Xbox one not formatting hard drive

Discus and support Xbox one not formatting hard drive in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; So plugged in my sony hd-pg5 usb 3.0 500gb hard drive here are its specs Disk size2.5 inches Capacity500 GB USB 3.0/USB 2.0 ×1 Transfer Rate... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by Jinroh451, Jun 6, 2014.

1. Jinroh451
    Jinroh451 Guest

So plugged in my sony hd-pg5 usb 3.0 500gb hard drive here are its specs

Disk size2.5 inches

Capacity500 GB USB 3.0/USB 2.0 ×1

Transfer Rate (Max)Max. 5Gbps (USB 3.0)

Max. 480Mbps (USB2.0)Compatible devicesWindows PC, MacintoshFile SystemNTFSProduct

my xbox one recognizes it and goes threw the menus but it cant format it just gets caught in a loop of recognizing it a trying to format

ive tried formatting it on my laptop to both NTFS and EXFAT

but the same thing happens.

:)

Jinroh451, Jun 6, 2014
  2. External Hard Drives: De-Formatting From Xbox One

I am going to tell you how to remove the formatting on a External Hard Drive from a Xbox One.

Requirements:

Xbox 360

1. Insert external hard drive into Xbox 360

2. Go into System

3. Go into Storage

4. Press 'Y' on External Hard Drive (Will be called "unformatted device")

5. Click on Format

6. The External Hard Drive will now contain the Xbox 360's formatting.

7. If you do not want the Xbox 360's formatting on the External Hard Drive, all you need to do is format the External Hard Drive on a computer. Otherwise, if you don't care that the Xbox 360's formatting is on the External Hard Drive, then ignore this step.

Hope This Helped Anyone Who Did Not Know How To Remove An Xbox One's Formatting From An External Hard Drive!

Rhys Spagnolo, Jun 6, 2014
  3. Hard drive not formatting

I have just bpught a 2tb wd drive and mine wont format either and have just got the new windows 10 dashboard

Flips flackbean, Jun 6, 2014
  4. XBF Ezra G Win User

Issue with game updates Xbox one s

Hi Shaun,

If the hard drive seems to be causing the issue, data on the hard drive may be corrupt. To resolve this, you can format the hard drive and attempt to save content to it again, and see if it affects updates. To format a hard drive, check out this article:

How to format a flash drive to NTFS on Windows
    . The steps are the same for a hard drive, just be sure to select your hard drive for formatting over another device.

I hope this helps.
  5. FrancisHayle Win User

External Hard Drive not working in pc after formatting it on my xbox one

To make your hard drive work again with your computer/or windows you need to plug it into your Xbox 360, and re-format it. Your hard drive will then be formatted to Fat-32, but you can plug it into Windows/your computer, and re-format back to
    NTFS, (Which is, the recommended one). Since the Xbox one runs of the Windows 8 Platform you cannot use your hard drive on Windows. The Xbox One does not format the external hard drive correctly. I have learned this my self.
    Doing the following steps can let you use the hard drive with Windows again.
  6. Auswulf Win User

Can I watch movies from my external hard drive?

Try formatting your hard drive again, could be the manufacturers formatting that could be why the Xbox One isn't reading it. It needs to have a standard NTFS partition for Hard drives and Fat32 for flash drive storage.
  7. GrinningBread92 Win User

Seagate 2TB Game Drive Issue

With the xbox one, the HDD needs to be formatted in its entirety with the Xbox One formatting and partition system, which is slightly different than Windows. The console OS won't "recognize" the hard drive as a game drive until you format it for the games
    on the console.

If you intend on doing both, you need to partition the hard drive in windows, then take it to the console and format it for the games on one partition and media the other.

When you partition a hard drive, everything on it is lost, and you will need to redownload the games to it on the partition you want it to.
  8. Scooby Doo Win User

Formatted a External to use on my Xbox One but now my computer is not recognizing it

Thema:

1. Xbox one not formatting hard drive - Similar Threads - formatting hard drive

2. External hard drive issues and formatting

in XBoX Accessibility
    External hard drive issues and formatting: Hello everyone. I have seen several people complaining about external hard drives not working with their consoles and I have recently had this problem as well. I have found an answer to this...
  3. New external HHD will not work saying it needs USB 3.0 when it is.

in XBoX on Consoles
    New external HHD will not work saying it needs USB 3.0 when it is.: I have now purchased 2 different external HHD's for my XBOX one S, both are well over 256GB and both USB 3.0. One of the HDD was a 2TB and that told me that I needed one with 256GB storage or...
  4. Formatting external hard drive

in XBoX on Consoles
    Formatting external hard drive: I installed games on an external hard drive. XBox One will not save progress to it. I get error message 0x80830003 which is storage full. If I go further it says my external hard drive is not...
  5. hard drive not formatting

in XBoX on Consoles
    hard drive not formatting: Hello, i have a kesu 1tb ext hdd that i want to use with the xboxone i plug it in, it sees the drive, and asks if i want games or music i tell it games>format warning> format confirm. it then...
  6. Xbox 360 won't set up like new device after formatting hard drive?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox 360 won't set up like new device after formatting hard drive?: Normally when your format your hard drive and memory unit it allows you to set-up your xbox 360 like a new xbox 360.... but mine just said it was done and returned to the storage menu in the...
  7. Formatting Hard Drive

in XBoX on Consoles
    Formatting Hard Drive: I was trying to install some updates for my games on my xbox one. It said there was no space on my xbox which is true; however, I had downloads set to go directly to my hard drive with 1.3 TB...
  8. Xbox One X External Hard Drive Format

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox One X External Hard Drive Format: Split from this thread. How do you change the format for games to a NTFS format? c1a73eef-6231-4f7f-90b9-c45e0c508d1b
  9. External Hard Drive Not Formatting

in XBoX on Consoles
    External Hard Drive Not Formatting: I just bought a 500 gb external hard drive with a USB 3.0 and connected to my Xbox one. It detects it but only as a media storage device, it doesn't ask me if I want to format, what should I do?...
  10. 2 tb hard drive i bought is not being detected by Xbox to format. followed directions to a ...

in XBoX on Consoles
    2 tb hard drive i bought is not being detected by Xbox to format. followed directions to a ...: it is not being detected when I plug it in and I don't know what to do now. tried reformatting it and deleting and reuploading a partition to it. nothing will work. help...