Xbox Series X tripping circuit breaker

Discus and support Xbox Series X tripping circuit breaker in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; I recently got the Series X and after the first 10 hours or so of total play time, experienced the first circuit breaker trip. I did have it plugged in... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by NaClPlatypus, May 6, 2021.

1. NaClPlatypus
    NaClPlatypus Guest

I recently got the Series X and after the first 10 hours or so of total play time, experienced the first circuit breaker trip. I did have it plugged in to a power strip, but after reading that could cause problems plugged it in to an extension cord and into the wall. When that didn't remedy the issue, I bought a giant hdmi cable in order to position the console near enough an outlet to plug it directly into the socket. However, the console is still tripping the circuit breaker for the room it's set up in. The only things pulling power from that socket are the console, a small desk lamp, and the TV. Are there any solutions to preventing the console from tripping my circuit breaker that don't involve breaking building codes?

:)

NaClPlatypus, May 6, 2021
  2. Tezzarrific Win User

try a different power cable, if not then i would get an electrician to come test those sockets and take a reading to see if the sockets are bad or the console, least then you know and then you know you are safe.

if it turns out to be the console then send for replacement.
  3. SwordofWhedon Win User

What other things are on the same circuit as that outlet is the question you need to answer. If your house or apartment is old, throwing an extra 250 to 300 W on the line might be enough to do it if say or refrigerator is on there, heating unit something else. The same outlet can share the same circuit with many many other ones
  4. brandiesel1 Win User

Changing ceiling fan speed causes xbox one s to flicker on the tv screen???

They probably have the fan and the outlet on the same circuit. If it's flickering it's probably getting close to tripping the breaker. It also depends on how many other things are tied to that circuit.
  5. pbwpro5 Win User

Xbox One X turned itself off, won't turn back on

Actually, I found that every time I play a 4k game (Forza 7) my circuit breaker would trip. I played Destiny 2 and watch TV with no issues. There is no way I am going to run power from a different room or add a circuit just to play
    video games. I am running a LG OLED 65", the XBox One X, my Xfinity X1 box and a Sonos Playbar on the same surge protector. On the same circuit I also I have 2 lights, a controller charger and a small 3 gallon aquarium.
  6. IceStorm III Win User

Just thinking...

[quote user="A Natural Smell"]Didn't they have to replace the power cable on the first xbox .[/quote]Not exactly. The original XBOX's power connector wasn't connected to anything but the power supply PCB. Continual plugging and unplugging would weaken the
    solder joints on the connector and eventually it broke. The power cable supplied in the recall included a circuit breaker (like your hair dryer) so that if the pins broke and the connector shorted the circuit breaker would trip instead of the console catching
    fire or electrocuting someone.

tl;dr: The cable was fine, the PSU was faulty.
Thema:

1. Xbox Series X tripping circuit breaker - Similar Threads - Series tripping circuit

2. The fan on my Series S is still on after a few minutes

in XBoX on Consoles
    The fan on my Series S is still on after a few minutes: When I turned off my Xbox, the fan stayed on for a few minutes, but my Xbox is in energy-saving mode. So I was wondering why the fan stayed on for so long although my Xbox is in energy-saving...
  3. XBOX SERIES X - blue screen, Stuttering, fps issues.

in XBoX on Consoles
    XBOX SERIES X - blue screen, Stuttering, fps issues.: Middle button takes 2+ seconds to appear when doing anything (YouTube,netflix,games,crunchyroll) The video stutters (fps wise) , I also saw a brief blue screen last night for around 1 second....
  4. Xbox series s

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Xbox series s: we just purchased an Xbox series s. All games are digital, we purchased six games and are having issues with many of them. They are glitching really bad…mountain appears in the road of need for...
  5. Streming xbox series s

in XBoX on Consoles
    Streming xbox series s: So my xboxs hdmi port is broken and repair cost too much and i cant afford, is there any way that i can play with my xbox 1080 p 60 fps? Like if i buy a usb to hdmi adapter can i play it? Or is...
  6. Should FIFA 21 be at 60fps on series X?

in XboX Insiders
    Should FIFA 21 be at 60fps on series X?: So I just downloaded the Xbox series X version of FIFA 21 but it still doesn’t run at 60fps. You can clearly notice that it is at 30 when I’m playing or in the main menu. Most of my other games do...
  7. Playing the same game on an XBox One S and XBox Series S at the same time

in XBoX on Consoles
    Playing the same game on an XBox One S and XBox Series S at the same time: Hello, I must confess that the XBox licensing is so confusing to me. I have an XBox One S and a microsoft XBox Gamertag and a digital copy of Minecraft. I have now purchased an XBox Series S for...
  8. Alpha Update Killed my Xbox Series X

in XboX Insiders
    Alpha Update Killed my Xbox Series X: It started with a black screen. Could only long press the Xbox button on the controller to make the shutdown/restart/report/magnifier screen show up. That was as far as UI elements goes. Doesn’t...
  9. Will there be bigger external storage options for the new Xbox Series?

in XboX Insiders
    Will there be bigger external storage options for the new Xbox Series?: I made a Reddit account to ask this question and it took me 35 mins to figure out how to post this. With the new Xbox series X there is a 1 terabyte external storage option,because of the price...
  10. Breaker Tripping --- no issue for Xbox One but Xbox Series X directly into wall keeps tripping

in XBoX on Consoles
    Breaker Tripping --- no issue for Xbox One but Xbox Series X directly into wall keeps tripping: Previously had a Xbox one plugged in to media room circuit via a surge protector, never an issue. Got Xbox Series X and plugged it in same way and tripped breaker twice the first day. Looked...