Xbox one x not displaying 4K HDR

Discus and support Xbox one x not displaying 4K HDR in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; Hi, I recently purchased a new TCL 4K HDR TV. When I connect my Xbox one x directly to the TV I can only get a maximum resolution of 1440p, even though... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by kris.amietamiet, Oct 6, 2019.

1. Xbox one x not displaying 4K HDR

Hi, I recently purchased a new TCL 4K HDR TV. When I connect my Xbox one x directly to the TV I can only get a maximum resolution of 1440p, even though my TV definitely is capable of 4K. If I enable HDMI 2.0 on the TV to enable 4K I get no image, even
    when I set the Xbox settings to 4K. Regardless of what settings I use I can only get 1440p, not 4K, disappointing as this is why I updated my TV.

TCL want to exchange the TV as it may be faulty, I think it may be something more simple? I tried different ports, HDMI cables, hard resets and everything I can find online, still no 4K, ahggggr!

:)

kris.amietamiet, Oct 6, 2019
  2. Internet Expert Win User

XBOX ONE X HDR look dark and blurry with "TCL 55P605" TV ?

3. Obsessive Power Win User

No 4K without HDR (xbox one x)

you need hdr for 4k output

Actually, you don't.

Uhd and hdr are required for 4k output

You need UHD, in the sense that you need the TV to support 3840 x 2160 resolution, but you don't need HDR enabled to reach 4K. UHD 4K is the amount of screen resolution available measured in pixels, HDR is the ability of the TV or monitor to display more
    natural colours.

Note that the Xbox One S can do HDR in games that support such a feature, but regardless of what resolution you set, all games max out at 1080P internally. If the display is 4K, it will remain in 4K, but games will only be upscaled. Only the Xbox One X
    can play Enhanced titles in 4K natively.

You should be able to disable HDR, how you disable it depends entirely on your TV. Disabling HDR via the TV settings should not disable 4K screen resolution. Indeed, some Xbox One games do not support HDR, Fallout 4 on the One X can play in 4K for instance,
    but it does not support (or indeed have an option for) HDR.

On my Sony Bravia Android based TV, I had to go to the main settings and enable HDR functionality. Even then, I had to set the HDR setting to 'Auto' on the HDMI port I have my console connected to. If you have HDR set to 'On' all of the time, non HDR games
    will display the wrong colours, look oversaturated. With 'Auto' enabled, HDR will only operate when it detects an HDR supported game. This may not be a feature of your display however.

What make and model is your TV?
  4. Internet Expert Win User

HDR dark dull and washed out

I assume you are using an Xbox One S/X, which supports 4K/HDR.

Some 4K TV's only display 4K/HDR through one HDMI port. Is this the case with yours? You can also check your TV settings to make sure 4K(UHD)/HDR/HDMI 2.0 is enabled over the HDMI port. Verify that HDR is enabled in your Xbox display settings (set Color
    depth to 10-bit, ensure HDR is enabled in the advanced settings).

Since the PS4 Pro seems to be getting HDR color over one of your HDMI ports, what happens if you were to swap it with your Xbox? Do you get your HDR colors back?
  5. Mr Crynox Win User

1080P HDR support

Hi,

Only the Xbox One S and the One X support HDR. HDR isn't linked to resolution, so, technically, HDR can work at 1080P. However, in the interest of not confusing consumers, Microsoft have locked HDR to 4K displays only, which is mostly industry standard
    anyway. I'm pretty sure even 1440P doesn't support HDR on One S or One X either.
    I understand that HDR is not related to resolution and that most 1080P displays that do support it are less common that 4K displays, but there are definitely models that do, mine included.

I can play PS4 games on 1080P with HDR but not XB1 games.. I don't understand why MS isn't supporting HDR alongside 1080P ?
  6. Lakn Win User

Epson 5040UB : Your TV setup doesn't support HDR10 for gaming. Games won't be shown in HDR

Yep. I think there will be a lot of dissapointed people when they find out their 4K HDR TV won't play Xbox One 4K games because they don't have a full 18Gig HDMI pipe.

The requirement from the X to have 4K @60 and 30 Bits just to play a 4K game seems off. I can see where the bandwidth requirement would be there for 4K @60 with HDR, but I'd like to play the game in either 4K without HDR or 1080P with HDR but the current
    setup on the X (and S) will not let you do this.

Odd thing is that I played Horizons:Zero Dawn on my PS4 Pro and the first thing it did was tell me I could have either 4K or HDR but not both. I chose HDR and the game looks fantastic. I can't believe the XBOX One X won't do this.

So, if you have a display that does 4K@ 24 with HDR then the XBOX One X is just a nice game machine that will play videos in HDR for you but none of the UHD features are available to you for gaming.

Microsoft, surely you can change this and allow HDR in 1080P?
Thema:

Xbox one x not displaying 4K HDR

1. Xbox one x not displaying 4K HDR - Similar Threads - displaying HDR

2. Best xbox 360 display settings with hdmi cable for the 4k hdr lg tv?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Best xbox 360 display settings with hdmi cable for the 4k hdr lg tv?: I buy yesterday the used xbox 360 6d55ac67-b850-476c-95af-f08c744a6aa7
  3. Internal HDR Screenshots not uploading/displaying in HDR on Xbox feed/club.

in XBoX on Consoles
    Internal HDR Screenshots not uploading/displaying in HDR on Xbox feed/club.: What is the point of taking an HDR screenshot that inadvertently reverts to an SDR image colour palette when viewed via xbox feed or club? -it seems impractical/nonsensical. Yes, 'it is possible'...
  4. Xbox One X Blu-ray: HDR will not display during 4K movie playback

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Xbox One X Blu-ray: HDR will not display during 4K movie playback: Issue: Any 4K movie played on Xbox One X Blu-ray app shows washed out colors in movie and on Xbox Dashboard menu during playback Currently having an issue with the Blu-ray app and HDR colors for...
  5. Xbox one x 4k HDR Display

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Xbox one x 4k HDR Display: I need some setting up my Xbox one X to my Sony Tv and Receiver. I have Sony XBR-55X800E with is 4K HDR and I have Sony STR-DH770 AV receiver. When i plug in my xbox direct to Tv i get all green...
  6. HDR games broken, psychadelic display on xbox one x

in XBoX on Consoles
    HDR games broken, psychadelic display on xbox one x: I've been using my new xbox one x for 11 days, playing Call of Duty II on new UHD HDR TV with no problem. This morning, when I started COD, the screen distorted into psychadelic colors like a bad...
  7. Xbox One S - HDR Display Issues Green Dots lines

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox One S - HDR Display Issues Green Dots lines: Hi, I have Display issues with my XBOX ONE S when trying to play BF1 in HDR I'm getting Green Dots I can see the image behind the Dots. I am using a correct HDMI which supports HDR and I've tried...
  8. Xbox one X horrible HDR video display ( both 4K blu-ray and Netflix)

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox one X horrible HDR video display ( both 4K blu-ray and Netflix): Hi, I had a wonderful display with my Xbox one S for 4K and HDR movies on OLED screen, but now with the Xbox One X, black level are so low in HDR mode display that its almost impossible to watch...
  9. My LG UF840V is correctly set up as 4K UHD in the one X (no HDR)but the games are displayed at ...

in XBoX on Consoles
    My LG UF840V is correctly set up as 4K UHD in the one X (no HDR)but the games are displayed at ...: [img] I guess the problem why the console is set up at 4K but the games are not displayed at 4K is because the panel of my tv is 8-bit depth color and in the requirements it says 10 bits, because...
  10. XBOX ONE S DISPLAY AND HDR PROBLEMS

in XBoX on Consoles
    XBOX ONE S DISPLAY AND HDR PROBLEMS: "I have a LG TV Model 49UF6430 and I get 4K and have HDMI Ultra HD DEEP COLOR which is HDR10 and on my Xbox one S settings I can get TV in 4K UHD at 60HZ but will not let me Check mark the HDR but...