller, but it's probably safe to assume that the buttons will also be digital.
Thema:

1. Xbox One controllers and the "A" button - Similar Threads - controllers button

2. Dark screen keeps popping up when I press the X button on my controller!!!!

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Dark screen keeps popping up when I press the X button on my controller!!!!: Forcing me to press and hold it!!and then wait a few more seconds!! ee097e43-0e4b-4746-b370-f263ce57e5c7
  3. Xbox Game Bar not Opening when Pushing the XBOX button on Controller

in XBoX on Windows
    Xbox Game Bar not Opening when Pushing the XBOX button on Controller: Hello, I have been recently having an issue accessing the Xbox Game Bar when using a Xbox One Controller. In the past I have been able to push the XBOX button and the game bar came up. Now the...
  4. Why has ms never made a controller that either doesn’t have a guide button. Or the ability...

in XBoX Accessibility
    Why has ms never made a controller that either doesn’t have a guide button. Or the ability...: I have a small 2 year old who is obsessed with the xbox at the moment. He loves super luckys tale...( actually enjoying it myself) however he get annoyed when he presses the guide button and cant...
  5. View button on xbox one controller not working!

in XBoX on Windows
    View button on xbox one controller not working!: hi, i bought a xbox one controller and the view button is not working at all! im on pc and i really need help 90f75d30-7635-472f-9716-30115a9dc8d4
  6. Xbox One controller Home button being finicky all of a sudden, wondering if I can turn it...

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox One controller Home button being finicky all of a sudden, wondering if I can turn it...: So had my Xbox One controller for a few months now. Worked pretty alright. Learned Korean backdashing in Tekken with it. Had a great time. Controller worked perfectly when I bought it. But lately...
  7. Xbox One Controller buttons not working intermittently

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox One Controller buttons not working intermittently: All the buttons work when first use it, and then all of the buttons do not work, not even the Xbox button on the controller. The controller freezes. To get it working again, I remove the batteries...
  8. Bouton connections manettes [Button connections controllers]

in XBoX on Consoles
    Bouton connections manettes [Button connections controllers]: Ma one ne lache plus la détection des manettes ??? Quelqu'un a une solution ? [Translation-My one no longer lets the controllers detect ??? Does anyone have a solution?]...
  9. Option to map multiple buttons to paddles on Elite Controller 2

in XboX Insiders
    Option to map multiple buttons to paddles on Elite Controller 2: Not sure if it ever has been asked but here I go. I bought an Elite Controller 2 a while ago and it's an excellent controller. However there is one feature lacking. The option to assign a...
  10. Elite series 2 controller button unresponsive

in XBoX on Consoles
    Elite series 2 controller button unresponsive: I have had the new series 2 controller for 8 Weeks now and have been pleased with it, however the right button has become unresponsive, sometimes working and sometimes needing to really press down...