Xbox Wireless controller not charging anymore - Microsoft charging cable doesn't light...

Discus and support Xbox Wireless controller not charging anymore - Microsoft charging cable doesn't light... in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; Hi team, I've had an Xbox One X for a few years now and the Xbox One before that and I haven't played the Xbox One X for a number of months now but... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by MikeyJeff, Mar 22, 2021.

1. MikeyJeff
    MikeyJeff Guest

Xbox Wireless controller not charging anymore - Microsoft charging cable doesn't light...

Hi team,

I've had an Xbox One X for a few years now and the Xbox One before that and I haven't played the Xbox One X for a number of months now but started to play it again recently and have noticed that my Xbox Wireless Controller model 1708 (the slightly newer one that came with my Xbox One X) no longer charges the Microsoft rechargeable battery (model 1556) the way it used to. It used to be flawless - the Xbox charging cable would light up orange, charge the battery and then would turn white when it was finished. It has stopped doing this now for some reason. When I plug the controller into the charging cable, my Xbox recognises it and it vibrates, but the icon on my TV screen indicates it is connected, but not charging.

I feel as if this has only started recently as I recharged the controller a few weeks ago and it seemed to work fine, but when I tried to do this charging again a few nights ago, it simply wouldn't oblige.

I have two of these cables - one from my newer Xbox One X and one from my older Xbox One and both cables exhibit the same behaviour. I don't believe there is anything wrong with the cables, as I have used both these cables to charge, let us say "another" console with a wireless controller and it charges perfectly.

Just wondering what is going on here - is this a simple case of the wireless battery failing or is this due to a recent software update or something else. I am reluctant to buy another wireless battery unless I'm certain this is the issue - is there a way to find out and diagnose this problem more accurately?

Welcome some advice here.

Best wishes

Mike.

:)

MikeyJeff, Mar 22, 2021
  2. IceStorm III Win User

Xbox 360 Controller does not work on my PC ?

You're using a wired controller, a wireless controller and the Wireless Gaming Adapter, or a wireless controller with a Play & Charge cable? The Play & Charge cable option won't work as that cable doesn't transport data.
  3. Obsessive Power Win User

lag again

[quote user="NanoTechSoldier"]

It's a lot more responsive, with the Play & Charge Cable in etc..[/quote]

A wireless controller won't be more responsive with the play and charge in, because the play and charge doesn't send any data. The play and charge just charges, the wireless controller still remains wireless regardless.
  4. KernelModule Win User

Xbox Wireless Controller Wont Work On Laptop

Your going to have to buy a wireless receiver or get a wired controller. The USB charging cable doesn't do anything but charge the battery.
  5. XBF Diego M Win User

Xbox Play and charge kit says its charged in Windows but disconnects after a few seconds

Hi MightySlothGuy,

Thank you for posting on the Xbox forums. I'd be happy to answer that!

Unfortunately the charging cable that comes with the Xbox Play and Charge kit is not a data cable so you will not be able to use that cable to use the Xbox One controller on a Windows 10 PC. If the LED does not glow, then that means there is no rechargeable
    battery in the controller to charge or the cable may not be charging correctly but a white LED means the battery is charged and an orange light means the battery is charging.

You will need to connect your controller to a Windows 10 PC with the wireless adapter or with a normal data transferring micro USB cable, not with the Xbox Play & Charge kit charging cable as that will not work as designed.
  6. Obsessive Power Win User

Xbox 360 wired controller not connecting to Windows 10

I have checked the Device Manager and saw "Xbox 360 Wireless Controller via Play & Charge Kit"..
    This is why. The wireless 360 controller is always wireless, it can't be turned into a wired controller. The cable can only charge the battery, it doesn't send data.

To use your wireless controller you need an Xbox 360 gaming receiver.
Thema:

1. Xbox Wireless controller not charging anymore - Microsoft charging cable doesn't light... - Similar Threads - Wireless controller charging

2. Xbox 360 wireless controller not charging with PC

in XBoX on Windows
    Xbox 360 wireless controller not charging with PC: I am trying to use two xbox 360 wireless controllers for gaming on my desktop PC. The controllers are in sync with my Microsoft wireless adapter. Controllers work as long as the play and charge...
  3. Play and Charge Kit on PC with XBOX ONE wireless controller

in XBoX on Windows
    Play and Charge Kit on PC with XBOX ONE wireless controller: I purchased and Xbox One controller (Microsoft Brand), and I love it. It works wireless with AA batteries. I decided to get this Play and Charge kit (Microsoft brand) instead of rechargeable AA...
  4. I don't know how to charge my battery pack for my xbox 360 wireless controller

in XBoX on Consoles
    I don't know how to charge my battery pack for my xbox 360 wireless controller: My controller is wireless and has a rechargeable battery pack but I don't know how to charge it. My console is almost 10 years old so I possibly could have lost the charge cord. I have the main...
  5. Elite Wireless Controller charging via USB (2.0) 5v 0.5A or 5v 1A ?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Elite Wireless Controller charging via USB (2.0) 5v 0.5A or 5v 1A ?: Hi everyone I would like to charge my Elite wireless II controller via the dock using my TV USB 2.0 rather than the xbox just because the Xbox isn't always on necessarily. Would it damage the...
  6. Elite Wireless Controller 2 Charging Dock Doesn't Work

in XBoX on Consoles
    Elite Wireless Controller 2 Charging Dock Doesn't Work: Hi there, I have a new Xbox One X Elite Wireless Controller Series 2 controller. After each session I sat it on its charging dock and assumed it was charging, until many hours of gameplay later...
  7. Problem with charging the battery in the wireless controller, Xbox One X

in XBoX on Consoles
    Problem with charging the battery in the wireless controller, Xbox One X: Problem with charging the battery in the wireless controller, Xbox One X Xbox One X wireless controller (Original). I connect the controller cable to the console and start charging for about 5 or...
  8. All My Xbox 360 Wireless Controllers for Windows w/ Charge & Play Stopped Charging

in XBoX Games and Apps
    All My Xbox 360 Wireless Controllers for Windows w/ Charge & Play Stopped Charging: When I plug the cord into the controller, the battery packs do not charge on any of them, I have 4 controllers, each with their own charge & play battery & cable. NONE of them will charge, I've...
  9. Xbox Wireless Controller and Play & Charge Kit Bundle shut down

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox Wireless Controller and Play & Charge Kit Bundle shut down: Hi, I bought an Xbox Wireless Controller and Play & Charge Kit Bundle in France, in January 12, 2017 (I still have the receipt), and he unfortunatly shut it down today.... After some checks, I...
  10. Xbox One Wireless Controller With Play & Charge Kit

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox One Wireless Controller With Play & Charge Kit: The Xbox One battery kit is from Lition? I ask because microsoft does not say it anywhere. df102de7-4642-4ab5-a20c-6c00e76ddde1