Xbox Series X Enhanced Games Update to Internal SSD Instead of Install Location

Discus and support Xbox Series X Enhanced Games Update to Internal SSD Instead of Install Location in XboX Insiders to solve the problem; When receiving an update for an S|X Enhanced game, the system redownloads the entire game with the update to the internal drive instead of the location... Discussion in 'XboX Insiders' started by /u/maligmus, Nov 11, 2020.

1. /u/maligmus
    /u/maligmus Guest

When receiving an update for an S|X Enhanced game, the system redownloads the entire game with the update to the internal drive instead of the location the game is installed. The game is installed on the external HDD & is also set as the default install location. Once it is done I then have 2 installs of the game.

This happened with several games until I figured out what was happening. Specifically, I can say Forza Horizon 4 Grounded, & Gears 5. There were others, but I did not note the names. It is also worth noting that if you try and cancel the update that it uninstalls the entire game; this happened with Gears 5. When I went to the store to download Gears 5 again, it installed properly to the default install location; not the internal drive.

This only appears to happen when updating a game that is already installed.

submitted by /u/maligmus
    [link] [comments]

/u/maligmus, Nov 11, 2020
  2. Obsessive Power Win User

3.0 2Tb Seagate HDD comparability

Hi,

Your drive will work the same on Series X as it does on Xbox One and you won't need to format it.

However, Series X games or Xbox One games with Series X enhancements will not run from that drive and will either need to be installed internally or to an external SSD designed for Series X/S.

Your hard drive will be too slow for Series X games. They can be stored there, but not run from there.
  3. ROBIN H 25 Win User

Pre download Xbox Series X games

Not really...

Xbox Series X games / upgrades / updates has to be installed onto the Series X internal or expansion card SSD,

You can have Xbox One games on your external hard drive that will get an Series X upgrade but the games will need to be transferred to the Series X and then the Series X upgrade will need to be downloaded onto the Series X SSD,

As an example...

I have Marvel Avengers on my external hard drive that will get the Series X upgrade and I will transfer the game over to the Series X SSD ready to download and update the game to the Series X version when available.
  4. Daft Badger Win User

Xbox series s

Yep.

Just plug the external drive into the series s or x & you're good to go.

If you want to play any games that have series s/x enhancements then that game would need to be stored on the internal drive or the external ssd you can buy.
  5. s33r Win User

What's the Best Storage increase for XBOX SERIES X Console

The biggest difference is that if you want to play the Series X/S version of games they must be installed on the internal SSD or the Seagate SSD Expansion card. They cannot be installed on an external USB 3.0 drive, Quick Resume will also not work with any external USB drive. Previous generation games can still be launched from an external drive.

Personally I have the Seagate expansion SSD and prefer the speed and convenience it offers knowing that no matter what I'm installing the best version of the game and able to use all the enhancements that comes from playing on a Series X. It's worth noting that for the price, it's not much more that some of the high performances SSDs available for PC but it is definitely not cheap.
  6. Obsessive Power Win User

Xbox Series X

Hi,

All of the games either designed specifically for Series X/S or Xbox One games have been enhanced/optimised for Series X/S must be run either from the internal drive or the Storage Expansion card.

This use of the SSD isn't specifically down to the frame rate as that is handled by the processing and graphics hardware. The reason why they must be installed to the faster SSD is down to the way next gen games are decompressed and loaded into the system.
    A specially designed SSD is the way this is achieved, what Microsoft calls 'Xbox
    Velocity Architecture
    '.

All Xbox One games will benefit from Series X/S hardware with more stable frame rates and performance, but Xbox One games that have been specifically re-coded and optimised for Series X/S must be run from the faster SSD drives.
Thema:

1. Xbox Series X Enhanced Games Update to Internal SSD Instead of Install Location - Similar Threads - Series Enhanced Games

2. Splinter Cell games enhanced for the Xbox one x/series X

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Splinter Cell games enhanced for the Xbox one x/series X: I'm a big fan of the 1st 4 splinter cell games, I still have the 1st 4 games from the 2001 Xbox, (it died early 2018). I just watched part of an SCDA video that said enhanced on the header, it was...
  3. Xbox Series X - Xbox One (non-enhanced) Games Crashing To Home

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Xbox Series X - Xbox One (non-enhanced) Games Crashing To Home: I ordered a Series X console from the Microsoft Store (online) last month on September 9th. After receiving it, I set up my console for the Delta preview and everything was great for about a week,...
  4. Xbox Series X - Xbox One (non-enhanced) Games Crashing To Home

in XboX Insiders
    Xbox Series X - Xbox One (non-enhanced) Games Crashing To Home: I ordered a Series X console from the Microsoft Store (online) last month on September 9th. After receiving it, I set up my console for the Delta preview and everything was great for about a week,...
  5. Games that aren't series s/x enhanced look bad

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Games that aren't series s/x enhanced look bad: So I have a Series S and I'm playing Soul Calibur 6 which is not series s or x enhanced and it looks terrible. Is this a thing were all non series enhanced games look like (Mod Removed) on the...
  6. Series X Enhanced games not reading controller input

in XboX Insiders
    Series X Enhanced games not reading controller input: I wanna start off by saying I have tried my best to listen to old posts and learn from them. Either they seem to have a different issue or they had a fox that is failing so this post is for me to...
  7. Series S plays one x enhanced games?

in XboX Insiders
    Series S plays one x enhanced games?: Series S owners: if you look at Destiny 2 details page on the Microsoft store it says that series s gets the one x enhanced version but not 4k (obviously). Do we get downgraded one x versions of...
  8. Are Xbox Series X|S optimized games even slightly enhanced for the Xbox One X?

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Are Xbox Series X|S optimized games even slightly enhanced for the Xbox One X?: I have an Xbox One X and have not switched to the new Series consoles. A lot of the newer games coming out are Xbox Series X|S optimized, but they aren't Xbox One X enhanced. Will these newer...
  9. Xbox Series X Crashes when I play X/S enhanced games

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox Series X Crashes when I play X/S enhanced games: Tried to play World of Warships Legends on my new Series X and after I get passed the main login screen for the game after 4 seconds it hard crashes my xbox and turns it off. I was able to play...
  10. Buying a Series X enhanced game to play on game-sharing xbox one

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Buying a Series X enhanced game to play on game-sharing xbox one: If I pre-order the $70 version of MLB The Show 21 to play on my Series X, will my cousin, who is game-sharing with me, be able to play this version on his Xbox One or will he need to buy the...