XBOX One external hard drive keeps spinning up and down every minute

Discus and support XBOX One external hard drive keeps spinning up and down every minute in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; I'm having the same exact issue that this person posted in this thread that was started a month ago that was for some reason considered "old" and then... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by DavidIQ, May 13, 2019 at 7:53 AM.

1. DavidIQ
    DavidIQ Guest

I'm having the same exact issue that this person posted in
    this thread that was started a month ago
    that was for some reason considered "old" and then locked with no resolution:

The external HDD (Seagate STDT3000300 BACKUP PLUS Desktop 3TB, USB3.0, 3.5 inch external drive, powered by external power) of my Xbox One keeps spinning up for a few seconds then spinning down again a few seconds later and
    this cycle repeats every 60 seconds exactly. So every minute the HDD has to spin up and then back down again.

My settings are that the XBOX is in instant on mode, with auto update of the console as well as games and apps enabled.

It has been suggested in other threads that this behaviour is a result of auto updating of apps and games, but even when all auto-updates are turned off this behaviour continues, so changing this setting makes no difference.

The Xbox shouldn't need to keep spinning up an external HDD every minute. It should be able to know what version of what updates are installed for each game on each HDD without having to interrogate the HDD every 60 seconds.
    It can cache it surely? Constantly spinning up and down HDD's is terrible for the lifespan of the HDD, and is annoying if the HDD is a little noisy, is unnecessary. Please implement a mechanism that doesn't require cycling the HDD power every 60 seconds.

Aside from the external drive being a different brand (mine is a WD) this is the exact issue I'm experiencing and have also had the settings the same as them. As I had said over in that thread I've been having this issue since I've had the external drive.
    The hard drive works fine when plugged into a computer only spinning when actually accessed. This tells me that the Xbox is doing something in the drive, but what exactly if all settings are set in a way that this shouldn't happen. I think we can safely throw
    out the window any assumption that there's something wrong with anyone's external hard drive. It's also clear that resetting the console is not and should not be the solution for the many users that have been having this exact problem.

I had read elsewhere that the constant spinning was due to one of the installed games having a pending message and that once the person found which game it was they cleared the message and the constant re-spinning stopped. But finding that game in 200+ installed
    games would be next to impossible. This just needs the proper attention from Microsoft. For now I have the external hard drive plugged into the front of the console and just unplug it whenever I'm not using the console.

Since I'm posting this as a question: Is this being addressed? Having to unplug my external drive when not in use so that its lifespan is not cut short by this issue seems a little excessive and tiresome.

:)

2. Andy5416 Win User

I've already confirmed that two completely different external HDD's on two different XBOX's exhibit the identical behavior, and that toggling the setting for keeping games and apps updated makes no difference, and toggling the setting for whether to keep
    external storage powered also makes no difference either way.
  3. AngelObullets Win User

Hi there Andy5416

I know of this due to having the similar issue it making sure that the drive doesn't disconnect/fall asleep due to the console is on instant on mode it will do that repeatedly even when the console is asleep. I suggest the power saving settings to help you.
  4. Alucario Ultra Win User

Try to hard reset the console, one never knows.
  5. EXES5 Win User

Its just keepin it alive and not alowing it to sleep.if it goes to sleep whatever needs access to your external just stutters til the hard is back on or even freezes.
  6. WPAK Win User

Hi there,

if you haven't yet be sure to check if there is a firmware update the the external storage device.

As an alternate step, if you are participating in the Xbox Insiders program then you can Report this issue as Bug (I'm not sure the Report a bug option is available for Non-Insiders)

I don't have any other suggestions at this moment, hopefully other people in here will have other suggestions to try too.
Thema:

1. XBOX One external hard drive keeps spinning up and down every minute - Similar Threads - external hard drive

2. My External hard drive reboots my xbox while connected to it.

in XBoX on Consoles
    My External hard drive reboots my xbox while connected to it.: Recently after installing Fallout 4, Borderlands 2, and the pre sequel on to my external hard drive (which is a 2 TB Seagate with the Xbox logo) my xbox one runs in to an issue where while it is...
  3. External Hard Drives for the Xbox One

in XBoX on Consoles
    External Hard Drives for the Xbox One: I have a question for those who are smarter at this than I am. I have one of the original Xbox One systems. To be precise, when HALO came out, I purchased the Xbox One Master Chief Edition. I...
  4. External Hard drives

in XBoX on Consoles
    External Hard drives: Hey all just wanted to Share a little knowledge on how to speed things up beyond Fast Internet. External hard drives are the way to go I am using a 3.5 internal in a enclosure and works great for...
  5. xbox one, trasferimento su hard disk esterno[Translation-Xbox One, external hard drive...

in XBoX on Consoles
    xbox one, trasferimento su hard disk esterno[Translation-Xbox One, external hard drive...: Ciao, posseggo un Seagate drive esterno da 2 tb da poco tempo.. avevo installato un paio di giochi da pochi gb e fin lì tutto bene, in questi giorni stavo facendo il download di the witcher 3 e...
  6. External Hard Drive

in XBoX Games and Apps
    External Hard Drive: I’m attempting to install my brand new 1tb external hard drive, and my Xbox One S is having no luck detecting it. So far, I have been through all the suggestions on the help site with no luck. Any...
  7. External Hard Drive making controller react slower.

in XBoX on Consoles
    External Hard Drive making controller react slower.: Been playing on my xbox forever now and i have had the external hard drive for months and an issue like this has never happened. I got up today and turned on my xbox and my hard drive wasnt...
  8. External Hard Drive

in XBoX on Consoles
    External Hard Drive: I have a 1 TB External Hard Drive that has existing files on it. (ie pictures, documents etc.) Wanting to use it XBOX One S additional storage. I understand the console will want to Format the...
  9. my xbox recognize my external hard drive as media only

in XBoX Accessibility
    my xbox recognize my external hard drive as media only: i formatted it to NTFS i allocated it and formatted it in every way possible nothing but media i cant see the option to format it to apps/games i need any help possible...
  10. XBOX One external hard drive keeps spinning up and down every minute

in XBoX on Consoles
    XBOX One external hard drive keeps spinning up and down every minute: The external HDD (Seagate STDT3000300 BACKUP PLUS Desktop 3TB, USB3.0, 3.5 inch external drive, powered by external power) of my Xbox One keeps spinning up for a few seconds then spinning down...