Xbox One X Media Player and Film & TV

Discus and support Xbox One X Media Player and Film & TV in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; I have a Seagate 4Tb USB 3.0 External HDD connected to my Xbox One X for media files (mp4 and MKV files). This is seen as 3.6Tb total space by the... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by GaryHicks42, Aug 24, 2018.

1. GaryHicks42
    GaryHicks42 Guest

I have a Seagate 4Tb USB 3.0 External HDD connected to my Xbox One X for media files (mp4 and MKV files).

This is seen as 3.6Tb total space by the Xbox One X and has 1.3Tb free space. This is a brand new drive < 2 weeks old. When the external drive is plugged into my laptop, it is possible to play any and all of the MP$ and MKV files through the Windows 10 Film
    & TV app. It is also possible to connect this app, via Wi-Fi, to my Xbox One X and for the videos to then be played on the TV via the Xbox One X.

When, however, I connect the hard drive directly to the Xbox One X a large number of the videos are not playable and result in the following error being displayed:

Can't play.

Please try again. If the problem continues, visit www.xbox.com/support to check for guidance.

0xc00d11cd (0x80070001)

To say this is exceptionally annoying is an understatement. I have searched on both Xbox.com and through Bing.com - there is absolutely no information regarding this error available.

My Xbox One X is enrolled within the Xbox Insider Program and, as of the time of writing this, is running build 413.1807.26001.70 that was.
    My console received the latest OS update on 24/08/2018 at 04:44 GMT. I am inclined to believe that this error is linked to the Xbox Insider Program builds as I have absolutely no recollection of ever seeing this error prior to enrolling my console
    within the Xbox Insider Program, some 10 months ago.

I have logged this as an issue with multiple builds of the Xbox OS since I first saw it. I logged it with a Chat Agent when I had an issue with the Xbox One X even seeing this new drive a couple of weeks ago. Thus far, I have not even had the courtesy of
    a response or even acknowledgement that this is an issue.

I fully understand that building and testing new software can be an exceptionally complex task and that priorities have to be set as logged issues are triaged to ensure that the most pressing issues are resolved in a timely fashion. I do find it staggering
    and bordering on incompetent as well as a horrendous failure of customer support that nobody has bothered to respond (at the very least) to the Chat session in which I raised this (once again) as an issue and was advised that a response would be forthcoming.

I actually enjoy testing the Xbox OS for Microsoft and am more than happy to continue to do so. I do, however, request that some (any) information regarding this specific error be provided and (if possible/applicable) what, if anything, is scheduled (or
    backlogged) to resolve this issue.

As I mentioned, I fully realise that this is in all probability a minor issue within the Xbox ecosystem - and that perhaps it is infact expected behaviour in certain circumstances - all I ask right now is some kind of acknowledgement and an explanation of
    what the error codes actually mean.

:)

GaryHicks42, Aug 24, 2018
  2. RyanMcDonald
    RyanMcDonald Guest
    Media Player Device Discovery Issue

I had the same issue (including all the *sometimes* fixed it) but I SEEM to have resolved it (at least my Xbox One X has had a couple of restarts and still appears to find my server.

I had both my NAS (running a Twonky server) and my Xbox One X hard wired directly into the router - Xbox Films and TV app couldn't find the server (though the Films and TV app on my Windows 10 laptop had no such issue).

Now you're comment about the Xbox One X being hardwired (and the S being wireless) got me to thinking: as the Xbox is hard wired into the router I've never run the wireless set-up on my Xbox - may be worth a shot. This actually seems to have fixed it for
    me (again at least for the time being).

I'll post again if it drops the server discovery but hopefully this has sorted it!

Cheers!

RyanMcDonald, Aug 24, 2018
  3. Tallsoldier
    Tallsoldier Guest
    ERROR 0x8007139f help

I am getting the same error when trying to start Films & TV. I have uninstalled and installed numerous times with no success on both the internal and external drives.

Works ok on my XBOX One X but not my new XBOX One X

Tallsoldier, Aug 24, 2018
  4. Arminator
    Arminator Guest

Just in case the 3.6Tb is also an issue for you, be aware that the 4TB on the packaging are "marketing" TB, which are calculated with 1000GB, whereas "real" TB are calculated with 1024GB.

So
    4 marketing "Terabyte" are actually 3.6 Tebibyte
    , and therefore the size displayed is correct.

As for the videos not playing:

It would help immensely, if you could provide information about the video and audio codecs that were used for your MKV's and MP4s.

For example, while the Xbox One supports Dolby Athmos in the BluRay app, the codecs for Dolby Athmos are not available to the Film&TV app on the console, whereas on the PC you can install codec packs, that make different video and audio codecs available
    to that app.

So when you file feedback through the Feedback app available to you as an Insider, please provide exact information with how the video is encoded, and what sound format is used.

Be aware, that MKV is not a format itself, but only a container that can bundle a variety of video and audio codecs, which are not all supported by the Film and TV app on your Xbox console, as you can't install external codecs yourself like you can on the
    PC.

Arminator, Aug 25, 2018
  5. GaryHicks42
    GaryHicks42 Guest
    Thanks for your reply.

There are two issues not addressed in your answer.

1. What does the error code mean?
    2. Why does this affect both MP3 and MKV files?

GaryHicks42, Aug 25, 2018
  6. Arminator
    Arminator Guest
    1. My assumption is, that either the console doesn't have the fitting codecs for the media file, or after searching for this particular error, that the Media Player app has issues with drives larger than 2TB.

In order to resolve the codec question, it would help if you knew the audio and video codec used on the MKV or MP4 file (or did you mean MP3 audio-only file in your first original post)?

2. It depends on wether your original post or this post has a typo.

If your first post is correct, and you have issues with MP4 (four) and MKV, then know that both filetypes are container files for a video and audio stream of varying codec formats.

For example, you could have a MKV consisting of a MPEG2 Video stream and Ogg Vorbis audio compression. Or the MP4 could be a H.264 Video stream and a AAC encoded audio track.

The Xbox One only has limited support for various audio and video codec combinations.

If your second post is correct, and you have issues with MP3 (three) audio files (that should work 100%), then I'd assume the issue is, that the console's Film & TV app can't work with drives larger than 2TB, as people with similar issues report that 2TB
    hard drives with MBA work, whereas GPT partitioned discs seem to cause this error with disks beyond the 2TB limit.

Arminator, Aug 26, 2018
  7. GaryHicks42
    GaryHicks42 Guest
    Thanks for your reply.

From what I am seeing the issue is almost certainly that the Xbox One series have issues with external drives that are >2Tb.

I have reached this conclusion because I identified a few duplicate files on the drive, connected the drive to my Windows 10 laptop and removed the duplicates. When the drive was once again connected to the Xbox One X, a few of the files that were previously
    inaccessible/unplayable, have now become accessible/playable.

It was my understanding that the Xbox One series were able to address up to 16Tb of combined external storage space. This does not appear to be the case when the drive is formatted as NTFS. With the NTFS format it appears that the maximum drive space is
    2Tb; I have an identical make and model HDD (although 8Tb in size) that is formatted for Games Storage and the Xbox One X has no problems with this drive.

Ergo, the issue must (logically) be that the Xbox One series of consoles have an issue with addressing more than 2Tb of storage space that is not formatted to the propitiatory Xbox games storage format.

It is not an issue with the file formats themselves, this is a blind alley. The issue is with the amount of external HDD space that the Xbox One series of consoles may address. It would seem reasonable to assume that the error codes (0xc00d11cd (0x80070001))
    refer to the NTFS partition being to big for the Xbox OS to effectively address, but as there is no data from Microsoft to support this, it remains a guess.

What I would like now is a definitive response regarding the actual meaning of the 0xc00d11cd (0x80070001) error codes, not a guess as to what it seems likely to mean.

Cheers.

GaryHicks42, Nov 3, 2018
  8. GaryHicks42 Win User

Thanks for your reply.

From what I am seeing the issue is almost certainly that the Xbox One series have issues with external drives that are >2Tb.

I have reached this conclusion because I identified a few duplicate files on the drive, connected the drive to my Windows 10 laptop and removed the duplicates. When the drive was once again connected to the Xbox One X, a few of the files that were previously
    inaccessible/unplayable, have now become accessible/playable.

It was my understanding that the Xbox One series were able to address up to 16Tb of combined external storage space. This does not appear to be the case when the drive is formatted as NTFS. With the NTFS format it appears that the maximum drive space is
    2Tb; I have an identical make and model HDD (although 8Tb in size) that is formatted for Games Storage and the Xbox One X has no problems with this drive.

Ergo, the issue must (logically) be that the Xbox One series of consoles have an issue with addressing more than 2Tb of storage space that is not formatted to the propitiatory Xbox games storage format.

It is not an issue with the file formats themselves, this is a blind alley. The issue is with the amount of external HDD space that the Xbox One series of consoles may address. It would seem reasonable to assume that the error codes (0xc00d11cd (0x80070001))
    refer to the NTFS partition being to big for the Xbox OS to effectively address, but as there is no data from Microsoft to support this, it remains a guess.

What I would like now is a definitive response regarding the actual meaning of the 0xc00d11cd (0x80070001) error codes, not a guess as to what it seems likely to mean.

Cheers.
  9. Arminator Win User

I have a Seagate 4Tb USB 3.0 External HDD connected to my Xbox One X for media files (mp4 and MKV files).

This is seen as 3.6Tb total space by the Xbox One X and has 1.3Tb free space. This is a brand new drive < 2 weeks old. When the external drive is plugged into my laptop, it is possible to play any and all of the MP$ and MKV files through the Windows 10 Film
    & TV app. It is also possible to connect this app, via Wi-Fi, to my Xbox One X and for the videos to then be played on the TV via the Xbox One X.

When, however, I connect the hard drive directly to the Xbox One X a large number of the videos are not playable and result in the following error being displayed:

Can't play.

Please try again. If the problem continues, visit www.xbox.com/support to check for guidance.

0xc00d11cd (0x80070001)

Just in case the 3.6Tb is also an issue for you, be aware that the 4TB on the packaging are "marketing" TB, which are calculated with 1000GB, whereas "real" TB are calculated with 1024GB.

So
    4 marketing "Terabyte" are actually 3.6 Tebibyte
    , and therefore the size displayed is correct.

As for the videos not playing:

It would help immensely, if you could provide information about the video and audio codecs that were used for your MKV's and MP4s.

For example, while the Xbox One supports Dolby Athmos in the BluRay app, the codecs for Dolby Athmos are not available to the Film&TV app on the console, whereas on the PC you can install codec packs, that make different video and audio codecs available
    to that app.

So when you file feedback through the Feedback app available to you as an Insider, please provide exact information with how the video is encoded, and what sound format is used.

Be aware, that MKV is not a format itself, but only a container that can bundle a variety of video and audio codecs, which are not all supported by the Film and TV app on your Xbox console, as you can't install external codecs yourself like you can on the
    PC.
  10. Arminator Win User

1. My assumption is, that either the console doesn't have the fitting codecs for the media file, or after searching for this particular error, that the Media Player app has issues with drives larger than 2TB.

In order to resolve the codec question, it would help if you knew the audio and video codec used on the MKV or MP4 file (or did you mean MP3 audio-only file in your first original post)?

2. It depends on wether your original post or this post has a typo.

If your first post is correct, and you have issues with MP4 (four) and MKV, then know that both filetypes are container files for a video and audio stream of varying codec formats.

For example, you could have a MKV consisting of a MPEG2 Video stream and Ogg Vorbis audio compression. Or the MP4 could be a H.264 Video stream and a AAC encoded audio track.

The Xbox One only has limited support for various audio and video codec combinations.

If your second post is correct, and you have issues with MP3 (three) audio files (that should work 100%), then I'd assume the issue is, that the console's Film & TV app can't work with drives larger than 2TB, as people with similar issues report that 2TB
    hard drives with MBA work, whereas GPT partitioned discs seem to cause this error with disks beyond the 2TB limit.
  11. GaryHicks42 Win User

Thanks for your reply.

There are two issues not addressed in your answer.

12. Csr909 Win User

september update rolling out

I read about the miniguide here:
    www.theverge.com/.../xbox-one-media-player-september-update

"The update includes a number of improvements focused at the TV integration on the Xbox One, including a boot to TV option, live TV mini guide, and an expansion of Microsoft’s OneGuide TV guide data to Brazil, Mexico, Austria, and Ireland."
Thema:

1. Xbox One X Media Player and Film & TV - Similar Threads - Media Player Film

2. Media Player

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Media Player: Start media player Find my movie server and open the folder, find the movie thumb nail that I want to watch. This I've done many times, but now I get the error: 0xc00d11cd (0x80004003) Was...
  3. Streaming from Windows Media Player to my Xbox 1 through my network.

in XBoX on Consoles
    Streaming from Windows Media Player to my Xbox 1 through my network.: I have been streaming my Music Collection from my PC to my Xbox 1, I have certain folders that do not show up on the xbox. This most recent folder contains MP3's is that whats causing this, or do...
  4. Xbox one media player

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Xbox one media player: Hey So prior to yesterday I was able to stream video files from my networked PC to my t.v. via the Xbox one media player. Yesterday and still today, after resetting everything and all that it...
  5. Xbox One Media Player Not Showing Subtitles When Enabled

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Xbox One Media Player Not Showing Subtitles When Enabled: I have loaded a MKV file with a SRT file, The player plays the file then when I go to enable the SRT file, the subtitles do not show at all. e45a0645-72a6-4b40-98a4-3e33a1d8d940
  6. Media Player with Watch History ?

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Media Player with Watch History ?: Been using an iPad to watch movies and sync with iTunes which has last played history. I shall be moving to Linux so iTunes is not the best option, also using the Xbox One S to watch movies now so...
  7. External storage over 2TB - no files found (Media Player)

in XBoX on Consoles
    External storage over 2TB - no files found (Media Player): Wondering if anyone has also seen this. I have an 8TB external drive (new WD MyBook) connected to my Xbox One, detected with no problems and set up as a media drive by the Xbox. The drive contains...
  8. Media Player Device Discovery Issue

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Media Player Device Discovery Issue: Split from this thread. I had the same issue (including all the *sometimes* fixed it) but I SEEM to have resolved it (at least my Xbox One X has had a couple of restarts and still appears to...
  9. How to view slideshow from media player of network files without cropping each photo - HELP!

in XBoX Games and Apps
    How to view slideshow from media player of network files without cropping each photo - HELP!: HELLO - should be simple but I can find nothing on the internet. I have my Xbox One S networked. Through media player I can see and play most media files that are on my computer via my XBOX to...
  10. Media Player app, stops playing every 20 minutes. I tried to play film from HDD storage.

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Media Player app, stops playing every 20 minutes. I tried to play film from HDD storage.: Media Player app, stops playing every 20 minutes. I tried to play film from HDD storage. What is the problem? 292ecfc9-51a0-4faf-947d-e894561519cd