Xbox One X 4k to External drive records 1080P instead

Discus and support Xbox One X 4k to External drive records 1080P instead in XBoX Games and Apps to solve the problem; Greetings all, hopefully someone can help me figure out whats going on. I am attempting to get game capture from the built in recording options to... Discussion in 'XBoX Games and Apps' started by MobileRez, Jun 25, 2020.

1. MobileRez
    MobileRez Guest

Greetings all, hopefully someone can help me figure out whats going on.

I am attempting to get game capture from the built in recording options to 4k. I am using the external hard drive route and I'm using one of the external drives that came with the Sea of Thieves controller / hard drive bundle. I have made sure that in the
    recording section it is set to external location and the settings say 4k. I am also using a 4k display to ensure that the option for 4k recording displays ( I noticed that when connecting older 1080 p displays 4k recording is not an option.

When i look at the footage after testing many games, apps and screens, the footage is actually just 1080p. googling this issue is not giving me a fix for this. The only thing I can come up with is that after testing the display used. it does not support
    HDR 10 (but is HDR 8 compatible) and I noticed it shows up as 4k SHD not 4k UHD. I am not in any testing rings but my device is enrolled as a development platform. While i do not fully understand the difference between the two HDR 8 and HDR 10 formats from
    a coding stand point, this should not effect a recording for a 4k pixel resolution when recording, just the dynamic display range from the video especially if I am playing games in a 4k resolution.

any idea how to try and fix this?

:)

MobileRez, Jun 25, 2020
  2. sirbenski Win User

Xbox One X recording stops

Hi, ever since I bought my Xbox One X, I could only use the “record that” feature to record for up to 2 minutes in 1080p and 30 seconds for 4k.

I was able to record for up to an hour in 4k if I used a compatible external drive.

The issue I’m having is that after the last update, 4K recording stops after 1-2 seconds. 1080p works fine.

I have done all troubleshooting steps that the others provided in this thread and I am grateful for the help but the issue still persists.
  3. zCr1s Win User

unfortunately it is a problem that persists for a long time that Microsoft fails to resolve
  4. StuartATrueRed Win User

Microsoft is aware of 4K not working when creating recordings, and are working on a fix. For now, they want you to use 1080p or lower for gameplay recordings.
  5. MobileRez Win User

thanks I saw that QUEENMISFITS. however that's the post i used to get to where I am now. it did not solve the issue for me that I am facing and in that article it states

"On the Broadcast & capture screen, select "Game clip resolution" then select 4K SDR, or 4K HDR. 4K SDR will record videos in a standard colorspace, while 4K HDR will record them in High Dynamic Range,
    making them viewable in full detail only by those with HDR-compatible TVs."

So it explains a little about the difference between 4K SHD and UHD color space but not why the saved file is coming out as 1080p when my settings are clearly set to 4k.
  6. yakozaki Win User

This is known issue and xbox developers are unable to fix it for
    over a month now.

https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2020/06/24/xbox-insider-release-notes-alpha-2007-200623-0000/

https://gyazo.com/bd8a019445a75ba76ec88c63fe6a6c7d
Thema:

1. Xbox One X 4k to External drive records 1080P instead - Similar Threads - External drive records

2. Installation on external hard drive no longer working

in XBoX on Consoles
    Installation on external hard drive no longer working: I’ve had the external hard drive ever since I bought my Xbox One. Never had any issues installing or moving games to it until recently. Updates to games on external still seem to work but I can...
  3. Xbox recordings to external drive is laggy

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox recordings to external drive is laggy: I record to a seagate external drive and theres huge laggs here and there. Is there som problem with the drive or is it a know issue? im on a xbox series x and the caputes is in 4K. The laggs...
  4. Recording party chat in external hard drive clips

in XBoX on Consoles
    Recording party chat in external hard drive clips: I just want to know if theres any way to record party chat in clips recorded onto an external hard drive when playing a game fd66538f-2b05-4617-9a41-b738ece0f5be
  5. Awfully bad pixilated 1080p 60fps recordings in external drive with no audio at all (Xbox...

in XboX Insiders
    Awfully bad pixilated 1080p 60fps recordings in external drive with no audio at all (Xbox...: Can you please give us option to record games at 1080p 30fps in external drives even if the game is running at 60fps? I know 60fps demands more bit rate but the default bit rate seems to be...
  6. recording to an external NTFS drive.

in XBoX on Consoles
    recording to an external NTFS drive.: Got an external drive formatted to NTFS to record gameplay, but my Xbox one isn't allowing me to choose it as a capture location. When I plug it in the Xbox pops up with [external media storage...
  7. 外部ドライブへの録画ができない[Translation-I can't record to an external drive.]

in XBoX on Consoles
    外部ドライブへの録画ができない[Translation-I can't record to an external drive.]: 外部ドライブにゲー を録画していたのですが、最近になって1分ほどで強制的に録画が終了してしまいます。 外部ドライブの容量は1TB以上余裕があり、キャプチャ保存 所もちゃんと設定しています。 録画に使用していた外部ドライブ以外でも同じ現象が起き、本体の再起動を行っても問題は解決しませんでした。 同じような問題が起きた方で、解決した事例を知っている方がいれば教えてほしいです。...
  8. I’m not able to record on my External hard drive

in XBoX on Consoles
    I’m not able to record on my External hard drive: I’ve been using an external hard drive to record game clips for about a year now on my xbox one. Recently my xbox decided to stop recording to my external hard drive and I have no clue why. When I...
  9. Xbox One S - Recording Game Clip To External Hard Drive, No Mic Audio Recorded

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox One S - Recording Game Clip To External Hard Drive, No Mic Audio Recorded: Need a little help here. When recording game clips to my external drive, none of the mic audio is recorded. The Mic is checked in the Broadcast & Capture settings. Volume level is set higher than...
  10. Recording gameplay AND voice through Xbox One's DVR using external hard drive

in XBoX on Consoles
    Recording gameplay AND voice through Xbox One's DVR using external hard drive: I have set up an external hard drive on the Xbox One itself to capture 1 hour video clips and I was curious how to capture your own mic. I know you can record your mic through a recording on your...