[xbox one s] External HDD inaccessible since June system update!

Discus and support [xbox one s] External HDD inaccessible since June system update! in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; I don't understand why the dev team has to go break things for no good reason. * Nothing wrong with the USB3.0 ports * Nothing wrong with the Ext.... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by TrialRook955858, Aug 19, 2019.

1. [xbox one s] External HDD inaccessible since June system update!

I don't understand why the dev team has to go break things for no good reason.

* Nothing wrong with the USB3.0 ports

* Nothing wrong with the Ext. HDD

* Nothing wrong with the power supplies

* Nothing wrong with the USB cable

* already put a ticket in with online support, now I wonder if they have done their job!

:)

TrialRook955858, Aug 19, 2019
  2. xThe Leprechaun Win User

You’re not the only one wirh this exact issue. There have been a small amount of posts here and on reddit about external hard drives not being recognized after system update. Keep communicating so it is taken seriously and fixed quickly.
  3. choppyseize Win User

If you're in the preview program. You've agreed that there are risks involved. All you can do is report the bug. Otherwise you should try Onyx's advice. He's very wise.
  4. Onyx Is Here Win User

This has happened to me as well. However, although my drive is still recognized some content could not be updated or, if deleted, redownloaded to the external drive. For the time being I've installed that content to the internal.

If you like you can try reformatting your drives to see if that helps. You can reformat by following the instructions below

1. On the PC go to the Start Menu and type Disk Management in the search bar then press enter. If any pop up come up just click Cancel

2. Search for the drive on the list. It should have a red arrow next to it and say that it's not initialized

3. Select Initialize in the pop up menu. Don't change any info on the next menu

4. Right click on the drive and select New Simple Volume

5. Click next on all screens until you see Finish. Click it

From here you should have a notification that you've connected a new hard drive. You can now find it in the PC folder, right click on it and select Format. I would recommend unchecking the option for the fast format and let it do a full one.

You can read the article on how to do the reset via this link
    https://www.gottabemobile.com/how-to-fix-your-hard-drive-after-using-it-for-xbox-one/

One final note. If you do not see an option to Initialize the disc right click on the drive and select Convert to MBR. Others have luck in selecting this option to have the disc be read by the console without reformatting it.
  5. TrialRook955858 Win User

Appreciate the detailed reply. But as I stated the ext.hdd is fine, which means I have already reformated it and did a full surface scan to make sure it's well. If the xbox one is user friendly, which I think not, it should include an option to scan for
    ext. drive, and display the log of the process. That would have saved me a lot of time, and pinpoint the problems for M$ to fix.

Honestly I wouldn't have enabled the auto-update if I know M$ is so careless, or I just hoped for the best :(

This has happened to me as well. However, although my drive is still recognized some content could not be updated or, if deleted, redownloaded to the external drive. For the time being I've installed that content to the internal.

If you like you can try reformatting your drives to see if that helps. You can reformat by following the instructions below

1. On the PC go to the Start Menu and type Disk Management in the search bar then press enter. If any pop up come up just click Cancel

2. Search for the drive on the list. It should have a red arrow next to it and say that it's not initialized

3. Select Initialize in the pop up menu. Don't change any info on the next menu

4. Right click on the drive and select New Simple Volume

5. Click next on all screens until you see Finish. Click it

From here you should have a notification that you've connected a new hard drive. You can now find it in the PC folder, right click on it and select Format. I would recommend unchecking the option for the fast format and let it do a full one.

You can read the article on how to do the reset via this link
    https://www.gottabemobile.com/how-to-fix-your-hard-drive-after-using-it-for-xbox-one/

One final note. If you do not see an option to Initialize the disc right click on the drive and select Convert to MBR. Others have luck in selecting this option to have the disc be read by the console without reformatting it.
  6. Jason of Oz Win User

External HDD Support

Looks like external HDD support will be a part of the June update.
Thema:

1. [xbox one s] External HDD inaccessible since June system update! - Similar Threads - External HDD inaccessible

2. External HDD

in XBoX on Consoles
    External HDD: I just filled my 8 TB external HDD and was looking to get another eternal going. I saw WD was releasing a 12 TB External for the Xbox and was conserving getting that. I’ve read different things...
  3. Xbox Preview Destroy my Externals HDD

in XboX Insiders
    Xbox Preview Destroy my Externals HDD: I have an Xbox One X, I was an insider since day one, but a year ago I decided to go normal. Since the new dash, I wanted to try, so I enroll back in alpha. Since I'm playing mostly Destiny 2, I...
  4. New external HHD will not work saying it needs USB 3.0 when it is.

in XBoX on Consoles
    New external HHD will not work saying it needs USB 3.0 when it is.: I have now purchased 2 different external HHD's for my XBOX one S, both are well over 256GB and both USB 3.0. One of the HDD was a 2TB and that told me that I needed one with 256GB storage or...
  5. External HDD issues Alpha Skip Ahead

in XboX Insiders
    External HDD issues Alpha Skip Ahead: has anyone had issues with their external hard drive where it will not show the games but it will list the number of games near the Games info in games & apps. i have tried the drive on another...
  6. External HDD Not Being Recognized?

in XboX Insiders
    External HDD Not Being Recognized?: I just finished moving and I just set up all my consoles but for some reason my External HDD is not being recognized? I’ve tried power cycle. Every form of plugging out and in, turning on and off....
  7. Update issue with external hdd

in XBoX on Consoles
    Update issue with external hdd: Since July 2019 update, my Xbox x will not recognize my wd external hdd. I have done all steps already as per your site with no luck. Help please. Used my friends seagate hdd and it was...
  8. Installing a game on both external and internal HDD causes bugs?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Installing a game on both external and internal HDD causes bugs?: Hello, Unsure if this is related to the game developer and/or its both xbox and game dev. In this game called "state of decay 2" I had the game installed on both - which caused a lot of bugs...
  9. External hdd troubles.

in XBoX on Consoles
    External hdd troubles.: Hi all. I am experiencing the most weird thing I have ever seen on my console. I have the xbox one s 1tb. I have an external 1tb hdd that I have been using for a while no problems. I have a 2nd...
  10. External HDD not powering off with the console. Even in power save mode.

in XBoX on Consoles
    External HDD not powering off with the console. Even in power save mode.: Just piggybacking on a question posted by someone else: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/xbox/forum/all/external-hard-drive-not-turning-off-when-i-turn/2b16dc4a-45ad-4b78-bab9-eb2e59d614fe I...