XBOX One external hard drive keeps spinning up and down every minute

Discus and support XBOX One external hard drive keeps spinning up and down every minute in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; The external HDD (Seagate STDT3000300 BACKUP PLUS Desktop 3TB, USB3.0, 3.5 inch external drive, powered by external power) of my Xbox One keeps... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by Andy5416, Apr 4, 2019.

1. Andy5416
    Andy5416 Guest

The external HDD (Seagate STDT3000300 BACKUP PLUS Desktop 3TB, USB3.0, 3.5 inch external drive, powered by external power) of my Xbox One keeps spinning up for a few seconds then spinning down again a few seconds later and this cycle repeats every 60 seconds
    exactly. So every minute the HDD has to spin up and then back down again.

My settings are that the XBOX is in instant on mode, with auto update of the console as well as games and apps enabled.

It has been suggested in other threads that this behaviour is a result of auto updating of apps and games, but even when all auto-updates are turned off this behaviour continues, so changing this setting makes no difference.

The Xbox shouldn't need to keep spinning up an external HDD every minute. It should be able to know what version of what updates are installed for each game on each HDD without having to interrogate the HDD every 60 seconds. It can cache it surely?
    Constantly spinning up and down HDD's is terrible for the lifespan of the HDD, and is annoying if the HDD is a little noisy, is unnecessary. Please implement a mechanism that doesn't require cycling the HDD power every 60 seconds.

:)

Andy5416, Apr 4, 2019
  2. zzIRISMAXIMUSzz Win User

It might be worth looking into a USB port splitter. I use Sabrent 4-Port USB 3.0 Hub with Individual Power Switches. It allows you to shut off and turn on whatever you have plugged in. I use two external
    hard drives with this.
  3. RAXXIC Win User

Hi Andy5416,

It seems like you have a strange one there.

I have had a similar problem with my old Seagate HDD to which I had found out that it was due to a faulty USB head. I understand you have already tried another HDD but may I ask did you change the cables for testing?

Regards

Rax
  4. Andy5416 Win User

Attempted to turn off the option to power down drive so that it would be always on, but even then it spins down and up again every minute. So it seems no matter what setting it's on, it will not

1. keep drive powered on when in standby

or

2. keep drive powered off when in standby

So if it's doing a status check every 60 seconds, is it the drive that is spinning up on its own, or is it the XBOX OS that is spinning it up I wonder?

I have another drive which I have plugged in and tried this on, it is a Hitachi Touro 1tb (usb powered hdd) and it also spins up every 60 seconds. I plugged the hitachi into another XBOX one S and noticed it exhibited the identical behaviour... Spinning
    up and down every 60 seconds.

So that's two drives on two Xbox One's. I'm very puzzled. Thoughts?
  5. Alucario Ultra Win User

Try to hard reset the console, one never knows.
  6. EXES5 Win User

Its just keepin it alive and not alowing it to sleep.if it goes to sleep whatever needs access to your external just stutters til the hard is back on or even freezes.
Thema:

1. XBOX One external hard drive keeps spinning up and down every minute - Similar Threads - external hard drive

2. External hard drives

in XBoX Accessibility
    External hard drives: I have an extra hard drive that went plugged in. It says. 2 week to connect. Does anybody know how to fix this? dbbec804-7d79-48ce-ac49-e268a9cea063
  3. Updating Installed Games on an External Hard Drive for Xbox One

in XBoX on Windows
    Updating Installed Games on an External Hard Drive for Xbox One: Kind of an unusual situation, but I live rural and so my data per month is somewhat limited. A large game update can take up a huge chunk of my available bandwidth for a given month, nevermind a...
  4. External Hard Drive

in XBoX on Consoles
    External Hard Drive: Hello All, I recently bought a second xbox one so that me and someone else can play online games together. I attached my external hard drive to my previous xbox and copied a game onto that...
  5. Need help with external hard drive.

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Need help with external hard drive.: Bought a Seagate 2tb hard drive. I've formatted and currently using it on my xbox one to play games. For some apparent reason it isnt letting me download games it says to download on to xbox. I...
  6. The latest update might have bricked my external hard drive

in XboX Insiders
    The latest update might have bricked my external hard drive: On Friday when I was gaming, I was prompt to do the update so I did and just went to bed since it was really late. Come the next day, my hard drive wasn’t being picked up by the Xbox so I thought...
  7. So is there any official word on the issue with the external hard drive not working with...

in XboX Insiders
    So is there any official word on the issue with the external hard drive not working with...: The Xbox doesn’t even recognize that it’s connected anymore. I have no idea on how to fix this submitted by /u/catsnbikess [link] [comments]
  8. New external HHD will not work saying it needs USB 3.0 when it is.

in XBoX on Consoles
    New external HHD will not work saying it needs USB 3.0 when it is.: I have now purchased 2 different external HHD's for my XBOX one S, both are well over 256GB and both USB 3.0. One of the HDD was a 2TB and that told me that I needed one with 256GB storage or...
  9. Seagate 2tb external hard drive

in XBoX on Consoles
    Seagate 2tb external hard drive: Hi all, i bought a 2tb usb 3.0 external hard drive and my xbox won't detect it i've tried all the trouble shooting tips and still nothing! Anyone have any ideas tia...
  10. External hard drive issue

in XBoX on Consoles
    External hard drive issue: My external drive isn't being recognized anymore by my OG Xbox, I've already tried some things to diagnose it and my PC will read it for a minute or two. I've heard the last step is to reformat it...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. xbox one s hdd keeps spinning up turned off

2. seagate external hdd xbox one spinning up and down