Xbox One should switch back to Receiver decoding Atmos

Discus and support Xbox One should switch back to Receiver decoding Atmos in XboX Insiders to solve the problem; Ever since the Dolby access app, there has been a problem with Dolby Atmos movies for me on Netflix. Back awhile ago when the Xbox allowed the... Discussion in 'XboX Insiders' started by /u/Hotbannana, Feb 17, 2020.

1. Xbox One should switch back to Receiver decoding Atmos

Ever since the Dolby access app, there has been a problem with Dolby Atmos movies for me on Netflix.

Back awhile ago when the Xbox allowed the receiver to do the decoding it worked perfect.

In my opinion, don''t fix what ain't broken!!!

At least the option should still be there, and have the choice of which to use.

submitted by /u/Hotbannana
    [link] [comments]

/u/Hotbannana, Feb 17, 2020
  2. ChiefJoboo Win User

Onkyo TX SR 444 ATMOS

Apparently dolby atmos will only transfer through hdmi and not optical,i was just wondering whether it is something to do with hdr
    Do you have "let receiver decode audio" enabled in Settings > Disc & Blu Ray > Blu ray?

And after that go to Settings > Display & Sound and go, under HDMI audio, to Bitstream format and select "Dolby Atmos for home theater".

After doing this the blue light for Dolby Atmos should be lit on your receiver when it is decoding Dolby Atmos input.
  3. BLADERUNNER811 Win User

Dolby Atmos

I had the exact same problem with my 4k Mockingjay and other movies. I enrolled in the preview program a few months ago just to get Dolby Atmos compatibility with my movie collection. At first the movie played with the Dolby Atmos track without problems,
    but after the last update it stopped working. I quit the program and reset my Xbox One to get the official firmware with final support for Dolby Atmos but it kept showing an error.

A few days ago I was able to download the Dolby application which as Cpt Chaos 2 says outputs everything as Dolby Atmos. The problem is if I "Let my receiver decode audio" like Xbox support suggests for Atmos to work, then the error keeps showing up even
    though everything else seems to work fine on Dolby Atmos, but if I uncheck the option to let my receiver decode audio it plays all of my BluRay movies without a problem with the dolby atmos light on, on my HW-K950. When I play the movie it sounds like it is
    the actual Atmos track, and in the audio settings "Bitstream out" with Dolby Atmos is on, but the "Let my receiver decode audio" option is off in the BluRay app so I am confused. Is it enough that the XBOX is bitstreaming all the audio out to the Home Theater
    even if the BluRay app has the option to decode audio off? Is my sound system really decoding the Atmos tracks even though the option is off on the BluRay player app but supposedly everything is outputted via the audio settings of the Xbox?

This is really confusing. I talked to customer service and they had no idea. They dind't even understand what dolby atmos was and told me that the problem must be on my movie collection even though I told them it used to work perfectly on my PS4 before I
    sold it to get 4K and Dolby Atmos support with my Xbox One S.

I would really appreciate if someone could clarify this, because everytime I activate the "let my receiver decode audio option" on the BluRay app, a lot of my movies without an Atmos track show an error and even some with an Atmos track like Mockingjay don't
    play either. I want to know if the bitstream out option really works on bluray movies even if the option to decode audio by my receiver is off on the bluray settings.

Note: BTW, I tried something weird, if I start playing Mockingjay with the "Let my receiver decode audio" option on it shows an error, but if I turn it off and it opens without problems, and then turn the decode setting on again, the movie resumes fine with
    the "Let my receiver decode audio" option on.
    Hi,

I have a similar issue in that my 950 won't output any sound if the "Let my Receiver decode audio" option is on plus the "Atmos (via HDMI ONLY). The only way I can get sound is to turn these two options off. I get good sound and it seems like it's still
    Atmos but no blue light or Atmos message on the 950 display.
  4. GhaziKA Win User

Dolby Atmos

I had the exact same problem with my 4k Mockingjay and other movies. I enrolled in the preview program a few months ago just to get Dolby Atmos compatibility with my movie collection. At first the movie played with the Dolby Atmos track without problems,
    but after the last update it stopped working. I quit the program and reset my Xbox One to get the official firmware with final support for Dolby Atmos but it kept showing an error.

A few days ago I was able to download the Dolby application which as Cpt Chaos 2 says outputs everything as Dolby Atmos. The problem is if I "Let my receiver decode audio" like Xbox support suggests for Atmos to work, then the error keeps showing up even
    though everything else seems to work fine on Dolby Atmos, but if I uncheck the option to let my receiver decode audio it plays all of my BluRay movies without a problem with the dolby atmos light on, on my HW-K950. When I play the movie it sounds like it is
    the actual Atmos track, and in the audio settings "Bitstream out" with Dolby Atmos is on, but the "Let my receiver decode audio" option is off in the BluRay app so I am confused. Is it enough that the XBOX is bitstreaming all the audio out to the Home Theater
    even if the BluRay app has the option to decode audio off? Is my sound system really decoding the Atmos tracks even though the option is off on the BluRay player app but supposedly everything is outputted via the audio settings of the Xbox?

This is really confusing. I talked to customer service and they had no idea. They dind't even understand what dolby atmos was and told me that the problem must be on my movie collection even though I told them it used to work perfectly on my PS4 before I
    sold it to get 4K and Dolby Atmos support with my Xbox One S.

I would really appreciate if someone could clarify this, because everytime I activate the "let my receiver decode audio option" on the BluRay app, a lot of my movies without an Atmos track show an error and even some with an Atmos track like Mockingjay don't
    play either. I want to know if the bitstream out option really works on bluray movies even if the option to decode audio by my receiver is off on the bluray settings.

Note: BTW, I tried something weird, if I start playing Mockingjay with the "Let my receiver decode audio" option on it shows an error, but if I turn it off and it opens without problems, and then turn the decode setting on again, the movie resumes fine with
    the "Let my receiver decode audio" option on.
  5. Mister Beep Win User

Dolby atmos not working

Do you have a Dolby Atmos compatible receiver, sound bar, or speaker system? If you do, have you changed the settings within 'Disc & Blu-ray settings' on your Xbox One to enable 'Let my receiver decode audio'? Currently Dolby Atmos is only supported within
    the Blu-ray app for Dolby Atmos compatible Blu-Ray movies.

Keep us posted!
  6. VectorCatch Win User

Dolby Atmos on the Xbox One S console

I seriously doubt that will be supported. Sound isn't something you just patch with software, it requires decoders and DACs which is also hardware related.

I'd assume they went with HDR10 for a reason as even Sony skipped the Dolby Atmos support.
    HDR10 is a video spec. Dolby Vision would be the equivalent video spec. Atmos is an encoding in the audio stream that the receiver would decode. (similar to how Pro Logic worked a long time ago). The reason is doesn't work on the xbox is the xbox decodes
    and sends uncompressed audio to the receiver. For Atmos to work correctly it would need to send the Atmos encoded bitstream to the receiver. This is the crux, they could support this feature on 4k Blu-rays and other video sources, but the audio would have
    to be preencoded with it and the xbox would have to bypass it's internal decoder. The issue with that is that you then lose the mixer, meaning that they cannot add other audio sounds into the stream (like notifications sounds etc.). Ultimately you will probably
    never see a game utilize Atmos, but they may add support for movies.

Personal opinion, Atmos will be dead in a few years. These crazy niche audio schemes never hang around. DTS and Dolby try new ones every few years, but they never really work for the average consumer. Atmos requires additional speakers or specially purchased
    ones and the vast majority of people don't even have 5.1, and those that do don't generally want to replace/upgrade there speakers that often.
Thema:

Xbox One should switch back to Receiver decoding Atmos

1. Xbox One should switch back to Receiver decoding Atmos - Similar Threads - should switch Receiver

2. Should Microsoft make Fortnite free to play without Xbox Live Gold?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Should Microsoft make Fortnite free to play without Xbox Live Gold?: Microsoft should make Fortnite free to play, there is no sense that people needs a subscription to play these games, This will make people angry, less people playing on Xbox and Microsoft dosen't...
  3. Should I report him or not?

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Should I report him or not?: Hey there, last night i played Rocket League on my Xbox. Once there was a guy that was really toxic. I didn't say anything but he kept calling that i'm trash. After the match i send him a message...
  4. Could you please fix this? I don't understand why this should be inappropriate. I don't...

in XboX Insiders
    Could you please fix this? I don't understand why this should be inappropriate. I don't...: [IMG] submitted by /u/Saimondek [link] [comments]
  5. Xbox should add special characters such as “_” and “-“ to the gamertags.

in XBoX Accessibility
    Xbox should add special characters such as “_” and “-“ to the gamertags.: I’ve seen this on the PS4 and PC, so why not Xbox? It’ll add more availability to gamertags. 2b4b7387-077f-4224-a717-bb5c8e8939c7
  6. 2nd Xbox to set-up - anything I should know/do to make sure it goes smoothly?

in XBoX on Consoles
    2nd Xbox to set-up - anything I should know/do to make sure it goes smoothly?: I received my Xbox One X today, and will set it up this evening. It's our second Xbox - we've had a One S for a year. I am the main account holder, my son has an account under the family group...
  7. Should MS make Windows Mixed Reality VR Headsets Series X compatible and ask Valve to...

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Should MS make Windows Mixed Reality VR Headsets Series X compatible and ask Valve to...: I think Valve would release Half Life Alyx on Series X if Microsoft allows PC VR headsets to work on Series X. It would cost me 2 grand to build a PC capable of running Half Life Alyx at Ultra...
  8. Home XBox and Family Access or How I learned I should switch to Playstation

in XBoX Accessibility
    Home XBox and Family Access or How I learned I should switch to Playstation: So, just spent nearly 2-hours on human-to-human chat with Microsoft support. Here was the outline of my issue. In my house we have 6 Xboxs, 4 of the 6 are in shared areas (family room, media...
  9. should i switch platform

in XBoX on Consoles
    should i switch platform: i am getting fed up of not being able to play on my console my xbox one is in germany again being fixed for the third time forth if you includ the fact that the retailer swapped it once and my 360...
  10. Should External Hard Drives be switched off?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Should External Hard Drives be switched off?: I recently purchased an external hard drive to add memory space to my Xbox One, and I'm not sure whether I should turn it off when I turn my Xbox off. Currently I think it sits in idle mode when...