Xbox One Re-downloading entire game file as an "update"

Discus and support Xbox One Re-downloading entire game file as an "update" in XBoX Games and Apps to solve the problem; Hello, I am having an ongoing issue with my Xbox One telling me a game needs an "update" and then it re-downloads the entire game file instead of just... Discussion in 'XBoX Games and Apps' started by Katawampus, Oct 2, 2019.

1. Katawampus
    Katawampus Guest

Hello,

I am having an ongoing issue with my Xbox One telling me a game needs an "update" and then it re-downloads the entire game file instead of just an update patch file.

This is not specific to just one game - the 5 latest and largest files sized ones are:

Fishing Sim World (currently happening for the second time right now) - both times game file is on External HD

Forza Motorsport 6 - Happened a couple of years ago now but the download was at well over 1,400% before it eventually completed in the middle of the night

Forza Horizon 3 - only happened 1 time - with game file on console HD not External

Red Dead Redemption 2 - Happened twice with game file on external HD - roughly 4 & 7 months ago respectively

Mx Vrs. ATV Encore - Happened twice - once with file on console HD and once on External HD - When it tried to do it a 3rd time I gave up.

I have gone through all of the information I can find online through various forums and have tried every remedy mentioned with no success whatsoever.

I have tried switching my Xbox from Instant-on to power-saver mode multiple times and this issue occurs regardless of that setting.

I do a complete shut-down of the console at least once a week, generally 2 to 3 times.

As mentioned above I do run external hard drives but this issue also happens with game files on the onboard Console hard drive as well - even If I try to change the install location it still happens.

In case you are not aware, service providers do not give data away for free and these modern game files are not small at all - regular update files are bad enough but having to re-download 25GB+ files constantly just to play the games that I already own
    is absolutely ridiculous.

My internet connection is also very slow (thank you Canadian I.S.P's!!) and at an average of less than 5mb/s it takes an extremely long time to download these excessively large files so this whole "let's just try and re-download things time & time again
    to see if the problem magically fixes itself" is not a viable solution for me.

I would like to be able to communicate with an actual human being that works for Microsoft/Xbox about this Microsoft/Xbox related problem, I have tried the auto-bot route as well as online chatting with another gamer (I would have been better off talking
    to myself for all the good that did) so please endeavor to contact me personally so that we can come to a resolution for this problem.

I believe this is a publicly viewable post so I am not providing my personal contact information here but given that I am logged in with my gamer tag to submit this in the first place you should be able to contact me with the information on file for
    (kindly note that I am a long-time xbox customer with zero questionable activity with my account - pretty sure I fall under a "good customer" category)

Thank you in advance for your time & assistance.

P.S- Yes I am aware this is a double post - Done as both a question and a discussion in hopes that either one may get a helpful response. Thank you for providing a simple way for your customers to contact your company.

:)

Katawampus, Oct 2, 2019
  2. XBF Brad A Win User

Xbox One downloading entire game file as an "update"

Hi Katawampus,

Thanks for coming to the forums. The most likely cause of this, is somehow the game is corrupt. Also if you are updating and you pause the update, this will sometimes uninstall the game to stop corruption. Also, if your internet disconnects for seconds,
    it can cause a corruption which it will redownload the game.

The best thing to do is when there is an update let it go completely. Don't pause it or try and play game. If you can go with a wired connection not a wireless as a wired connection is more stable.

Hope this helps.

Brad
  3. pawncrackers Win User

Xbox One downloading entire game file as an "update"

Hi there,

Are you a part of the Xbox Insider Program at all? I am, and have experienced the same issues a few times in the past. This might be what is causing the abnormal download/game update sizes you're seeing. I completely relate to your concerns about data usage
    - some of us aren't as lucky to have unlimited data. :/

My best advice, would be to use the 'Report a Problem' function via your Xbox, by holding down the Guide button. Hopefully, as you see more console updates, this problem will be rectified.

Hope this helps,

L
  4. HomegrownSilky Win User

Missing Info After Hard Drive Transfer

Have you re-downloaded the arcade games from xbox live? The transfer kit moved the files to the new drive for you but you need to update the licenses by re-downloading the games. It won't actually download the whole game since it is already on your hard
    drive but it will download the updated license. It should only take a few seconds per game to download.
  5. City Hunter Ren Win User

worms

Did you delete just the save file or the entire game?

You can always re-download the game on the Live marketplace or in you download history.

My suggestions:

-try to delete and re-download the game again.

-if it don't work, try to clear the xbox cache (on the dashboard go to the system tabs > highlight you harddisk and press Y > select "clear system cache" ) and download ther game again.

It should work now.
  6. ArminatorX Win User

license transfer issue.

... i can't renew the licenses by re-downloading the dlc (due to it being removed from the store entirely). I can no longer access the dlc at all, even though the dlc data is on my hard drive.
    Unfortunately, in order for the License Transfer to work, you will have to ask your console to re-download the DLC. If the content is still on your harddrive, and the content is still available as a download, the console will simply download the updated
    license file to allow offline play.

However, if the publisher has removed the content entirely (usually, it's just delisted from the store, but you can still download it), then there is nothing you can do, I'm afraid.

You'd have to ask the publisher of the game if the DLC is still available for owners that bought the DLC, or if it was removed entirely.
Thema:

1. Xbox One Re-downloading entire game file as an "update" - Similar Threads - downloading entire game

2. Xbox One downloading entire game file as an "update"

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Xbox One downloading entire game file as an "update": Hello, I am having an ongoing issue with my Xbox One telling me a game needs an "update" and then it re-downloads the entire game file instead of just an update patch file. This is not specific...
  3. Xbox One X downloads entire game instead of just updating

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox One X downloads entire game instead of just updating: Split from this thread. Same thing is happening with mine too had 1000 mb update for red dead had to reinstall the whole 100gigs also does it with all my other updates black ops 4 destiny 2 halo...
  4. Xbox One X downloads entire game instead of just updating

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox One X downloads entire game instead of just updating: Hi guys, I just wanted to download the new update (around 5GB) for Red Dead Redemption 2 and it started off fine. I came back 4 hours later (thinking that the update would obviously be done) to...
  5. Digital Deluxe edition re downloads ENTIRE game after every update is released!!!

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Digital Deluxe edition re downloads ENTIRE game after every update is released!!!: Been going back and forth with some idiot from @XboxSupport on Twitter. Here is the conversation. [img] [img] [img] [img] 68e6e890-61c1-4eba-b324-edb24dfc6fe8
  6. Disc owners still have to download entire game?

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Disc owners still have to download entire game?: I have been hearing rumors that owners of the physical disc for GoW4 are still having to download the entire game plus the 11 gb update. Is this true? And if it is what is the purpose of having...
  7. Downloading entire games when patches drop.

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Downloading entire games when patches drop.: Hiya, Whenever a patch drops it seems any games I have on an external hard drive re-download the entire game. Just this weekend, GTA V, Shadows of Mordor and Dragon's Age ALL re-installed...
  8. Updates Always Download The Entire Game

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Updates Always Download The Entire Game: Hello, and thank you in advance to those who offer help. It does not matter whether it was originally a download or a physical disc (actually, this almost exclusively happened with games that I...
  9. Updates Always Download The Entire Game

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Updates Always Download The Entire Game: Hello, and thank you in advance to those who offer help. It does not matter whether it was originally a download or a physical disc (actually, this almost exclusively happened with games that I...
  10. Backwards compatibility requires downloading the entire game? + how does it work?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Backwards compatibility requires downloading the entire game? + how does it work?: So....apparently Xbox One 360 compatibility has you downloading the entire game over the Internet, rather than having it install from disc? I stuck in Fallout 3, and that's what seemed to be...