Xbox Series S/X internal SSD manual upgrades (plus bigger more affordable expansion cards?)

Discus and support Xbox Series S/X internal SSD manual upgrades (plus bigger more affordable expansion cards?) in XboX Insiders to solve the problem; Please consider releasing a feature for manually replacing and formatting the 2230 M.2 SSD inside the Xbox Series S/X consoles to upgrade read/write... Discussion in 'XboX Insiders' started by /u/StrayanDoc, Sep 26, 2021.

1. Xbox Series S/X internal SSD manual upgrades (plus bigger more affordable expansion cards?)

Please consider releasing a feature for manually replacing and formatting the 2230 M.2 SSD inside the Xbox Series S/X consoles to upgrade read/write speeds and overall storage space. Obviously this feature won't be coming any time soon because 2230 SSDs aren't widely available yet, so please collaborate with Western Digital/other companies to release 2230 SSDs to the public.

I appreciate the quick simple design of the plug-in expansion card, but it is very expensive, only offers 1TB, and it awkwardly sticks out the back of the console.

It took you guys awhile but you eventually made it possible to change the Xbox One internal hard drives to other drives and SATA SSDs with a simple Offline System Update, so I'm hoping something similar will be possible for the XSX/S.

The last thing I want to do is bend the knee to Snoy, but they did have a good idea in mind with the PS5 SSD expansion slot that suits M.2 SSDs at current sizes:
    https://www.playstation.com/en-au/support/hardware/ps5-install-m2-ssd/

submitted by /u/StrayanDoc
    [link] [comments]

/u/StrayanDoc, Sep 26, 2021
  2. ROBIN H 25 Win User

Pre download Xbox Series X games

Not really...

Xbox Series X games / upgrades / updates has to be installed onto the Series X internal or expansion card SSD,

You can have Xbox One games on your external hard drive that will get an Series X upgrade but the games will need to be transferred to the Series X and then the Series X upgrade will need to be downloaded onto the Series X SSD,

As an example...

I have Marvel Avengers on my external hard drive that will get the Series X upgrade and I will transfer the game over to the Series X SSD ready to download and update the game to the Series X version when available.
  3. Smwutches Win User

External Storage for Xbox One and Xbox S

You can use a hard drive that is USB 3.0 or 3.1 It doesn't have to be an SSD. I have a regular HDD myself and it works fine.

On the Series S/X, Series S/X games and upgraded One games will only run from the internal drive or the Seagate Expansion Card. You can still store the games on a USB storage device and move it to the internal to play if needed.
  4. Obsessive Power Win User

Copy games/savegames to Series S

One thing I personally cannot say for certain is if those games loading from the external hard drive will run the same way they would if they were installed straight onto the console...
    If you load games on the Series X or S from an external hard drive they will load the same as they do on a regular Xbox One. There won't be any performance issues. Games installed on a external SSD (SATA SSD not the Expansion Card) will load faster then
    they would before due to the much faster I/O on the Series X/S.

If you move your games to either the internal storage or the optional Expansion card, you will see significant loading speed improvements. They'll be massive on a game such as Odyssey. Fast traveling in 5 seconds rather than 40 on a regular Xbox One or One
    X!

To use the Series X/S 'Quick Resume' on Xbox One or other BC games will require said games to be installed internally or to the Expansion Card. Series X/S games can only be installed on the Internal or Expansion card.
  5. Obsessive Power Win User

Can you use external hard drives on xbox series s

Hi,

Series X|S optimised games can only run on either the internal storage or expansion card. You can 'store' Series X|S on a USB hard drive/SSD for later but you can't play them from these drives as they're not fast enough.

Xbox One games that are not optimised for Series X|S can be run from USB Storage.
  6. ROBIN H 25 Win User

Xbox series s/x storage

You can still use external HDD for your Xbox/Xbox 360/Xbox One games but you can't play Series X/S games from them,

Series X/S games can only be played from the internal or external storage card,

with game file size's getting bigger, that 1Tb internal NVMe SSD is going fill up quick.
Thema:

Xbox Series S/X internal SSD manual upgrades (plus bigger more affordable expansion cards?)

1. Xbox Series S/X internal SSD manual upgrades (plus bigger more affordable expansion cards?) - Similar Threads - Series internal SSD

2. Xbox Series S Internal Power Supply Replacement

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox Series S Internal Power Supply Replacement: So my Series S console's power supply got fried after a direct lightning strike on our house a couple of weeks ago. Unfortunately, Microsoft does not have any official vendors in Pakistan where I...
  3. I am unable to Manage any games on my Series X internal SSD or external USB drive.

in XBoX on Consoles
    I am unable to Manage any games on my Series X internal SSD or external USB drive.: I am unable to Manage any games on my Series X internal SSD or external USB drive. When I select a game and then choose 'Manage Game and add-ons' the 'Manage GameName' screen opens but there is a...
  4. Series X internal storage captures missing

in XBoX on Consoles
    Series X internal storage captures missing: Hi xbox community, I have a Series X and I am and avid fan of virtual photography. Just now I noticed dozens of screenshits from the past months missing from my internal storage.I have at keast...
  5. Series x internal storage

in XBoX on Consoles
    Series x internal storage: So if i add up all my games i have about 16 total downloaded , when i add up how much space it says they take up it leaves me around 5-8 gb more than what i have avalible acording to the system...
  6. my xbox series X says I need to create internal storage sapce but I have 667GB free

in XBoX on Consoles
    my xbox series X says I need to create internal storage sapce but I have 667GB free: My console wont update AC Valhalla or Bless Unleashed which have updates today of 813mb and 110mb respectively. It keeps asking me to create space on the internal drive even tough I have 667GB...
  7. Xbox Series X Missing Space on Internal SSD.

in XboX Insiders
    Xbox Series X Missing Space on Internal SSD.: On my Xbox Series X, I am suddenly losing space on my internal SSD. All of my games are installed to External Storages, but I have 8GB of Usable Space being taken up by something. I initially...
  8. Xbox Series X internal SSD acting weird

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox Series X internal SSD acting weird: Hi guys, so I got an xbox series x day one here in Brazil, everything was working fine since 11/11 until yesterday when I was installing Gears 5 from game pass, sunddenly it got stuck at 98%, I...
  9. Error 0x87e00002 when tried to transfer a game from Series X Internal SSD to external HDD

in XBoX on Consoles
    Error 0x87e00002 when tried to transfer a game from Series X Internal SSD to external HDD: Hi, With the limited space available on Xbox Series X SSD, I wanted to transfer several of my biggest games that I don't play at the moment to my Seagate external HDD but always had the same...
  10. Xbox Series X Enhanced Games Update to Internal SSD Instead of Install Location

in XboX Insiders
    Xbox Series X Enhanced Games Update to Internal SSD Instead of Install Location: When receiving an update for an S|X Enhanced game, the system redownloads the entire game with the update to the internal drive instead of the location the game is installed. The game is installed...