Xbox Series X does not allow HDR10:on with Screen resolutions below 4K

Discus and support Xbox Series X does not allow HDR10:on with Screen resolutions below 4K in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; Hi together, I am using an Asos ROG Strix Monitor XG279Q and this model supports 2560x1440@144hz native, but it seems it also supports 4K... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by guestar, Nov 15, 2020.

1. guestar
    guestar Guest

Hi together,

I am using an Asos ROG Strix Monitor XG279Q and this model supports 2560x1440@144hz native, but it seems it also supports 4K (3840x2160@60hz) as input resolution and the monitor downscale it to 1440.

I received the following results:

Xbox Resolution 1440p @ 120 Hz, allow 4K: yes --> result: maximum 60hz, HDR 10 works pretty well

Xbox Resolution 1440p @ 120 Hz, allow 4K: no --> result: maximum 120hz, HDR 10 is not working

Xbox Resolution 4K UHD @ 60 Hz --> result: maximum 60 Hz, HDR 10 works

My first summary: Basically, I have luck, that my Asus monitor is capable of a 4K signal, although the panel scale it down to 1440p. But on the other hand side - with this setting - I can not use my monitor's very fast panel with 120 or 140hz when I want
    to use HDR, which of course looks way better than SDR.

It seems that I have to decide between 120 Hz without HDR or 60 Hz with HDR. I would love to change the settings to 1440p @ 120 Hz with HDR on. I am really wondering why this is not possible/allowed.

Would be very interested in your experiences. Perhaps there are some workarounds or Microsoft is considering this in one of the next updates?

Cheers,

Günther

Screenshot allow 4K: (sorry - as I am from Austria, it is in German language)

Xbox Series X does not allow HDR10:on with Screen resolutions below 4K [​IMG]

Screenshot don't allow 4K:

Xbox Series X does not allow HDR10:on with Screen resolutions below 4K [​IMG]

:)

guestar, Nov 15, 2020
  2. guestar Win User

Hi,

Unfortunately the Asus ROG Strix XG279Q is limited to 60Hz with HDR, it's a limitation of the monitor hardware. It will either be HDR on or off I'm afraid.

A lot of gaming monitors have quite poor HDR, with low peak brightness. The "HDR" feature on a lot of monitors is a selling point that customers expect to see, rather than it being actually good. Also this monitor has a lot more input lag at 60Hz with HDR
    enabled.

I would drop HDR and enjoy 1440P at 120Hz as a better option. Making sure you also enable Variable Refresh Rate.
    Hi,

thank you for your fast reply and your explanation. Where did you find this info?

As I just bought this monitor because I thought it is a very good choice for the new Series X and the RTX 3070 as well, I can still change it to another Monitor - do you have any better suggestion for 27" and the Series X?

Thank you,

Günther
  3. guestar Win User

Wow - thank you - very detailed answer! Really thank you for your efforts.

I will investigate a little deeper and as Display-Port is no option for the Series X it probably would make anyway sense to wait for the upcoming HDMI 2.1 Monitors.
  4. Obsessive Power Win User

The information was found from the Rtings.com website
    here

I must point out, the 60Hz limitation with HDR is via HDMI on this monitor. There is no limitation on a PC via Display Port. A very good monitor for a PC armed with an RTX 3070.

Xbox consoles are very fussy when it comes to refresh rates over HDMI. Rather than use the preferred refresh rate that the monitor will tell the console it can use over E-EDID, Microsoft have chosen to only accept timings from the official VESA standard
    (Video Electronics Standards Association). If your chosen monitor doesn't have these timings, it won't be able to use all its features on an Xbox console.

This means you can't just go with what the marketing says on box, you have to dig deeper and look at the monitor manual and review sites to see what refresh rates are supported and, more importantly, if they are VESA.

Some monitor manuals actually state VESA and others put these other timings in a separate column called 'HDMI Video Timing'.
  5. Obsessive Power Win User

Hi,

Unfortunately the Asus ROG Strix XG279Q is limited to 60Hz with HDR, it's a limitation of the monitor hardware. It will either be HDR on or off I'm afraid.

A lot of gaming monitors have quite poor HDR, with low peak brightness. The "HDR" feature on a lot of monitors is a selling point that customers expect to see, rather than it being actually good. Also this monitor has a lot more input lag at 60Hz with HDR
    enabled.

I would drop HDR and enjoy 1440P at 120Hz as a better option. Making sure you also enable Variable Refresh Rate.
  6. ROBIN H 25 Win User

The upcoming X-Box Series X

Yes, I currently own an X Box One X

When does the new X Box series X release this year?

Will it have blue-ray?

I have a 65 inch, 4K television.

Will I see a difference in graphics with the new X Box on my 4K?
    Xbox Series X will release Holiday 2020, given Xbox's track record of releasing new consoles, they've usually been around November.

It will have Blu-Ray.

With the Xbox One X, it uses checkerboarding to get 4K resolution, though it's not true 4K, it's what allows the One X to get to 4K,

With the Xbox Series X, it will use true native 4K, you may see that the Series X will look a little better at 4K than the One X at 4K.
Thema:

1. Xbox Series X does not allow HDR10:on with Screen resolutions below 4K - Similar Threads - Series does allow

2. Does Xbox Series X have a built in surge protector?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Does Xbox Series X have a built in surge protector?: It was said by Microsoft/Xbox on the later model Xbox one X it had a built in surge protector and you should plug it directly into a wall so as not to daisy chain surge protectors. So does that...
  3. Why does the series X have so many problems with simple things?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Why does the series X have so many problems with simple things?: I don't get to play very often, but when i do i want something to actually work. I leave my system to do all of it updates, and yet when I'm trying to play a game like call of duty it randomly...
  4. Why does my Xbox series x crash when ever I try and play my games? It started today

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Why does my Xbox series x crash when ever I try and play my games? It started today: My xbox series x is crashing whenever i launch a game or play for over 10 minutes but it is getting worse and generally cant even load a game this is auporling and i want this sorted now...
  5. Does the new Xbox Series X need VRR

in XboX Insiders
    Does the new Xbox Series X need VRR: So I’m looking at a new tv and it has to be 50in or 43 to fit in the space I have. Problem is most TVs this size don’t have 2.1 or VRR. Does having a tv with free sync matter. Would I even be able...
  6. Does the Xbox Series X/S support 1080i?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Does the Xbox Series X/S support 1080i?: I was wondering if the new consoles will finally be able to run 1080i. c4590e56-7ad5-415a-b8a6-cd4c81b0e25e
  7. Why does my Xbox Series X do this? Sometimes only the bottom half of my TV will have the...

in XboX Insiders
    Why does my Xbox Series X do this? Sometimes only the bottom half of my TV will have the...: [IMG] submitted by /u/Particular-Ad6199 [link] [comments]
  8. Series X randomly disconnecting, only device that does this that I own.

in XboX Insiders
    Series X randomly disconnecting, only device that does this that I own.: I’ve had to constantly persist with this issue since the arrival of my series x. It’s genuinely frustrating as this is the only issue I’ve got with the console, everything else work perfectly....
  9. Does the Samsung HW-Q60T support 5.1 with the XB series X?

in XboX Insiders
    Does the Samsung HW-Q60T support 5.1 with the XB series X?: Does the Samsung HW-Q60T support 5.1 with the XB series X? Or just Bitstream? submitted by /u/bigdeal206 [link] [comments]
  10. Is there a reason that the Xbox Series X does not support HDR with Full RGB enabled?

in XboX Insiders
    Is there a reason that the Xbox Series X does not support HDR with Full RGB enabled?: When enabling Full RGB on my Series X it disables HDR. HDR only seems to work with the standard colour space. Is this something that can be fixed in a future update as I can't think of any reason...