XBOX One external hard drive keeps spinning up and down every minute

Discus and support XBOX One external hard drive keeps spinning up and down every minute in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; I'm having the same exact issue that this person posted in this thread that was started a month ago that was for some reason considered "old" and then... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by DavidIQ, May 13, 2019.

1. DavidIQ
    DavidIQ Guest

I'm having the same exact issue that this person posted in
    this thread that was started a month ago
    that was for some reason considered "old" and then locked with no resolution:

The external HDD (Seagate STDT3000300 BACKUP PLUS Desktop 3TB, USB3.0, 3.5 inch external drive, powered by external power) of my Xbox One keeps spinning up for a few seconds then spinning down again a few seconds later and
    this cycle repeats every 60 seconds exactly. So every minute the HDD has to spin up and then back down again.

My settings are that the XBOX is in instant on mode, with auto update of the console as well as games and apps enabled.

It has been suggested in other threads that this behaviour is a result of auto updating of apps and games, but even when all auto-updates are turned off this behaviour continues, so changing this setting makes no difference.

The Xbox shouldn't need to keep spinning up an external HDD every minute. It should be able to know what version of what updates are installed for each game on each HDD without having to interrogate the HDD every 60 seconds.
    It can cache it surely? Constantly spinning up and down HDD's is terrible for the lifespan of the HDD, and is annoying if the HDD is a little noisy, is unnecessary. Please implement a mechanism that doesn't require cycling the HDD power every 60 seconds.

Aside from the external drive being a different brand (mine is a WD) this is the exact issue I'm experiencing and have also had the settings the same as them. As I had said over in that thread I've been having this issue since I've had the external drive.
    The hard drive works fine when plugged into a computer only spinning when actually accessed. This tells me that the Xbox is doing something in the drive, but what exactly if all settings are set in a way that this shouldn't happen. I think we can safely throw
    out the window any assumption that there's something wrong with anyone's external hard drive. It's also clear that resetting the console is not and should not be the solution for the many users that have been having this exact problem.

I had read elsewhere that the constant spinning was due to one of the installed games having a pending message and that once the person found which game it was they cleared the message and the constant re-spinning stopped. But finding that game in 200+ installed
    games would be next to impossible. This just needs the proper attention from Microsoft. For now I have the external hard drive plugged into the front of the console and just unplug it whenever I'm not using the console.

Since I'm posting this as a question: Is this being addressed? Having to unplug my external drive when not in use so that its lifespan is not cut short by this issue seems a little excessive and tiresome.

:)

DavidIQ, May 13, 2019
  2. zzIRISMAXIMUSzz Win User

It might be worth looking into a USB port splitter. I use Sabrent 4-Port USB 3.0 Hub with Individual Power Switches. It allows you to shut off and turn on whatever you have plugged in. I use two external
    hard drives with this.
  3. RAXXIC Win User

Hi Andy5416,

It seems like you have a strange one there.

I have had a similar problem with my old Seagate HDD to which I had found out that it was due to a faulty USB head. I understand you have already tried another HDD but may I ask did you change the cables for testing?

Regards

Rax
  4. Andy5416 Win User

Attempted to turn off the option to power down drive so that it would be always on, but even then it spins down and up again every minute. So it seems no matter what setting it's on, it will not

1. keep drive powered on when in standby

or

2. keep drive powered off when in standby

So if it's doing a status check every 60 seconds, is it the drive that is spinning up on its own, or is it the XBOX OS that is spinning it up I wonder?

I have another drive which I have plugged in and tried this on, it is a Hitachi Touro 1tb (usb powered hdd) and it also spins up every 60 seconds. I plugged the hitachi into another XBOX one S and noticed it exhibited the identical behaviour... Spinning
    up and down every 60 seconds.

So that's two drives on two Xbox One's. I'm very puzzled. Thoughts?
  5. Alucario Ultra Win User

Try to hard reset the console, one never knows.
  6. EXES5 Win User

Its just keepin it alive and not alowing it to sleep.if it goes to sleep whatever needs access to your external just stutters til the hard is back on or even freezes.
Thema:

1. XBOX One external hard drive keeps spinning up and down every minute - Similar Threads - external hard drive

2. External hard drive not reading games

in XBoX on Consoles
    External hard drive not reading games: I've used the same 1tb external drive on my xbox for awhile now but as I was playing cod black ops it crashed and restarted. it wasn't recognizing the drive so I unplugged and plugged it back in,...
  3. External hard drive xbox one

in XBoX on Consoles
    External hard drive xbox one: I recently bought an xbox one, I already have an xbox 360, this has an externam hard drive, my question is how can I use the external hard drive of my xbox 360 in my xbox one? I tried to connect...
  4. External hard drives

in XBoX on Consoles
    External hard drives: I'm running out of space on my 2tb hard drive so I'm thinking about getting a 4tb drive. I don't have a computer that i can use to transfer my games from one drive to another so I'm wondering...
  5. How do I delete the games I have on my Seagate Game Drive for Xbox 2TB External Hard Drive...

in XBoX on Consoles
    How do I delete the games I have on my Seagate Game Drive for Xbox 2TB External Hard Drive...: I want to delete the games on my "Seagate Game Drive for Xbox 2TB External Hard Drive Portable HDD" This External Hard Drive is currently on a Original Xbox One console and I want to clear the...
  6. External hard drive is recognized but won't play games

in XBoX on Consoles
    External hard drive is recognized but won't play games: Hi so I have two external hard drives and my first one works great but my second one which is a western digital easy store 4 tb Is recognized but won't play games. It says the game needs to finish...
  7. external hard drive

in XBoX Accessibility
    external hard drive: if i buy an external hard drive, say the seagate one for xbox, will it work with project scarlett when it comes out in 2020? 4e4acd2b-6425-4ef5-8902-ae9f4ab24505
  8. external hard drive

in XBoX on Consoles
    external hard drive: My grandsons friend brought over his external hard drive to play games on xbox one and now i cant get to play games why? 610c45d7-59ca-44f6-82b6-a897abb12456
  9. External Hard Drive

in XBoX on Consoles
    External Hard Drive: External 2Tb Seagate My Xbox One required an update this morning when i turned it on and after updating my external drive turned off and wont come back on. The drive is only a month or two old...
  10. External Hard Drive lag issues

in XBoX on Consoles
    External Hard Drive lag issues: So my external hard drive has been working fine up until recently. When a game starts a cut scene, it will lag(the scene stops and starts over and over) and when the scene ends, the game play...