Xbox shuts off after a few seconds

Discus and support Xbox shuts off after a few seconds in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; My Xbox had been working fine. I was playing a game and some images weren't displaying. Usually, you just wait a minute and they load. I tried to... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by CarlRood, Feb 9, 2019.

1. CarlRood
    CarlRood Guest

My Xbox had been working fine. I was playing a game and some images weren't displaying. Usually, you just wait a minute and they load. I tried to navigate to another part of the game and it appeared to freeze. I then went to try and reboot the Xbox,
    but I couldn't navigate Xbox menu. After a few minutes, the game appeared to come back, so it may have just been running slowly. However, I still couldn't navigate the Xbox menu.

I then unplugged the console and plugged it back in. Now, when I try to turn it on, the light comes on for a few seconds and then turns off. The light on the power supply turns amber.

:)

CarlRood, Feb 9, 2019
  2. CarlRood Win User

That appeared to be temporary at best. When I tried to go to the My Apps and Games menu, it was blank and I couldn't get it to switch back to TV. This was only about 5-10 minutes after the successful reboot. I tried the power supply reset. No good.
    Now there's something really weird. The amber light is on the power supply despite it not being plugged in to either the wall or the Xbox.
  3. CarlRood Win User

I tried both suggestions. I tried the reset, on the console, but I'm not sure anything happened since the light was off the whole time. The console had been off for a while, so it wasn't warm, but I blew out the dust with an air can. I also did the
    power supply reset. It booted, but it ended up in a frozen state. I got the "Hi" message with my name and then got an incomplete screen. I could see the name of the last game I played, but no image. Trying to access the menu from a button on the controller
    just dimmed the screen. Pressing again undimmed the screen.

I powered off again and the problem occurred again. I only did the power supply reset and also plugged into a different outlet. Now it booted normally. I haven't tried playing a game, but I can now watch cable TV through the HDMI pass through
  4. Jurgen1488 Win User

Your Xbox is probably overheating. It will be good to clean it at least from dust. Either give him a cleanup or service.
  5. XBF Lance J Win User

Hey Carl,

Thank you for reaching out. If you haven't already, please check out our
    Power Supply solution
    for some quick and easy troubleshooting steps. If you are able to get it back on and are still experiencing those freezing issues, look into performing a

factory reset
    while keeping your games and apps. Let us know how it goes! :D
  6. {Parity} Win User

Sounds like it is overheating. Make sure all vents are clear of dust and debris and the console is well ventilated.

Try performing a hard reset EXACTLY like this. Hold the power button on the console for 8 seconds or until the power shuts down completely.
    Unplug the power cord from the back of the console for 5 minutes.
    Plug the power cord back in and restart the console.
Thema:

1. Xbox shuts off after a few seconds - Similar Threads - shuts off few

2. 2 month old elite controller randomly shuts off.

in XBoX on Consoles
    2 month old elite controller randomly shuts off.: Xbox Elite controller. The newer white one with the better components, 2 months old. Randomly turns off. Sometimes it happens three times in 10 minutes other times it doesn't happen for hours....
  3. My xbox one is updating but when it gets to 52% it shuts off.

in XBoX on Consoles
    My xbox one is updating but when it gets to 52% it shuts off.: My xbox one is updating but when it gets to 52% it shuts off. This has happened multiple times and is continuing to happen. Also the only way to turn it on is to turn on the controller first if I...
  4. Xbox one s shutting off when playing games

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox one s shutting off when playing games: Recently bought a new xbox one s a couple days ago. Set it up and everything seemed fine. Until i downloaded a few games. Xbox 360 games ran fine, but the xbox one games i played(Gears of...
  5. XBOX ONE Shutting off while gaming

in XBoX on Consoles
    XBOX ONE Shutting off while gaming: My XBOX ONE is shutting off by itself while playing games. It does not shut off while watching VUDU or anything. 8441ff36-eb37-4c2d-8e77-704c2123d5f5
  6. Xbox Shutting Off

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox Shutting Off: I am trying to play Anthem. I have been getting multiple game crashes occurring (havent been able to get past 2nd mission in about a hour of playtime). A couple times now though my Xbox One X’s...
  7. My Ext. Hard Drive shuts my XBONE off/crashes

in XBoX on Consoles
    My Ext. Hard Drive shuts my XBONE off/crashes: The usb cable itself is fine, but everytime I connect it to the cable, then into the Xbox, the console immediatly shuts off and restarts itself. I’ve kept the ex drive in and pushed the power...
  8. Xbox will randomly shut off and lose all power

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox will randomly shut off and lose all power: So Ive had my XBox One for about a year now and a couple months back it just shut off. The light on the power supply brick was off and there was no warnings before and still nothing when I turned...
  9. Xbox one 1TB, powers on for a few seconds then shuts off

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox one 1TB, powers on for a few seconds then shuts off: I've got 2 Xbox one 1TB, and both of them have the same problem. They power on for a few seconds then shuts off, I've tried a power brick from a working Xbox one, and still have the same problem...
  10. Xbox one won't play games and shuts off a few minutes after turned on, no power!

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox one won't play games and shuts off a few minutes after turned on, no power!: Our Xbox one has been shutting off, completely disconnected from power...no lights on bar or console..dead as dead...this only happens when we attempt to play a game whether it is on disc or...