[xbox one s] External HDD inaccessible since June system update!

Discus and support [xbox one s] External HDD inaccessible since June system update! in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; I don't understand why the dev team has to go break things for no good reason. * Nothing wrong with the USB3.0 ports * Nothing wrong with the Ext.... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by TrialRook955858, Aug 19, 2019.

1. [xbox one s] External HDD inaccessible since June system update!

I don't understand why the dev team has to go break things for no good reason.

* Nothing wrong with the USB3.0 ports

* Nothing wrong with the Ext. HDD

* Nothing wrong with the power supplies

* Nothing wrong with the USB cable

* already put a ticket in with online support, now I wonder if they have done their job!

:)

TrialRook955858, Aug 19, 2019
  2. xThe Leprechaun Win User

You’re not the only one wirh this exact issue. There have been a small amount of posts here and on reddit about external hard drives not being recognized after system update. Keep communicating so it is taken seriously and fixed quickly.
  3. choppyseize Win User

If you're in the preview program. You've agreed that there are risks involved. All you can do is report the bug. Otherwise you should try Onyx's advice. He's very wise.
  4. Onyx Is Here Win User

This has happened to me as well. However, although my drive is still recognized some content could not be updated or, if deleted, redownloaded to the external drive. For the time being I've installed that content to the internal.

If you like you can try reformatting your drives to see if that helps. You can reformat by following the instructions below

1. On the PC go to the Start Menu and type Disk Management in the search bar then press enter. If any pop up come up just click Cancel

2. Search for the drive on the list. It should have a red arrow next to it and say that it's not initialized

3. Select Initialize in the pop up menu. Don't change any info on the next menu

4. Right click on the drive and select New Simple Volume

5. Click next on all screens until you see Finish. Click it

From here you should have a notification that you've connected a new hard drive. You can now find it in the PC folder, right click on it and select Format. I would recommend unchecking the option for the fast format and let it do a full one.

You can read the article on how to do the reset via this link
    https://www.gottabemobile.com/how-to-fix-your-hard-drive-after-using-it-for-xbox-one/

One final note. If you do not see an option to Initialize the disc right click on the drive and select Convert to MBR. Others have luck in selecting this option to have the disc be read by the console without reformatting it.
  5. TrialRook955858 Win User

How long do I have to wait for this to be fixed? Till PS5 release?
  6. TrialRook955858 Win User

Appreciate the detailed reply. But as I stated the ext.hdd is fine, which means I have already reformated it and did a full surface scan to make sure it's well. If the xbox one is user friendly, which I think not, it should include an option to scan for
    ext. drive, and display the log of the process. That would have saved me a lot of time, and pinpoint the problems for M$ to fix.

Honestly I wouldn't have enabled the auto-update if I know M$ is so careless, or I just hoped for the best :(

This has happened to me as well. However, although my drive is still recognized some content could not be updated or, if deleted, redownloaded to the external drive. For the time being I've installed that content to the internal.

If you like you can try reformatting your drives to see if that helps. You can reformat by following the instructions below

1. On the PC go to the Start Menu and type Disk Management in the search bar then press enter. If any pop up come up just click Cancel

2. Search for the drive on the list. It should have a red arrow next to it and say that it's not initialized

3. Select Initialize in the pop up menu. Don't change any info on the next menu

4. Right click on the drive and select New Simple Volume

5. Click next on all screens until you see Finish. Click it

From here you should have a notification that you've connected a new hard drive. You can now find it in the PC folder, right click on it and select Format. I would recommend unchecking the option for the fast format and let it do a full one.

You can read the article on how to do the reset via this link
    https://www.gottabemobile.com/how-to-fix-your-hard-drive-after-using-it-for-xbox-one/

One final note. If you do not see an option to Initialize the disc right click on the drive and select Convert to MBR. Others have luck in selecting this option to have the disc be read by the console without reformatting it.
Thema:

1. [xbox one s] External HDD inaccessible since June system update! - Similar Threads - External HDD inaccessible

2. Download a Game pass game in an external HDD from different console and transfer to mine

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Download a Game pass game in an external HDD from different console and transfer to mine: Right now I don't count with unlimited home internet plan so I can't download heavy games in my console. I wonder if I can download the game in an external HDD from my friend's console and then...
  3. External HDD constantly flashing while there is nothing in queue. Apps or games not...

in XboX Insiders
    External HDD constantly flashing while there is nothing in queue. Apps or games not...: After checking out new Alpha update I switched my one X off. It's on standby mode btw. After few hours passed I noticed external HDD light flashing, thinking it might be downloading some updates...
  4. Installing Apps on an External HDD

in XBoX on Windows
    Installing Apps on an External HDD: Hello I use a laptop for gaming and I don't want to use my internal hdd to install games from the Windows Store (like Gears 5 or games from Xbox Game Pass), so i decided to use an external hdd i...
  5. Console shuts down external HDD issue

in XBoX on Consoles
    Console shuts down external HDD issue: Hello, i use an XBOX ONE X with the external HDD Western Digital My Book 12 TB USB 3.0. The Problem i got, is that when i go to XBOX Settings → System → Storage → select the external HDD →...
  6. External HDD fail

in XBoX on Consoles
    External HDD fail: Hi I dropped my external hard drive now my xbox one s will not recognise it, i tried different ports hard reset the xbox but no joy. The lights are on the hard drive and it vibrates like its...
  7. Share an external HDD for Xbox (beta) on multiple PCs

in XBoX on Windows
    Share an external HDD for Xbox (beta) on multiple PCs: Hi, I have an Game Pass Ultimate subscription. I have a gaming PC at home and a Laptop that I use, when I'm on the road. I wanted to install my games from the Xbox (beta)-App on an external HDD,...
  8. Xbox one s with external HDD / log out live

in XBoX Accessibility
    Xbox one s with external HDD / log out live: Hello, I have the following problem with my Xbox one s. I have an externak 500GB HDD with games. Every time when the hdd connected to the xbox the xbox live log out automaticaly. If I do not have...
  9. Download games and updates onto external HDD through PC for install on console later

in XBoX on Consoles
    Download games and updates onto external HDD through PC for install on console later: I have really crappy internet at home and only 10 gb of data to use per month. Is there any way that I could bring an external HDD to work to download content through my PC and then run the...
  10. Can I use an external HDD to install games to?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Can I use an external HDD to install games to?: I have a 1TB external hard drive that I use for backups on my Mac computer. My Xbox storage is filling up fairly quickly, especially with games like Modern Warfare taking over 100GB to install....