Xbox one latest update with external hdd problem

Discus and support Xbox one latest update with external hdd problem in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; As can see on this picture my xbox one is off and been off for over 3hours now but my external hdd is on and not flashing say it's getting used as it's... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by stevenstrange2, Oct 12, 2018.

1. Xbox one latest update with external hdd problem

As can see on this picture my xbox one is off and been off for over 3hours now but my external hdd is on and not flashing say it's getting used as it's just stayin light and the drive is spinning can hear and feel it as won't turn off since i updated it
    to the October update.

My console is using instand-on settings with the trun off storage option ticked when console goes off but my external storage doesn't go off just staying on now.

Think this is faulty hdd been stuck on or software issue since the new update as its only started be like this since that update.

Xbox one latest update with external hdd problem [​IMG]

:)

stevenstrange2, Oct 12, 2018
  2. Geth
    Geth Guest
    Xbox ruined my external hardrive

Unplug the external drive.

Reset the Xbox back to factory settings.

Run through the latest Xbox update, and then plug in the external hdd.

3. mk30001
    mk30001 Guest
    Quick Fix? - New Dashboard preview update problem

Unplug your external hard drive and do a hard reboot. Then when your Xbox is back on the home screen, plug your external hard drive back in. I had that same problem.

The latest update should have fixed that problem though. Go to Settings and System to see if there is an available update.

mk30001, Oct 12, 2018
  4. Xbox one latest update with external hdd problem

Hi, check in settings>power & startup>power mode & startup and see if the box for external HDDs is checked or not.

Njal the Blue, Oct 12, 2018
  5. XBF Nestor S
    XBF Nestor S Guest
    Hey Steven!

Thanks for taking the time to bring this issue to us! Since the Power and Start Up settings seem to be correctly set up the issue seems to be on the update itself (the Operating System). We suggest a Reset of the console to clear any issues.

Go ahead and perform a
    Soft Factory Reset
    (while keeping games and apps) IF AND ONLY IF THE FOLLOWING CRITERIA IS MET:

• There is a stable network connection.
    • The information for all profiles is known (email and passwords)

Once the setup is complete it will ask if we want to keep settings or manual setup lets do manual setup. Give it a shot and let us know of any changes!

XBF Nestor S, Oct 12, 2018
  6. Hi

Thanks for your reply will try that soft reset once get stable network here been very unstable last few hours once it's fine the network will do that and let know of any changes or still have problem.

I've also got few games on my internal storage will them games be fine when do soft reset won't get deleted.

7. XBF Nestor S
    XBF Nestor S Guest
    Thanks for the reply! So when the reset is selected it does give two options.
    IT IS VERY IMPORTANT: Select the second option, Keep Games and Apps so it doesn't affect any games or saved data. Keep us posted on how it goes!!

8. Xbox one latest update with external hdd problem

Hi

I did the soft re-set and done manual setup once done here are my settings for instant-on.

As can see it didn't help it was same my external hdd stayed on while console off did that for over hour than it started to go off and come on then off then back on the white light didn't flicker like does if it's updating or installing it just stays on
    white light then few seconds later goes off.

9. Hi there Steven,

Thanks for the reply! If you are still experiencing the same issue after going over the solution provided on the articles, it may be a possibility that some troubleshooting needs to be done on the external hard drive.

I recommend checking out the
    Seagate support page
    for more assistance with the external hard drive.

Hope this helps.

XBF Crystal P, Oct 12, 2018
  10. XBF Nestor S
    XBF Nestor S Guest
    Hey Steven thanks for keeping us in the loop! Go ahead and check out our
    HDD troubleshooter
    as well to make sure all is well on that end. Thanks for the patience and keep us posted!!

11. Riplex
    Riplex Guest
    Same probleme here since the update yesterday !

Riplex, Oct 12, 2018
  12. The Watchdog
    The Watchdog Guest
    I have the exact same problem as of yesterday! The hdd was on all night for 9 hours while I was at work. I thought it was my hdd itself. Im so glad its not.

As of now, the only solution is to constantly unplug the hdd from the xbox

The Watchdog, Oct 18, 2018
  13. SigmaTheDJ
    SigmaTheDJ Guest

I'm having similar issues.

After updating to the latest system software, I was having various issues with the dashboard not performing particularly well, so I decided to do a factory reset of the console (an Xbox One X). After doing the factory reset, my external hard drive (Seagate
    Backup Plus Hub 8TB) was no longer recognised by my Xbox. I tried different USB ports, different cables, even another factory reset, but nothing worked.

When connected to my PC, the drive showed up in Disk Management just fine, so it appeared to be physically working. As my options were exhausted, I decided to format the drive in Windows and see if the Xbox would pick it up then. That worked and as soon
    as I connected the freshly formatted drive to my Xbox, it was detected and I was able to format it for use as Xbox storage.

However, now I have 2 further problems: -

1. If I use "instant on" mode, when I turn the console off, my hard drive constantly spins up and down. I only have one game stored on it at the moment (Pinball FX3). The drive powers on, spins up, powers off, spins down, and this happens every 30 seconds
    or so and goes on indefinitely. None of the settings related to external hard drives make any difference to this behaviour. Before the latest update, my external would spin up periodically when the console checked for updates, was downloading an update, or
    I remotely queued up a game download, but at all other times it would be off.

2. If I use "energy saving" mode, when I turn the console off, the power light on the external goes off, but the drive inside continues to spin and never actually turns off. The only way I can get it to stop is to unplug the USB cable from the console. Before
    the latest update, when I turned my console off, it would also fully power off my external, which would stay off until the next time I turned the console on.

So, right now, the only way I can get the drive to actually turn off and not keep constantly power cycling or spinning is to unplug the USB cable from the console when I turn it off, then plug it back on just before I turn it back on - far from ideal.

I downloaded Seagate's SeaTools application and used it to run several tests on the drive to check for issues, but it passed them all and no issues were found. Also, it is working as it should on my Windows 10 PC, which makes me think this is an Xbox system
    software issue, especially as other people both here and on Reddit are saying that they're having similar issues after the latest update.

SigmaTheDJ, Nov 3, 2018
  14. supermm Win User

after december update will not see external drive.

I have two Xbox One's (Day one editon and a One X), both an external HDD (1TB), latest update and no issues.
  15. Geth Win User

Xbox ruined my external hardrive

Unplug the external drive.

Reset the Xbox back to factory settings.

Run through the latest Xbox update, and then plug in the external hdd.
  16. Riplex Win User

Same probleme here since the update yesterday !
  17. XBF Nestor S Win User

Hey Steven thanks for keeping us in the loop! Go ahead and check out our
    HDD troubleshooter
    as well to make sure all is well on that end. Thanks for the patience and keep us posted!!
  18. stevenstrange2 Win User

Hi

Thanks for your reply will try that soft reset once get stable network here been very unstable last few hours once it's fine the network will do that and let know of any changes or still have problem.

I've also got few games on my internal storage will them games be fine when do soft reset won't get deleted.
Thema:

1. Xbox one latest update with external hdd problem - Similar Threads - latest update external

2. Latest Update now my external HD not showing up

in XboX Insiders
    Latest Update now my external HD not showing up: My seagate external HD was working perfectly, until the recent update. I have checked it extensively on my laptop, and it’s functional. Plug it in to any Xbox USB port, nothing. It only shows my...
  3. After installing latest ASA update 4TB external drive not detected

in XboX Insiders
    After installing latest ASA update 4TB external drive not detected: It was working 5 minutes before updating. Its formatted for games and apps. A NTFS formatted 16GB drive can be detected. I checked power settings and tried different usb ports but the 4TB drive is...
  4. Is anyone having any issues with the latest update not reading external hard drives?

in XboX Insiders
    Is anyone having any issues with the latest update not reading external hard drives?: I've just turned on the console and it's not reading the external hard drive straight away, it takes maybe 2/3 minutes to see it and once it's seen it I can't start any of the games on it. Now...
  5. Latest Xbox update Corrupted External HDD

in XBoX on Consoles
    Latest Xbox update Corrupted External HDD: Wondering if anyone has come across a similar issue? Last night I was playing on xbox and my External HDD was working fine, got up the next day and saw new Dashboard update. Thought it wasn't...
  6. Latest Xbox updates (feb 2020) stopped internal moves or installs on my external drive

in XboX Insiders
    Latest Xbox updates (feb 2020) stopped internal moves or installs on my external drive: Constantly would get installation stopped errors. Drive could be seen. reformatted drive. Drive works on a PC. Tried everything Eventually took the Xbox out of the insider omega preview and...
  7. The latest update might have bricked my external hard drive

in XboX Insiders
    The latest update might have bricked my external hard drive: On Friday when I was gaming, I was prompt to do the update so I did and just went to bed since it was really late. Come the next day, my hard drive wasn’t being picked up by the Xbox so I thought...
  8. Recently installed only shows 5 latest updates (3tb external) be nice to get a list to see...

in XboX Insiders
    Recently installed only shows 5 latest updates (3tb external) be nice to get a list to see...: [IMG] submitted by /u/Bravedwarf1 [link] [comments]
  9. Latest Xbox update and external drive detection?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Latest Xbox update and external drive detection?: Like the title says, after this latest update Xbox is no longer detecting my Mybook external storage device. I've gone through all the steps, power cycling, checking/unchecking things, unplugging...
  10. Latest X1 System Update, cannot see which games installed on Internal / External HD ...

in XBoX on Consoles
    Latest X1 System Update, cannot see which games installed on Internal / External HD ...: When browsing games installed on the Xbox 1 console you used to be able to see which were installed on the internal HD and which were installed on an external HD (being able to transfer between...