Xbox One S ticking noise when off

Discus and support Xbox One S ticking noise when off in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; Hi, I just bought a Xbox One S a few weeks ago, and I noticed that when the console is completely off in energy saving mode, I can hear ticking noise... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by MarekGrežďo, Aug 1, 2019.

1. Xbox One S ticking noise when off

Hi, I just bought a Xbox One S a few weeks ago, and I noticed that when the console is completely off in energy saving mode, I can hear ticking noise from the back of the console. The only way to stop the sound is to unplug the console. I am not using a
    surge protector.

I don't really mind the sound, because I can only hear it when I put my head close to the console, but I just want to know if it is normal, or if something is broken.

A lot of people have this issue, and a lot of them say it is just the power supply in the console.

What do you think?

:)

MarekGrežďo, Aug 1, 2019
  2. SigmaTheDJ Win User

Weird Noise coming from Power Brick

My issue is that the fan ticks. The console is set up in a bedroom. When everything is turned off (or on standby), I hear this fast "tick, tick, tick" from the Xbox One PSU. I specifically built my PC to be as close to silent as I could make it, so I can
    even hear the Xbox One PSU ticking over the sound of my PC when that's turned on. I'm not saying that the noise is "loud", because it's not. But any noise that can clearly and constantly be heard when a product is supposedly turned off is not good, especially
    an annoying ticking sound.
  3. PalmettoBling Win User

Xbox One S Ticking Noise When Off

I'm sorry you're having this problem, and I understand your concern and frustration.

The quickest solution, if still available, would be to exchange it with the retailer, though this might not be an option, depending on when it was purchased.

Outside of that, if it's an issue, and I don't have an S model or familiar with the clicking sound so I don't know how loud it is, I would say go through the process for repair at devicesupport.microsoft.com You can register your console to your account
    there, if not already, and go through the simple process to get a repair order. They also have options to talk with support along that path, who might be able to provide more specific information on the repair/replacement process.

Let me know if you have any other questions. I've replaced some consoles in the past, so I'm familiar with that, and have had a good experience.

Best of luck!
  4. XBF Esteban R Win User

Xbox One S Ticking Noise When Off

Hey there, hcoleh!

So, ticking sounds could be a symptom of a hardware issue that needs to be attended to.

If you have proof of purchase, most retailers will let you swap it out for another console, but you can also get it serviced by Microsoft directly.

If you do wanna go that route, I would suggest registering the console here at

https://support.microsoft.com/devices
    and go create a repair order.

You can also try and contacting support and have an agent outline what kind of options you have via a callback by going through this site
    https://support.xbox.com/contact-us

Give that info a look through and let us know if that helped with the issue

Thanks!
  5. XBF Amber M Win User

Hi MarekGrežďo,

Thanks for reaching out to us in the forums for this interesting issue. I recommend you try putting the console into the Instant On mode to see if the noise continues or not, or try toggling between the two modes to see if this effects a change. Generally
    speaking, Instant On is recommended as this allows the console to receive updates in the background in a timely fashion to keep you up to date.

About energy-saving and instant-on power modes

Addtionally, you may wish to try a full physical power cycle to the console as well to see if that helps out.

1. Turn off the Xbox One console by pressing the Xbox button on the front of the console for about 10 seconds until it shuts down completely.
    2. Unplug the console's power cable. Wait 10 seconds.
      Important Be sure to wait 10 seconds. This step resets the power supply.
    3. Plug the console power cable back in.
    4. Press the Xbox button on your console to turn on the Xbox One.

Give these a try and let us know the results.

I hope this helps out!
  6. SigmaTheDJ Win User

Weird Noise coming from Power Brick

@Mister Urkel - The noise my PSU makes is caused by the fan. Either the bearing is a bit dodgy, the fan is a little out of alignment, or there's something touching the blades, but it makes a really fast ticking noise. The noise is very quiet - I can't hear
    it when I'm gaming - but the fan runs 24/7 when the Xbox One is set to sleep mode, so when I'm not gaming and I'm sitting in the room quietly, I can hear "tick, tick, tick, tick". It's annoying to the point where I disabled the sleep mode so that the PSU turns
    off when the console is off, but that gimps some of the Xbox One's features. I have tried plugging the PSU directly into a wall socket and plugging it into a power strip, but it's the same either way.

To be honest, it was exactly the same with the Xbox 360 S power supplies. When that revision of the console came out, tons of people said "the console is really quiet, but the fan in the PSU is noisy!" and my own 360 S PSU is quite noisy, but at least with
    that, when the 360 S is turned off, the PSU fan goes off as well.

Personally, I don't consider these PSUs to be good quality, but a good quality PSU costs quite a lot of money, so I can see why they are the way they are, but it's a shame when the console itself is so quiet. I'm a bit baffled why the PSU couldn't be inside
    the case this time, given the relatively low power draw of the console. A large TV will consume about the same Wattage as the Xbox One under load, yet the power board in TVs is small and quiet and inside a thin case too.
Thema:

1. Xbox One S ticking noise when off - Similar Threads - ticking noise off

2. Xbox making a ticking/clicking noise

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox making a ticking/clicking noise: Howdy, So today I turned on my xbox to find its making a ticking/clicking noise. It's never done it before so I was curious and started looking it up. The only things I could find were posts from...
  3. Xbox One X making a whining noise and ticking even when on standby, but not when turned ...

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox One X making a whining noise and ticking even when on standby, but not when turned ...: I bought the gold rush edition of the Xbox One X a week ago and when I plugged it in and turned it on the console began making a faint ticking noise. I didn't think this was a big problem so I...
  4. 2Wire: Xbox making ticking noise

in XboX Networking Hardware
    2Wire: Xbox making ticking noise: 2Wire (Modems/Gateways): Xbox making ticking noise A problem just arose with my Xbox one. It starts making a ticking noise at random times, mainly when I start my Xbox one up. any tips?...
  5. Xbox One S Ticking Noise When Off

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox One S Ticking Noise When Off: Hello. I am having the "ticking sound" issue that others have posted about up here with my xbox one s. My system is only a month or two old. was manufactured 4/20/18. Most of the posts are a year...
  6. Xbox beeping and ticking noise

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox beeping and ticking noise: The sound it’s makingLately my sons Xbox has been making a very loud beeping and ticking noise. The beeping is very loud and then the ticking sounds like an overheated engine. While I don’t think...
  7. Xbox one turns on yet won't start up and makes a repeating mechanical ticking noise

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox one turns on yet won't start up and makes a repeating mechanical ticking noise: Hello So turned my Xbox one off last night (using the button as always) then turned it back on this morning (button again) and suddenly it won't start up. It turns on just fine yet there's a...
  8. Ticking noise in the fan XBOX ONE S 1TB

in XBoX on Consoles
    Ticking noise in the fan XBOX ONE S 1TB: Hi ! I'm from Mexico, this 23rd of december i bought a xbox one S 1TB (bundle Assasin's creed origins & Rainbow six). The problem here is that the fan of the console is ticking a little bit, it's...
  9. New Xbox One S Ticking Fan Noise - Normal?

in XBoX on Consoles
    New Xbox One S Ticking Fan Noise - Normal?: Hi Everyone, I recently purchased a new Xbox One S ( the 1TB Forza bundle ). It's only a week old, and I am already hearing this low-level, constant ticking/clicking/purring noise, which I'm...
  10. my xbox will not turn on and has a faint ticking noise from the xbox.

in XBoX on Consoles
    my xbox will not turn on and has a faint ticking noise from the xbox.: i have attempted all basic trouble shooting steps and my AC Adapter is functioning along with the wall port it is plugged into. Last night i had unplugged the xbox to check a USB port in the back,...