Xbox one x adding latency

Discus and support Xbox one x adding latency in XboX Networking Hardware to solve the problem; Xbox one x adding latency i was running about 59 ms until afew days ago there was an update and now im at 97 ms. i work for my isp and all i know is... Discussion in 'XboX Networking Hardware' started by TwiztedDemise, Apr 5, 2018.

1. Xbox one x adding latency

i was running about 59 ms until afew days ago there was an update and now im at 97 ms. i work for my isp and all i know is that last update had something to do with it.

:)

TwiztedDemise, Apr 5, 2018
  2. Xbox One X Latency issue

Hello! I have an issue with the Xbox One X, it is wildy unstable! Usually I'm at 40-50ms, which is fine and I do not have the best internet, but as soon as I bought the xbox one x it has become an issue. On my original Xbox one I have no issues with latency,
    but on the xbox one x I do. Is this a hardware error, will it be fixed? should I return the xbox or....WHAT SHOULD I DO? It's a damned shame because I love the console, but the latency issue is killing me Xbox one x adding latency :(

I MaRTyCRuNK I, Apr 5, 2018
  3. ArizonaBoyd
    ArizonaBoyd Guest
    Arris Arris NVG599: Xbox One X - High Latency Problems

Arris (Modems/Gateways) Arris NVG599: Xbox One X - High Latency Problems
    Kinda blurry, but its not hard to see the digits in the Latency
    Xbox one x adding latency [​IMG]

ArizonaBoyd, Apr 5, 2018
  4. DanielWhaley
    DanielWhaley Guest

i was running about 59 ms until afew days ago there was an update and now im at 97 ms. i work for my isp and all i know is that last update had something to do with it.

DanielWhaley, May 24, 2018
  5. DanielWhaley Win User

6. XBF Brad A Win User

Latency on XBox One X

Hello Laurie,

Going to throw this out there as to it may be a cause. Have you just tried getting a different router like an upgrade. Previously at my household we were running with a router that would not support more than one Xbox and PC at the same time. Just trying
    different things seeing how you have done a lot of troubleshooting already. If you have tried one I am sorry and I will keep looking for help. Have noticed myself though lately that connection to Xbox servers has been little slower than usual lately.

Thanks,

Brad
  7. HyperVenom523 Win User

Latency on XBox One X

Could be ypu ISP mine runs perfect on google fiber...
  8. Laurierayr56 Win User

Latency on XBox One X

First I was told I did not need port forwarding then others say you do BUT found no difference since I set it all up some time ago. (Yes Upnp is only really required). Funny how the high latency is only shown on the xbox console network stats yet all my
    computers etc. show a very low under 20 ms (even pinging Bungie in the USA is under 20 - I line in Australia).

The disconnection and changing the addresses is an issue, especially in mid game on line. My ISP has no idea...
  9. Arminator Win User

Latency on XBox One X

What a silly comment ... The router allocates and dictates a devices static IP address not the other way around ... If you have a router that does not allow the setting of a static address for a device then you use the settings on the console BUT this will
    cause an issue if another device has taken and using that IP address whilst the xbox is not connected if it is not set statically at the router. Setting a Static IP at the router prevents other devices from using that IP address...

[...]

AND your comment "These ports must be open for Xbox Live to work"... is incorrect ... xbox live still works without these being set... it only needs to be set if you can not set an open NAT type
    and have issues connecting. AND UPnp opens ports providing it is set to on in the router, and you only need to use port forwarding if you cannot connect at all...

[...]

My Xbox is showing 120 ms plus latency when other devices connected to the same router are 10-20ms. This indicates a connection issue with the xbox live server ... it still connects and works BUT it lags. No technical sites I have messaged can answer this
    and say the latency should be the same for all connected devices...

[...

]Open NAT is really only relevant if you want to host multiplayer games... (mine is open anyhow)

[...]

As you can see I have looked at all the issues and done hundreds of searches and looked at hardware issues, settings issues, cheaters including DDoS and as this connection issue are very random and inconsistent to find what is causing this is near on impossible.
    I'm sorry to hear you have networking trouble.

While a lot of things you say are more or less correct, as a networking engineer I'll have to correct you on some finer details, which might help you to troubleshoot your networking issues a bit better.

First of all the static IP thing. You CAN set the static IP on your device instead of your router, as long as you choose an IP address that is outside the scope of your router's DHCP Pool. Most routers have specific ranges reserved that you can use for static
    IPs. For example my router uses IP addresses from the range 20-200 for DHCP leases, so I can use 2-10 and 201-254 as static IPs on my devices without problems.

But you're correct, reserving a static IP in your router for a particular device is the most elegant solution (not the only possible). So the suggestion from XBF Javier is not "silly".

As for "you need to use port forwarding if you can't connect at all": As long as you use "active" connections that are initiated from your console to Xbox Live, you don't need port forwarding.

The Xbox console will connect perfectly fine without any UPnP and Port Forwarding (i.e. a strict NAT), and you are able to download games, use the Edge browser to surf the internet etc. as these are connections that are initially "outbound" from your console
    and are expecting a response from that outbound connection (e.g. your Xbox console asks: "Router, go fetch me the Wikipedia website" and the router will know if Wikipedia responds, to forward the data back to the Xbox. It automatically opened a port to manage
    the response and route it back to the Xbox, without any UPnP or Port Forwarding trickery).

However as soon as you use Peer to Peer applications like Party Chat, Multiplayer games and the likes, the router will get incoming data from "unknown" peers (i.e. other consoles that want to join your party or online match), without your console requesting
    a connection to the other consoles first.

Therefore you need to tell the router through manual port forwarding (or if UPnP is supported, the console will do it for you) that incoming data on certain ports has to be routed to the Xbox console.

If done correctly, the Xbox will detect that as an "open" NAT.

While it is possible to combine peers with an open NAT to allow players with a strict or moderate NAT to participate in some matches, an open NAT is to be preferred.

As for the Latency issue:

It seems that the Xbox console always does a speed-test to servers in or near Seattle in the network settings. If I use my PC to go to the website https://speedtest.net and simply start a speed test, the website detects my public IP address, and geo-locates
    the closest Speedtest server in my vicinity, and then begins the speed test.

Since I'm in Germany, and the nearest Speedtest Server is in Frankfurt, I also get latencys of 10-20 milliseconds for my PC, while the Xbox shows me a Ping Latency of 180 millseconds.

However, if I manually choose a Speedtest Server that is near Seattle, my PC also gets a Ping latency of around 180 milliseconds, just like the Xbox.

In case a person with non-technical background is confused about the Latency issue, a Ping test works like this:

You take a stopwatch, and a person that is a good runner. You give him a parcel and tell him: "Go run to the store down the street, and have this parcel stamped, then return to me."

As soon as the person runs off with the parcel, you start the stop watch, and wait for his return. After a few minutes (depending how far "down the street" the store is), the person returns with the stamp on the parcel, and you stop the watch.

Now you tell the person: "Go run to the Microsoft Store in Seattle, Washington, USA, get the parcel stamped and return here". The person will then run off out of your house in Australia, run to the nearest international airport, climb into the airplane,
    fly to the USA, transit to Seattle, find the Microsoft Store, get the parcel stamped, run back to the airport, fly back to Australia, run back to your house, and after a few days, will arrive at your door with the stamp on it.

It would be silly to complain, that getting the stamp from the Microsoft Store took several days, while the stamp from the store down the road only lasted a few minutes.

So while the Xbox shows you a higher latency, you can't compare that to the actual latency in games.

What if you connect to a person in "Farawayistan" on the other side of the globe that only has a dial up internet connection?

Latency is mostly influenced by the distance between your console and the host of the game you're connecting to.

As for the ISP telling you it's Microsoft's fault:

Some Internet Providers (secretly) throttle connections to know high bandwidth applications. For example Netflix, YouTube and the likes, in order to control their costs. They don't want people to pull "unlimited" Gigabytes through their network.

So they actively slow you down, without telling you. See this
    story about Comcast in the USA artificially throttling Netflix traffic

Maybe your ISP does actively throttle your internet speed, but isn't telling you?
Thema:

1. Xbox one x adding latency - Similar Threads - adding latency

2. Minecraft won’t load on iOS after adding my sons Microsoft account

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Minecraft won’t load on iOS after adding my sons Microsoft account: Hi there My son has had minecraft on his ipad for a while now, and i have just got it for my iphone so that we can play together. It has been working fine until today when i created a microsoft...
  3. What things are added when you switch from Delta to skip ahead?

in XboX Insiders
    What things are added when you switch from Delta to skip ahead?: So far, the info box at the bottom is more condensed and the guide in the mini Xbox menu is at the top. submitted by /u/HowDoIBlox [link] [comments]
  4. added gift card to wrong microft account

in XBoX on Consoles
    added gift card to wrong microft account: I added an xbox gift card from my mother in law to my microsoft account instead of the one I have set up for my kids. Is there anyway I can correct this? They want to be able to buy skins for...
  5. Trasferimento account xbox con gmail ad account Outlook (Transfer Xbox account with gmail...

in XBoX on Consoles
    Trasferimento account xbox con gmail ad account Outlook (Transfer Xbox account with gmail...: Salve io vorrei abbandonare l email gmail e passare tutto il contenuto(acquisti,abbonamenti,dispositivi ecc) al mio account outlook che uso su pc. È possibile? Non vorrei più utilizzare gmail...
  6. Adding a new payment option.

in XBoX on Consoles
    Adding a new payment option.: Hello, I have a problem with adding the phone payment option. When I enter my orange number it is written that it is incorrect. And it is correct because I entered 10 times correctly. I also tried...
  7. adding facebook to whitelist to Microsoft Xbox

in XBoX on Windows
    adding facebook to whitelist to Microsoft Xbox: Been trying since i got this game and can't get connected to facebook keeps wanting me to add it to a whitelist and can't seam to find were i need to go for it can someone please help me?...
  8. Adding a gamertag to the Xbox app

in XBoX on Mobile
    Adding a gamertag to the Xbox app: I am getting my youngest son an xbox for Christmas and I was curious with the app, can I add his gamertag so I can view both his and his brother's account? I want to monitor both from the same...
  9. Adding a new game to the xbox store

in XBoX Sales and Promo
    Adding a new game to the xbox store: I have seen a video on a game that is early pregame alpha the video is on YouTube by anthomnia and the game is Day Of Dragons I don't know the developer but he started it as a small project with...
  10. Adding an account after factory reset

in XBoX on Consoles
    Adding an account after factory reset: My son did a factory reset on his Xbox One because he was having issues with games freezing up and communication issues. Now he can't add his account back in. He has done all of the different...